spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sword7

join:2005-11-11
Montgomery Village, MD

[Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV and some channel problems.

Hello folks,

I got new Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB package last year and set it up today. I contacted Comcast and they successfully paired CableCARD M-card and can see my Ceton device. Then I set Windows Media Center up but have problems with some channels.

When I tuned into channel 236 (Science Fiction HD channel), I got blank screen for a few seconds then Subscription required displayed. I was able watch SD version (channel 75). With Cable TV box, I was able watch same channel. I checked channel status and got info:

Signal Level: 3.2 dBmv
S/N ratio: 37.6 dB

Then I tuned back to channel 75 and got info:

Signal Level: 6.8 dBmv
S/N ratio: 38.3 dB

However, I noticed that CCI flag was 0x02 (Copy once). However I remember that Comcast's policy are all channels as copy-free except premium channels (HBO, MAX, etc.). Most channels are useless to other apps than Windows Media Center.

Does anyone have any solutions?

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
What TV package do you pay for?

Sword7

Montgomery Village, MD
I have old VIP Plus package.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
do you have a HD fee? on your bill?

You may need the HD fee to get HD channels other then the locals

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to Sword7
said by Sword7:

However, I noticed that CCI flag was 0x02 (Copy once). However I remember that Comcast's policy are all channels as copy-free except premium channels (HBO, MAX, etc.). Most channels are useless to other apps than Windows Media Center.

Yep if it's CCI-protected your local is screwing up the flags, you might have to contact corporate about that.

You could have two issues that I can think of - either your card is not properly paired (if it's a Moto card, the Data ID has to match what's in Comcast's system for protected content), or you have installed something on your PC that changed the codecs used by WMC (shark pack, later versions of uTorrent etc.). Codec issues can cause the sub required message to pop up for protected content.

To check pairing call the Cablecard support line at 877-405-2298.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
reply to Sword7
Definitely odd about the CCI flag being set to Copy Once, but CCI 0x02 should still allow a DVR recording, no?

beachintech
Premium
reply to Sword7
said by Sword7:

I have old VIP Plus package.

I would bet you are not paying the HD access fee, which is causing at least one of your problems.

Sword7

Montgomery Village, MD
Ok, thanks for some replies. I have HD DVR package and was able see channel 236 but not on my Ceton. I will contact Comcast to change TV package to make sure includes HD technology subscription.

Also, I need to contact corporate to fix CCI flag settings because they are messed up. How do I contact corporate?

Thanks.

beachintech
Premium
Make sure your cable card has those same codes on it as your DVR.

Sword7

Montgomery Village, MD
reply to SpHeRe31459
I am using Windows Media Center to able watch channels with any CCI flag settings. With MythTV and other TV apps, channels are only watchable when CCI flag is 0x00 (Copy freely).

Sword7

Montgomery Village, MD
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I checked Ceton for some channels and found out that all channels except local channels are set as CCI 0x02 (copy once). I will need to look into my HD DVR box to check CCI flag settings. How do I check them on HD DVR box? If I find same codes on HD DVR, I will have to contact corporate about that. Thanks again.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to Sword7
said by Sword7:

I am using Windows Media Center to able watch channels with any CCI flag settings.

Right... which is why Copy Once isn't a problem for you...

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
reply to Sword7
said by Sword7:

said by beachintech:

I checked Ceton for some channels and found out that all channels except local channels are set as CCI 0x02 (copy once). I will need to look into my HD DVR box to check CCI flag settings. How do I check them on HD DVR box? If I find same codes on HD DVR, I will have to contact corporate about that. Thanks again.

If you have Motorola hardware:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···_Enabled

Sword7

Montgomery Village, MD
said by SpHeRe31459:

said by Sword7:

said by beachintech:

If you have Motorola hardware:
»en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use···_Enabled

Ok, I checked DCH3416 DVR manual for channel status. I got info from channel 75 and channel 236 by press SELECT and select 'd06 channel status'. Both CCI flags were set to 0x00 (copy free).

I think that a problem issue is CableCARD card. I have same problem when I tried HDHomeRun Prime. I took it off old device and put it on my new Ceton. I got the same problem on both devices.

Thanks again.

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Sword7
I don't know what weird package you have, but with current packages, the "HD technology fee" is a box fee that is applied once per account, hence if you don't have any HD boxes from Comcast, you won't pay it AND you will get the HD channels on your MCE box or TiVo.

