Search similar:

uniqs
tomdlgns
Premium Member
join:2003-03-21

tomdlgns

Premium Member

uverse bridge mode

prior to having uverse at this business location there was a dsl modem/gateway (not a built in router). with that setup, other networking equipment was used to handle DNS, DHCP, more customization, etc...the dsl modem had to be put into bridge mode and the pppoe authentication was done on the linksys router that was setup behind the dsl modem (dsl modem to WAN of linksys router, all other network devices on the network into LAN, the basic/obvious setup).

Manufacturer 2Wire, Inc.
Model 3801HGV

with the device above, i dont see any options for bridge mode. i have been reading the att forums and there are others that are looking to do the same thing and i have read a few suggestions, but before i did that i wanted to post here and see if anyone else has been in the same situation that i am in now.

i am only using uverse for internet, not using the tv or phone service. i read that the main reason for not allowing DNS changes on their gateway is to make sure the TV set top boxes can connect back to att servers for tv, for the users who have the tv service.

is there a way to put this device in a true bridge mode?

unfortunately they are phasing out DSL service and marking up the price to get people to switch.

the cost of DSL (package that was in place before uverse) was $31.99 per month for 748 kbps down and 150 kbps up and the uverse plan was $40.00 per month for 12 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up (first 3 months billed at $25.00). obviously it made sense to switch, but having the old modem in bridge mode was very convenient since i needed to use my own gear and was able to do so with that configuration.

thanks

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You are correct there is no "true bridge mode" with a uverse internet connection.
Uverse does not use pppoe.

I doubt you'll find a way to configure the 3801 or any of the other uverse modems for "true bridge mode".

"True bridge mode" is not needed there are other configurations that will mimic "true bridge mode"

What you want to do can be done without configuring the 3801 for "true bridge mode".
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

great, any ideas where to start/what your suggestions are?

i can post the guide/notes i found, but i didnt want to do that without seeing someone else's suggestion to match it up against.

however, i can share it now, let me know.

thank you.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

It's very simple.......
Configure the 3801 or second router so that they don't use the
same subnet. If you need to disable the wifi of the 3801 do it

Set the wan/internet port of the second router to use dhcp.

The 3801 has a dmz plus option, apply that option to the second router.

Release and renew the wan/internet port ip address of the second router

Doing this will allow the 3801 to share it's public ip address with the second router

Sebehk
USN Retired, 1993-2013, yvan eht nioj
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO

Sebehk to tomdlgns

Premium Member

to tomdlgns
wayjac See Profile is correct. I did that two years ago when I wanted to use MY OWN ROUTER vice the gateway.

--->Robert
8-)
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
thanks, that is basically what the instructions i have say. the person who drafted those instructions included some extra options, uncheck this, uncheck that, etc...but basically they are identical.

if i DMZ the router i plan on using, does that mean anything connected to it that requires open ports will not need to have ports forwarded? or is does the dmz rule/option on the 2wire just pass through the router data and make the 2wire function as a bridge device? if it's the latter, i assume the second router i am going to use will function as if it is the main router and i will have to open ports in that. right now i disabled DHCP on the router i was using and it is just functioning as a switch (i also disabled the ports i had open and reconfigured them in the 2wire.

current setup is 2wire (192.168.1.254)-----lan------linksys router (192.168.1.1) with everything disabled on the linksys router, just a switch.

what i need to do is....

2wire (192.168.1.254)----LAN---->to the WAN of linksys (192.168.2.1) (after i follow steps above).

and that will allow my linksys to run as if it were the only router on the network.
tomdlgns

tomdlgns to Sebehk

Premium Member

to Sebehk
thank you for the feedback. are you connecting anything to the 2wire or is everything strictly connected to your router?

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to tomdlgns

MVM

to tomdlgns
The reason you're exploring this option is you don't want to use the 3801 as the router for you lan devices.

The 2wire cannot be bridged you are just adding a second router

If you intend to connect a device other than the second router to the 3801 you might as well not use the second router

As I posted applying the dmz plus option to the second router will make it the router for any devices connected to it.

