Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rickardsred

join:2004-08-20
St Catharines, ON
reply to Guspaz

Re: Futureshop/Bestbuy abruptly shut down a dozen stores

The crappy customer service and accessories upsell at these stores is nothing new. I remember back in the late 90's when I was shopping for a printer at the Futureshop in St. Catharines, back when it was on Ontario Street, across from the old K-Mart plaza.

Anyhow, I picked up an HP Deskjet printer that was on sale and the the sales guy says to me "Sir, you'll need a good USB printer cable to go with that?" and proceeds to grab a $60 "Belkin Deluxe-Premium, 24 Karat Gold-Plated, Oxygen-deprived, made from Unobtainum encrusted Saskatchewan Seal-Skin bindings" cable off the shelf.

Since the printer had both USB and Parallel connections, I quickly declined it with a "Heh Heh...uhm...no. I'll just use the parallel cable I already have, thank you". He proceeded to tell me that in order to get the best colour print quality that I needed to use the USB connection. Using a parallel cable would reduce the printing quality because it was only designed for black and white printing.

I laughed in his face, put the printer down and said, "On second thought, perhaps I will shop around a bit more then." And walked out the door.

I still bought a printer that day. I can't recall where....but I think I took my business to a small computer shop in town where they sold me the same printer, matched the Futureshop price, and even threw in a free USB cable. Of course, of the two stores, guess which one is still in business....

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
The only downside of regularly going to a small shop is that they quickly learn how to "poke" your geek factor, making you buy even more stuff! But at least it's the kind of stuff you can actually use -- most of the time.

"A water cooled system?"

"You don't really need it. Cooling fans will work just as well. But watch what happens when I add some fluorescent dye to the water and turn on the black light."

"Ooooooooo!!!"

--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live