share rss forum feed

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to tomdlgns

Re: uverse bridge mode

If a tech says he doesn't have one, refuse the work until you get a tech that has one. They are out there

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
right, normally i would do that, however, that day i was going from DSL to uverse and the tech called me while he was switching the wiring from old dsl to uverse. since it was on a second line for the business he wanted to make sure we didnt need internet/on the phone while he was completing the work.

at that time, i asked him if he had gateway only and he said no, but i asked him to keep going because:

-i could only be at this site for a short period of time
-he already started the wiring, i didnt want to make him do extra work
-not his fault if the dispatcher didnt properly write down my notes
-the dsl was extremely slow, less than 1 Mbps and uverse was 12 Mbps. i could deal with not having the gateway i needed (temporarily) for the better speed.

thanks.

ymhee_bcex
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to ILpt4U
said by ILpt4U:

You can get a modem only on U-Verse. You need to attain a Motorola 2310

No, you can't - at least not in this service area. This was the only choice of the gateway (reminds me of elections in the Soviet Union - you have a choice of one candidate).

Probably I could get a replacement for the gateway... but it takes an hour on the phone; and waste an hour for something that I don't even need is just not worth it!
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
As long as you have single pair VDSL2 U-Verse, the Moto 2310 is a compatible U-Verse VDSL2 modem, nationwide. Getting your hands on one may be trickier

ymhee_bcex
Premium
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·PHONE POWER
·AT&T U-Verse
said by ILpt4U:

As long as you have single pair VDSL2 U-Verse, the Moto 2310 is a compatible U-Verse VDSL2 modem, nationwide. Getting your hands on one may be trickier

You may be right; and AT&T support may be wrong. However, I get the service from AT&T, and for better or for worse, their opinion prevails. So, I have to go with what they said - that the only gateway that is compatible with my service is the one that they sent.

I don't know whether I have single pair VDSL2 U-Verse... Frankly, I don't even know what it is.
--
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL

1 edit
here is something that is pissing me off. when i first made this thread, i was able to access the camera system on site over the internet, which tells me that i port forwarded the ports properly.

i had to create user defined ports and assign them to the computer. again, it was working because i was viewing them from an off site location.

was working friday, saturday, sunday...sunday night. tried this morning, nothing is working.

i have log me in access to the camera computer. i confirmed the router still has the proper ports opened. computer firewall is off (windows xp), PC still has the same static IP address.

this is funny, it just stopped working. i am wondering if a reboot of the modem/router will fix it, but i cant do that from where i am at. i might invest in a power adapter that i can control over the internet so i can power cycle the equipment whenever i want.

»www.proxicast.com/shopping/index···id=29918

very strange. i have been running a ping -t command on the WAN IP.

6402 packets sent
6365 packets received

37 lost

0% loss

normally i dont see a loss of more than 1-5, even though it shows 0% loss, something doesnt seem right, i wonder it AT&T is working on something?

edit- i called someone on site who has access to the room where the dsl equipment is in and asked them to power cycle the DSL modem/router. after that, everything that i couldn't be accessed remotely started working. nothing wrong with power cycling, but it hasnt been a week yet, so i hope this isnt normal.

another reason to buy that internet ready power outlet box.

tomdlgns
Premium
Chicago, IL
reply to wayjac
said by wayjac:

It's very simple.......
Configure the 3801 or second router so that they don't use the
same subnet. If you need to disable the wifi of the 3801 do it

Set the wan/internet port of the second router to use dhcp.

The 3801 has a dmz plus option, apply that option to the second router.

Release and renew the wan/internet port ip address of the second router

Doing this will allow the 3801 to share it's public ip address with the second router

these directions were 100% accurate.

the only thing i would add (assuming someone who hasnt done this before/worked with uverse equipment before) is to make sure you know the mac address of the second router when you are at this step.

"The 3801 has a dmz plus option, apply that option to the second router."

the directions wayjac posted are accurate, but i didnt think to get the mac address of the router i was going to DMZ, it popped up in the 2wire list as unknowndeviceMACADDRESSHERE.

once i re-read that step and selected the unknown device, which i confirmed was my router, i rebooted the second router and it had grabbed a public IP address.

i know that Sebehk posted saying that wayjac's instructions were correct, but i wanted to update the thread now that i am on site and was able to try for myself.

my final test was to disable some ports/rules in the second router firewall and confirm that i could not connect from the outside. once the connection failed, i enabled the rules/ports and the connection from the outside computer/devices started to work, confirming that the 2wire gateway is bypassed and that my linksys router is handling all the traffic/ports.

thanks again.