The dmz plus option shares the public ip address, when a device has a public ip address there is no need to forward ports.

The changes you posted loook correct to me.

The second router will always be the second router

More or less this configuration will make the second router the router for all devices that are connected to it.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

right, i understand that, i should have been a bit more specific with one more thing.

assuming i set it up as per your directions, the second router will function as a regular router, as if the 2wire wasnt there. just for knowing the answer (i dont intend to operate it this way) if i were to plug a computer/device into another lan port on the 2wire, would it still hand out IP addresses as if my router were not connected/handing out its own IP addresses?

or will the 2wire just act as a passthrough to the router, meaning, it will ignore anything else plugged into the other available lan ports?

i understand what you are describing, it sounds like it is exactly what i need/want to do, just curious at this point. i could try it right now, but i am not on site.

my plan was to install pfsense at this location. before i configure a pfsense box, i want to confirm i can do all this with the linksys router. if i can do it with the linksys router, i know i can do it with the pfsense box.

thanks.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

I'm guessing your last post is directed to me??????

If you connect a dhcp device to the 3801 lan/wifi the 3801 dhcp server will allocate a ip address to each device that makes a request.

The 3801 will always be the first router because it must establish the internet connection and share it's public ip address with the second router
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

got it, so i still have two active routers. i will only be using my router, but i was just curious.

thank you.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

Yes,
One modem/router
One router

What dsl modem/gateway was in use before the uverse installation?

Thank you!!!!
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

Yes,
One modem/router
One router

What dsl modem/gateway was in use before the uverse installation?

Thank you!!!!

off hand, not sure, i still have it at the site, not there right now.

i want to say it was a speed stream.

cybersleauth
join:2012-03-04
Livonia, MI

cybersleauth to tomdlgns

to tomdlgns
I found an article explaining how a service tech put a Model 3801HGV into "Bridge Mode". I followed it using my D-Link Dir 825 and was able to get IPV6 from Hurricane Electric. On the Dir 825 I did not use DMZ as I forward ports to different pc's. Ipv6 now comes through all the pc's, with or without using DHCP. Probally cuz Dir-825vb. has seperate screens for Ipv6 and its own dhcp. Hurrican Electric stated somewhere it needs Ping to find the router. I have since turned off ping and have Ipv6 after several reboots. Turning off Plug and Play in the router is recommended for security reasons. Here is the article.
»scottworldblog.wordpress ··· extreme/
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns to wayjac

Premium Member

to wayjac
i just re-read this...

"The dmz plus option shares the public ip address, when a device has a public ip address there is no need to forward ports."

i dont want my devices open w/o having to open ports. will the second router, the one behind the 2wire, not function like a normal router?

cybersleauth
join:2012-03-04
Livonia, MI

cybersleauth

My Hobby Website: »www.viewcrafters.com

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to tomdlgns

MVM

to tomdlgns
Is it one of these dsl modem/gateways?

/r0/download/852825~4df1ee0522e5b61a1c2cda0d60ed0352/modems_.jpg
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

looks like the 5100a

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to tomdlgns

MVM

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:

i dont want my devices open w/o having to open ports.

I've posted this bit of info several times.....
If you didn't have "all the ports open" on the 3801
You would need to forward ports on the 3801 and the second router when ever you needed ports opened.

Right now with the dmz plus enabled if you need to open port(s)
You just need to do it on the second router only

You have not posted a model number for the linksys, but it's very likley no ports are open as a default.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

wayjac, i appreciate your help, but am i reading this wrong?

