Click for full size
Right after a fresh reboot
Click for full size
Lost MDD/Partial Service
Click for full size
Continuation of log
Click for full size
Speed Test
For some reason, I think my modem doesn't like me...

We keep having Internet dropouts. If I just leave it alone, eventually the Internet will come back up in a few minutes.

Speed test shows a good upload, but only 75% of rated download. Yes, this is behind a router. I am unable to go directly to the modem. That would require a call to BHN to take the modem out of bridged mode. It is a wired connection, though.

31ms ping time... not bad...

Modem is an Arris TG852. Router is a new WRT-54G running DD-WRT. (Yes, new.. as in New Old Stock)

I don't know if it matters or not, but this morning I woke up to no Digital Cable either. Required the box to be rebooted. IMHO, the end user SHOULD NOT have to reboot their box... at all....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:148

Neon I thought we discussed this...get rid of that WRT54 its not going to give you solid performance wan to lan especially at the new datarates.

The absolute maximum you will see with that router wan to lan is 53mbps **if** you are lucky. I can take it out of bridge mode for you and also check the mdm for you ...you know what to do...

But don't complain about speeds when you have substandard equipment connect to that modem....

Print Linksys Wireless-N Home Router (WRT120N) 92.5
Linksys 10/100 4-Port VPN Router (RV042) 54.0
Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router (WRT54GL [V1.1]) 53.0
Linksys 10/100 8-Port VPN Router (RV082) 20.0
Linksys 4-Port Gigabit Security Router with VPN (RVS4000) 15.9
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

Primary complaint is not the speed. I am waiting for a bit of extra coin and I am looking at that Asus router.

The main issue is the connectivity. I don't know if you still have the thread or not, but my IP hasn't changed... Regardless, I'll start another direct thread.

falcon2081

join:2012-08-16
Port Orange, FL
reply to neonhomer

Neon I had a WRT54g with tomato firmware and I had to ditch it because it could not handle the new speeds. Went with the Asus router.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I'm looking to get a new router... just deciding on what one. I am looking for one with external antennas. I live in block house so I need to relocate the antennas up higher to cover the house.

But I am eyeing the Asus... I forgot the model # though...

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to neonhomer

That would be the RTN66 if you want external att.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

said by BHNtechXpert:

That would be the RTN66 if you want external att.

which one RT-N66R or RT-N66U ?

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I'm curious about this myself....

Why is it that 10:00 at night is the only time my home network is free for me to do any work on it?? LOL

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by neonhomer:

I'm curious about this myself....

Why is it that 10:00 at night is the only time my home network is free for me to do any work on it?? LOL

Do you have kids?
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

How didja guess??? LOL

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

I find it interesting that your receive level has a 10 db swing over 4 channels..

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

said by tim tim tim:

I find it interesting that your receive level has a 10 db swing over 4 channels..

I don't know. The last time BHN was out and replaced the modem, they did a signal check and said everything was fine.

Would other devices in proximity to the modem cause issues? My WAP is next to the modem (though the antennas are about 5' away), and a speaker for my computer is nearby as well.

I also have a Yaesu FT-857D "DC to Daylight" amateur radio sitting close to the modem as well, but it was off during those tests.
--

Keep Calm and Carry On

the65gto

join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL
reply to neonhomer

I did a little "unscientific" experiment with my router (antenna plugs in the back). I removed the factory antenna and changed it to a 10ft cable/antenna assembly mounted high. I noticed no difference between the two. I bought a new router, mounted it near the ceiling, no external antenna and have "excellent" strength through out the house. My "stuff" is in the laundry room. )

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by the65gto:

I did a little "unscientific" experiment with my router (antenna plugs in the back). I removed the factory antenna and changed it to a 10ft cable/antenna assembly mounted high. I noticed no difference between the two. I bought a new router, mounted it near the ceiling, no external antenna and have "excellent" strength through out the house. My "stuff" is in the laundry room. )

Were you sentenced to the laundry room entirely by the wife or just your router...do we need to come rescue you?
--

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I'm using the extended antennas and (what I am assuming) 5/8 wave antennas (5db gain). I lose a little power, but gain it in signal. When I put the stock antennas on the base, I lose signal to the back of the house.

I am looking at getting the Asus RT-N66 (we never did find out if its the "R" or "N" we're after), and will probably at that time redo my network entirely.

Right now, I have a feed that goes to my AP, which does my wireless (G) and two hardwired ports. One hardwired goes to a hub, which splits the signal to two devices... A PC and a xBox 360. The other hardwired goes to my printer, which I don't use right now because I would have to reconfigure it for the new IP range.

My main PC is plugged into one of the modem's other ports.

So.. I wonder if that's why my Linksys w/ DD-WRT has an adjustable CPU speed.... to tweak more bandwidth out of it...
--

Keep Calm and Carry On

the65gto

join:2000-08-31
Apopka, FL
reply to BHNtechXpert

LOL....When the house was built, we had a "communications" cabinet installed in one of the walls. All the home runs are there for lan, phone, Tv feeds etc. IF (when) the wife moves things around, I can go to the patch panel and change the lan/phone jumper to the other side of the wall, change the coax to the active plug. So the main BH cable enters there, the normal tap for modem and the other for tv. Its a metal cabinet, so antennas had to be mounted external or the router external.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by the65gto:

LOL....When the house was built, we had a "communications" cabinet installed in one of the walls. All the home runs are there for lan, phone, Tv feeds etc. IF (when) the wife moves things around, I can go to the patch panel and change the lan/phone jumper to the other side of the wall, change the coax to the active plug. So the main BH cable enters there, the normal tap for modem and the other for tv. Its a metal cabinet, so antennas had to be mounted external or the router external.

Okay just checking....man must have his toys and the laundry room just doesn't cut it....so I'm there for ya I know you have all this money invested already but you might want to consider a high power AP from Engenius Technologies...such as »www.amazon.com/EnGenius-Technolo···genius+n

They kick some serious butt and as long as you can configure it yourself without calling support you will be fine and while helpful...there is a language barrier that can drive some nuts. Otherwise they make some seriously powerful AP's and at a reasonable price. I've used them in a number of installations where nothing else worked.
--