spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Nicholas4274
@sbcglobal.net

Nicholas4274

Anon

Wondering if I would be able to switch to a higher profile

I just had U-verse TV, Internet, and Voice service installed on Friday. When I ordered the service, the highest Internet speed offered was Max Plus, not Max Turbo. I chose the Max Plus and now I see that I have the 25/2 profile. Here are my gateway's statistics.

DSL Line COAX
User Rate 25212 kbs 2046 kbs
Max User Rate 45331 kbs 10183 kbs
Noise Margin 14.7 dB 24.8 dB
Attenuation 18.9 dB 18.0 dB
Output Power 14.4 dBm 5.9 dBm

I don't know very much about how U-verse works, but do you think I could be switched to the 32/5 profile instead of the 25/2 profile so that I could get faster Internet speeds? How would I go about doing this?
nrobot80
join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

nrobot80

You should be on the 32 meg profile I have no idea why they have you on the 25 but I would call and inquire. Do you have the video service?

Nicholas4274
@sbcglobal.net

Nicholas4274

Anon

said by nrobot80:

You should be on the 32 meg profile I have no idea why they have you on the 25 but I would call and inquire. Do you have the video service?

Yep, I have video service; it's 3 HD / 1 SD. When I call, should I also ask if I could be bumped up to the 4 HD one?
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to Nicholas4274

to Nicholas4274
Everything looks good, except for maybe your upstream output power. 5.9 dBm would be more than twice what I'd expect given the other stats. My stats are fairly similar to yours, but my output power is only 2.7 dBm for a user rate of 5040 upstream, and for my distance from the VRAD and line stats, that's still a little bit high. If I remember correctly 3 dBm is roughly doubling the power, so you're using more than twice as much power as I am to push ~40% of the bits. That doesn't seem right, particularly given your attenuation and noise margin.
Paralel

Paralel to Nicholas4274

to Nicholas4274
From what I found in 3rd party documentation, your upstream power level is probably the reason for your lower profile. You would be considered out of spec if your upstream power was greater than 6 dBm, and you are just about at that limit now. As such, you probably couldn't be put on a higher profile since your upstream power would be outside of the acceptable operating range.

Nicholas4274
@sbcglobal.net

Nicholas4274

Anon

said by Paralel:

From what I found in 3rd party documentation, your upstream power level is probably the reason for your lower profile. You would be considered out of spec if your upstream power was greater than 6 dBm, and you are just about at that limit now. As such, you probably couldn't be put on a higher profile since your upstream power would be outside of the acceptable operating range.

Is there any way to improve the upstream power? I'd really like to get the higher upload speed with Max Turbo if it's possible. I might post in the Direct forum to see what they say.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

It's weird, given your noise margin and attenuation, there is no reason your output power should be that high.

Power only goes up because something is interfering with the propagation of the upstream signal back to the VRAD. Something could easily be going on with your line that doesn't show up in simple stats like noise margin and attenuation. The modem/gateway could also be going bad, having to amp up the signal to get a signal through a partial hardware failure. Either way, I'd def. look into it further since something must be going on because those numbers just don't make sense at face value.
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2

He is also on coax which means there is a coax balun and diplexer, which in my opinion cause nothing but degredation, thats why I always used cat 5 and many times I did not use the vdsl splitter unless they had pots. Most connections run great like this, it's not SOP, the techs are told in training they have to use these things, but coax is used due to lack of knowledge or laziness because its already there.

I always saw the existing coax as the best pull string invented and always removed the coax to the rg and at a minimum and would put the dvr on cat5 as well which made a dramatic decrease in the latency that the coax produced. Like I told all customers on repairs that had coax, I am giving you an upgrade and would switch them to cat5 to the rg and dvr at a minimum which cleared most customer facing issues, as well as swap all 3800 and 12xx dvr to the 2250. I prefer the cisco gear but its not very widespread.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by UverseTech2:

I always saw the existing coax as the best pull string invented and always removed the coax to the rg and at a minimum and would put the dvr on cat5 as well which made a dramatic decrease in the latency that the coax produced. Like I told all customers on repairs that had coax, I am giving you an upgrade and would switch them to cat5 to the rg and dvr at a minimum which cleared most customer facing issues, as well as swap all 3800 and 12xx dvr to the 2250. I prefer the cisco gear but its not very widespread.

Join AT&T again for one day and come to our house . You'd love the lazy work our installer did .
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2

What a tempting proposition, but I think Ill stick to installing networking gear at business customers now, it's all on cat5 and the cisco gear just works. You wold do yourself a favor by putting your rg and dvr on ethernet, that's how this service started out. even in training back in 2007, then the efficiency metrics took over and this is what's accepted today, and this is what they teach in training today as well.