"The dmz plus option shares the public ip address, when a device has a public ip address there is no need to forward ports."

if i dmz the second router, you state that i dont need to open ports.

then you stated this:

"If you didn't have "all the ports open" on the 3801
You would need to forward ports on the 3801 and the second router when ever you needed ports opened."

the linksys is a standard linksys router, i think it is a wrt54g. it HAD ports open back when it was my only router and the DSL modem was in bridge mode, that is how i was able to view the web cameras off site.

right NOW it is connected to the 3801 with DHCP disabled (the linksys) and wifi disabled (the linksys). with DHCP disabled, it is basically a switch with an IP address (192.168.1.1).

your instructions make sense and i have no problem setting it up that way.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to tomdlgns

MVM

to tomdlgns
The 5100a is a bridge modem and it's not easy to make configuration changes to it.
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

said by wayjac:

The 5100a is a bridge modem and it's not easy to make configuration changes to it.

who said anything about making configuration changes to it?

also, it looks like the 5100a, it might not be that, exactly. i can check next time i am there.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to tomdlgns

MVM

to tomdlgns
said by tomdlgns:
wayjac, i appreciate your help, but am i reading this wrong?

said by wayjac:
Maybe maybe not......Sometimes I have a hard time conveying information.........sorry

said by tomdlgns:
The dmz plus option shares the public ip address, when a device has a public ip address there is no need to forward ports."

said by wayjac:
This is a true statement.....I think you are forgetting that your devices are connected to a second router

said by tomdlgns:
if i dmz the second router, you state that i dont need to open ports.

said by wayjac:
I did not ask you to dmz the second router.
It''s the 3801 that I told you to dmz plus....
If this alarms you don't dmz plus the 3801.....but
If you don't dmz plus the 3801
You will need to forward ports on the 3801 and the second router whenever you needed ports opened.

said by tomdlgns:
the linksys is a standard linksys router, i think it is a wrt54g. it HAD ports open back when it was my only router and the DSL modem was in bridge mode, that is how i was able to view the web cameras off site.

said by wayjac:
When making big changes to a setup like you're considering it's wise to factory reset and start anew.

said by tomdlgns:
right NOW it is connected to the 3801 with DHCP disabled (the linksys) and wifi disabled (the linksys). with DHCP disabled, it is basically a switch with an IP address (192.168.1.1)..

said by wayjac:
Ok...but you are about to make some changes and the new configuration may not mirror the old setup
wayjac

wayjac to tomdlgns

MVM

to tomdlgns
In your first post is this:
the dsl modem had to be put into bridge mode
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

yes, the device i had before uverse. i dont have that anymore.
tomdlgns

tomdlgns

Premium Member

ok, let's start over.

forget what i have, explaining my current setup and trying to talk about the new setup might be a bad idea.

i have a 2 wire uverse all in one router that i want to bypass and use my own equipment.

however, i would like to make sure the following is possible:

-open a port or ports...on the linksys, which sits behind the 2wire

-bypass the 2wire, allow it to only act as a gateway for the linksys/rest of the network.

in order to do that, this is what was recommended:

"Configure the 3801 or second router so that they don't use the
same subnet. If you need to disable the wifi of the 3801 do it

Set the wan/internet port of the second router to use dhcp.

The 3801 has a dmz plus option, apply that option to the second router.

Release and renew the wan/internet port ip address of the second router

Doing this will allow the 3801 to share it's public ip address with the second router"

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

I really don't to go over info I've already posted.....

Once you make the changes to the 3801 and the second router has a public ip address you can forget about the 3801

You'll be able to forward ports on the linksys

You seem to be convinced that the 3801 will not allow you to operate like you were in the past.
I think what you want will happen because it's possible without bridge mode..

Doubts will prevail when you ask "what if"
tomdlgns
Premium Member

tomdlgns

Premium Member

got it, thank you for the confirmation. that is what i am looking to do, operate as if the 3801 is not there.

i just got the sense that there was wrong info after re-reading some of the posts.

thank you.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

You are going to do something new.....it's normal to have serious doubts and want to go back to what you know works

While there is a wealth of good information to be found.....
There is just as much or more bad information to be found too

You don't even need to use the second router the 3801 can do it alone
tomdlgns
Premium Member

1 edit

tomdlgns

Premium Member

i dont think the 3801 can do it all, for starters, i cant use my own DNS servers. i already opened up the ports i need in the 3801 to get the cameras working, but i cant do what i want with it.

that is why i put the old dsl modem in bridge mode and used my own router.

now, if you can tell me how to use my own static DNS servers and push them out to the rest of the network, please share.

thanks.