spc
uniqs

slowdrain
@suddenlink.net

slowdrain to tschmidt

Anon

to tschmidt

Re: Possible AAV failure?

Does it just unscrew? I tried but it doesn't seem to budge.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

they usually unscrew, I have seen a few glue types but its pretty rare.. you should be able to see threads if its a screw in type..

might have to get a set of channel locks in there..

be careful when testing it, if the drain is blocked, and the tap for the aav isnt high enough, it will run out onto the floor..

-j

slowdrain
@suddenlink.net

slowdrain

Anon

Well I borrowed a pair of channel locks from a neighbor and got it off, that didn't help but looking down the pipe the AAV was screwed into I saw a huge glob of stuff where the sink drains enters. I took it all apart and found the pipe from the p-trap to the drain stack half full of nasty gunk. I have no idea how that stuff wasn't in the p-trap but it was clean so I figured the rest of the pipe was too. Anyway after a good cleaning its all working. How can I keep that stuff from clogging the pipes up?

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084

Premium Member

said by slowdrain :

How can I keep that stuff from clogging the pipes up?

You do whatever you can from keeping the stuff from going down the drain in the first place.

Some clogs you can avoid/prevent, others you can't do much to avoid.

slowdrain
@myvzw.com

slowdrain

Anon

Well it wasn't hair or anything else I could really prevent. It was a thick gelatin like substance. Anyway thanks for the help! I guess all it needs is a little routine maintenance.