how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Inquisitor

@optonline.net

Boost Plus Domain Registration

Quick question:

If I decide to use the Boost Plus offer to register a new domain name, who is the actual Registrant, and at which Registrar?

Most importantly, if I later cancel Boost Plus, is the domain name then mine to renew or transfer to another Registrar of my choosing? It certainly might be a major problem if Optimum tries to keep the domain name from me.

Thanks.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
You register through hostway, who is partnered with CV. They sell hosting packages too. I believe they allow you to transfer the domain (I know you can transfer to them, so I think the other way works too).

Inquisitor

@optonline.net
said by frdrizzt:

You register through hostway, who is partnered with CV. They sell hosting packages too. I believe they allow you to transfer the domain (I know you can transfer to them, so I think the other way works too).

Thanks. I hope also that someone who actually has moved a domain name away from the CV/Hostway package will confirm this.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
If that domain is important to you, why risk it over $10. Buy that domain yourself and you'll be sure who owns it.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
^ This

Just host your own website from your Boost connection. It will be throttled to 80Kb/sec to the world, but the domain name is yours to do as you wish.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
said by Network Guy:

It will be throttled to 80Kb/sec to the world

Since when do they throttle HTTP?
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
They throttle FTP and FTPS too, though presently I'm only opening FTPS to the world.

Inquisitor

@optonline.net
reply to Inquisitor
While I certainly appreciate all the wonderful suggestions and workarounds, it would be even better if someone who actually knows the answers to my actual questions might actually answer my actual questions.

It is surprising to me that nobody on this forum has ever gone through this particular scenario.

Thanks in any event.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
I don't think anyone here uses the boost plus domain for anything they care about - mostly use it just because they have it, and are not using it for anything serious precisely for the questions you asked.

Yes, the domain is yours and you can renew or transfer to another registrar of your choosing. Hostway and CV do not have any control over the rules of domain ownership and transfers, and are required to abide by ICANN's policies. If your new registrar has any problem with the transfer, THEY (not you) can file a dispute with ICANN.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by jaa:

I don't think anyone here uses the boost plus domain for anything they care about - mostly use it just because they have it, and are not using it for anything serious precisely for the questions you asked.

Just be aware that the hosting account is bare-bones. You get the basic HTML and Email support but nothing more (ie: No PHP, MySQL, etc.). I think they will sell you a full account for extra money.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
This says otherwise - »www.optimum.com/home-internet-se···ures.jsp
quote:
Free Software/Scripts Included:

Your own CGI-BIN
Perl v5.x, C++, gcc, TCL, Python, SSI
PHP4
Counter
FormMail
Interactives -- quiz
Interactives -- poll
Interactives -- guestbook
Interactives -- message board
Siteblog

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
PHP4 and Dual Pentium 4 class processor? Wow, those must be some cutting edge computers...from 1998.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to Inquisitor
i was using it for awhile but moved off it because it proved unreliable.
the user interface is too tacky.
trying to get to a specific area of the interface to make a change is similar to wading through spaghetti searching for a tiny meatball.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

This says otherwise - »www.optimum.com/home-internet-se···ures.jsp

quote:
Free Software/Scripts Included:

Your own CGI-BIN
Perl v5.x, C++, gcc, TCL, Python, SSI
PHP4
Counter
FormMail
Interactives -- quiz
Interactives -- poll
Interactives -- guestbook
Interactives -- message board
Siteblog

OOPS. I'll have to check again or see if there was an additional activation step. My impression of no PHP support was due to having a test.php file containing getting rejected due to the server not knowing how to handle a *.php file.

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to Inquisitor
They recently, and FINALLY, upgraded to PHP/MySQL 5. I bugged them about this for years. Got them to give me a split PHP4/5 years ago, but finally they changed to PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.

Can't remember the registrar.

Do they really throttle to 80KB/s? No one I've linked files to has ever complained and I've received them reasonably fast (600-900KB/s, nothing compared to my 7.6MB/s max though).

Reliability sucks for sure; they also randomly do whatever they want with your server without telling you. I had a server get moved without prior warning and it ended up breaking my entire site and databases. I still have problems that haven't even been resolved.

Good for setting up a basic website and learning about web technology, bad for anything productive.