All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to koolin

to koolin

Re: How to transfer with no down time (TSI to Start)?

said by koolin:

I assume the rental of a Start modem so I can have TSI and Start at the same time, is also going to incur the $50 setup fee as well?

No, so long as it is just for a couple of days of overlap.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by mlord:

said by koolin:

I assume the rental of a Start modem so I can have TSI and Start at the same time, is also going to incur the $50 setup fee as well?

No, so long as it is just for a couple of days of overlap.

For TPIA to TPIA there is no overlap option, even for a couple days. Rogers/Cogeco to us no problem.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by rocca:

For TPIA to TPIA there is no overlap option, even for a couple days. Rogers/Cogeco to us no problem.

[OK, while this also does not affect me....)

Just to be clear, are you saying ? :

Rogers > START = Overlap IS possible if have 2nd modem (Incumbent to TPIA)
Cogeco > START = Overlap IS possible if have 2nd modem (Incumbent to TPIA)
TSI > START = Overlap NOT possible (TPIA to TPIA) regardless of how many modems we have
Acanac > START = Overlap NOT possible (TPIA to TPIA) regardless of how many modems we have

Would the same above rules hold true if someone (God forbid) was LEAVING Start ?

And in all cases, a transfer IS possible if using the same wire as before, to avoid the $50 install fee ? (EVEN if an overlap is arranged wherever possible as above)
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

1 edit

mlord to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

For TPIA to TPIA there is no overlap option, even for a couple days.

Oh. Thanks for the correction. Could've sworn I saw an earlier post from you(?) or your staff(?) saying this might be possible. Oh well.

Edit: Okay, not your staff, but this post from another member: »Re: Teksavvy to Start and then confirmed by you (Rocca) a couple of posts further down.

My own experience, with two modems, and with start/cancel dates the same, is that I got a full day of overlapped service.

Cheers

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Just to be clear, are you saying :

Rogers > START = Overlap IS possible if have 2nd modem (Incumbent to TPIA)
Cogeco > START = Overlap IS possible if have 2nd modem (Incumbent to TPIA)
TSI > START = Overlap NOT possible (TPIA to TPIA)
Acanac > START = Overlap NOT possible (TPIA to TPIA)

Would the same rules hold true if someone (God forbid) was LEAVING Start ?

And in all cases, a transfer IS possible, to avoid the install fee ? (EVEN if an overlap is arranged wherever possible as above)

Almost, assuming we're just talking about transfers here:

Rogers/Cogeco > Start = Overlap is possible with same/different modem.

TPIA > Start = Overlap may be possible, only with different modem. And I say 'may' because it all depends on how the 'losing TPIA' co-operates with sending in the disconnect to the cable company.

The most difficult transfer is TPIA to TPIA with the same modem with an ISP that won't "push" the disconnect request in advance to the cable co (ie have a disconnect for end of month but customer wants to transfer mid-month but ISP won't send the disconnection until the end). Some ISP's have done this on request, some are less easy to work with. If they do push the disconnect then sometimes we can avoid an outage with a couple day overlap, however if they won't push the disconnect then it's generally 1 full day after when the ISP finally sends the disconnect, which seems to be the day after service is cancelled.

Would be same Start > TPIA, but we'd push the disconnect on request no problem.

All this will be moot as soon as the 'disconnect on customer behalf' legislation is actually implemented where the gaining ISP can act on the customers behalf, both for Incumbent > TPIA and TPIA > TPIA. No ETA on this yet though sadly.

For people uber-concerned about smoothness until the above is implemented, the easiest type of transition is a new install with a new modem and you can overlap as little/much as you want -- however it's also the most expensive of course.
rocca

rocca to mlord

Premium Member

to mlord
Sorry yes, my mistake - can do an overlap but not with the same modem.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

well i paid my teksavvy bill on Jan 24th so when do you think would be best to cancel and start your service? with little downtime as possible. downtime is not a huge concern and i dont plan to use a second modem because i can just connect to my friends router who lives right beside me but his internet isn't very good but it'll last until start works. any advice will be helpful. thanks.