Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4

Re: [WIN7] 64 bit Windows 7 vs. an old DOS app

Yup DOSBox. But why doesn't your PC have install disc/s. With most manufactured PC there is a Utility to Create a set of System Discs and with some, like Dell computers, you can create the Real OS install DVD or ISO to burn to DVD or USB thumb drive.
said by Grumpy4:

I could use some advice on getting an old DOS app to run on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

I tried FreeDos, but it seems to require the Windows 7 install disks. The box in question has no Windows 7 install disks.

Thanks

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

3 edits

Grumpy4

Premium Member

The client I'm working with apparently never utilized the create system disks option. The machine in question is a late model HP with the appropriate Win 7 MS decals, so I would assume it's a legit OEM licensed unit, just some laziness or lack of understanding during start up I suppose. The machine has been in use for a matter of months so I'm not clear if a proper system disk script could run at this point. Perhaps it could. Not sure, and both of us are extremely limited for time and I go on the road in a new job in a matter of days. It's an "accomplish x hours of _______ in x minutes" scenario at this point.

I'll see how DOSBOX behaves. If that fails, I may have to take a run at making system disks. I'm test running this project on my own Win 7 machine to save time at the client's home.

Thank you.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

If the create system disc utility was never run then it should still function and be able to create them.