join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to steelingbox

Re: Microsoft Rumored to Release Subscription-based Windows Blue

said by steelingbox:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Snakeoil:

IMO, why should I pay for an OS?

Of course not everyone wants to run Linux. It does require more effort than even OSX (which is *nix with a pretty shell) to run well. Some people are willing to pay for convenience.

Give me an example because Linux seems to be much less effort to use than both Windows and OSX. Examples?

SMB file sharing. Video Drivers (Nvidia - still need to run installer as root and have the source/dev packages for your OS installed so it can compile the driver) Cups printer management. Backup.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

steelingbox

join:2005-07-09
Deltona, FL
said by JohnInSJ:

SMB file sharing. Video Drivers (Nvidia - still need to run installer as root and have the source/dev packages for your OS installed so it can compile the driver) Cups printer management. Backup.

SMB file sharing is a Windows technology not Linux but still works for me without any effort. My proprietary video drivers are installed in one mouse click. Cups was developed by Apple for Unix and agreed needs some work but 2 out of the three things you point out are generally issues on remote machines not a stand alone workstation.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by steelingbox:

said by JohnInSJ:

SMB file sharing is a Windows technology not Linux but still works for me without any effort. My proprietary video drivers are installed in one mouse click. Cups was developed by Apple for Unix and agreed needs some work but 2 out of the three things you point out are generally issues on remote machines not a stand alone workstation.

I'm comparing using a Linux box at home like I use windows boxes, and on my linux box to get Nvidia drivers (not the generics) I have to either be four point releases behind Nvidia's current driver, or if I want to be current like on a windows box, I have to compile it. Spin that how you will, it's more work.

It's not the only thing. I like linux, and use it. It's way better for ease of use/point and click admin than it was even 4 years ago... but it's still not anything I'd have my mother use.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us