GTFan

Except that multiple folks over at TCF have reported that if they don't have the bogus HD tech fee on their account, they don't get HD channels on their Tivos.

Fortunately I am not in one of those areas, and I agree that if you don't have one of their boxes you shouldn't have the fee. But it does seem to be required for the unlucky areas.

BiggA

EARTH
That's a problem then, and they should call customer service, as that's not how it's supposed to work. I don't pay it, and I get tons of HD on my MCE machine.

beachintech
Premium
I wouldn't rock the bot there BiggA, you should be paying an "HD Access Fee" to have HD anything on your account

BiggA

EARTH
No. The "HD Technology Fee" is a box fee, applied once per account. For example, the DVR is $7.95 as the first box, on top of an HD technology fee. The next box would have a $10/mo outlet fee, if it's a DVR, another $7.95, etc. The people at the Comcast have explained to me how it works, and I don't pay the "HD Technology Fee" because I don't have any of their HD technology. I have my own.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
In my area the HD applies to get HD enabled on your account, and has nothing to do with the boxes or equipment you have. No HD fee, not HD. Even an account with only TIVOs require the fee to get HD.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

BiggA

EARTH
We have the "HD Technology Fee". You must have something different ("HD Access Fee")?

GTFan

Whatever they call it, it's a BS fee because HD channels are supposed to be included with a digital package.

beachintech
Premium
If you pay for the HD ones, they are

BiggA

EARTH
reply to GTFan
They included in my plan for free. Like I said, I only have to pay if I rent their HD equipment. Since I own my HD equipment, I don't pay extra.

GTFan

reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

If you pay for the HD ones, they are

And I don't pay extra, and they are included (I also don't have any of their HD boxes). What you say is not true in all Comcast areas.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 edits
reply to Sword7

[Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV 6 Released

FYI - Ceton just released their new "InfiniTV 6" models of CableCARD devices for Media Center PCs:

Ceton Introduces World’s Most Advanced Digital Cable Tuners for the PC
New Ceton InfiniTV 6 Models support six simultaneous channels with a single CableCARD and are available in Ethernet-attached network tuner and PCI Express Form Factors

PR Web - May 13, 2013
»www.prweb.com/releases/CetonInfi···=4003003

Also see: »cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

and:

Ceton Boosts CableCARDs
By Mari Silbey, Light Reading Cable - May 14, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/content-pro···40154837

EDIT: Also videos on YouTube:

"Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH Hardware Set-Up Walk-Through": »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···UV0EMg1o

"Ceton InfiniTV Software & Windows Media Center Setup Walk-Through": »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···wijtYEjA

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
Yep saw that news yesterday but didn't post it here. After all I can't deprive you of your livelihood telcodad

I gotta say if the future of Media Center weren't so uncertain, and if you had or didn't mind building a nice quiet media center PC this new Ceton trumps just about any standalone DVR you can get.

BiggA

EARTH
The problem is, while the hardware is amazing, there's no good software to go with it. MCE is a buggy mess with a poor UI/UX.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
Sacramento, CA
said by BiggA:

The problem is, while the hardware is amazing, there's no good software to go with it. MCE is a buggy mess with a poor UI/UX.

Say what? I dunno what you've been using, but I quite successfully used a media center PC in years past in MCE 2005 (XP), Vista and Win 7 flavors.

Media Center's actually a pretty decent UI. It's what U-verse's Mediaroom UI is derived from too.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to BiggA

Re: [Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV and some channel problems.

said by BiggA:

No. The "HD Technology Fee" is a box fee, applied once per account. For example, the DVR is $7.95 as the first box, on top of an HD technology fee. The next box would have a $10/mo outlet fee, if it's a DVR, another $7.95, etc. The people at the Comcast have explained to me how it works, and I don't pay the "HD Technology Fee" because I don't have any of their HD technology. I have my own.

But all those other boxes would need the HD code on the outlet to make it work. You are correct that the DVR includes the HD fee. You are also correct that the next box would have a $10/ mo outlet fee.
If that box is an HD box and it does not have the HD code on it then no HD for you even though you have it on the DVR. The fee does cover the entire account, but the outlet needs to know its authorized for HD.

Beach is saying the same thing. Even though the OP has a DVR and is paying the HD fee, the outlet that the cable card is on still needs the rate code to authorize the channels.