how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to halfband

Re: [Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV and some channel problems.

We have the "HD Technology Fee". You must have something different ("HD Access Fee")?

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
Whatever they call it, it's a BS fee because HD channels are supposed to be included with a digital package.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
If you pay for the HD ones, they are

BiggA

EARTH
reply to GTFan
They included in my plan for free. Like I said, I only have to pay if I rent their HD equipment. Since I own my HD equipment, I don't pay extra.

GTFan

reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

If you pay for the HD ones, they are

And I don't pay extra, and they are included (I also don't have any of their HD boxes). What you say is not true in all Comcast areas.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

2 edits
reply to Sword7

[Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV 6 Released

FYI - Ceton just released their new "InfiniTV 6" models of CableCARD devices for Media Center PCs:

Ceton Introduces World’s Most Advanced Digital Cable Tuners for the PC
New Ceton InfiniTV 6 Models support six simultaneous channels with a single CableCARD and are available in Ethernet-attached network tuner and PCI Express Form Factors

PR Web - May 13, 2013
»www.prweb.com/releases/CetonInfi···=4003003

Also see: »cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv/

and:

Ceton Boosts CableCARDs
By Mari Silbey, Light Reading Cable - May 14, 2013
»www.lightreading.com/content-pro···40154837

EDIT: Also videos on YouTube:

"Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH Hardware Set-Up Walk-Through": »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···UV0EMg1o

"Ceton InfiniTV Software & Windows Media Center Setup Walk-Through": »www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···wijtYEjA

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
Yep saw that news yesterday but didn't post it here. After all I can't deprive you of your livelihood telcodad

I gotta say if the future of Media Center weren't so uncertain, and if you had or didn't mind building a nice quiet media center PC this new Ceton trumps just about any standalone DVR you can get.

BiggA

EARTH
The problem is, while the hardware is amazing, there's no good software to go with it. MCE is a buggy mess with a poor UI/UX.

SpHeRe31459
Premium
join:2002-10-09
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2
said by BiggA:

The problem is, while the hardware is amazing, there's no good software to go with it. MCE is a buggy mess with a poor UI/UX.

Say what? I dunno what you've been using, but I quite successfully used a media center PC in years past in MCE 2005 (XP), Vista and Win 7 flavors.

Media Center's actually a pretty decent UI. It's what U-verse's Mediaroom UI is derived from too.

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to BiggA

Re: [Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV and some channel problems.

said by BiggA:

No. The "HD Technology Fee" is a box fee, applied once per account. For example, the DVR is $7.95 as the first box, on top of an HD technology fee. The next box would have a $10/mo outlet fee, if it's a DVR, another $7.95, etc. The people at the Comcast have explained to me how it works, and I don't pay the "HD Technology Fee" because I don't have any of their HD technology. I have my own.

But all those other boxes would need the HD code on the outlet to make it work. You are correct that the DVR includes the HD fee. You are also correct that the next box would have a $10/ mo outlet fee.
If that box is an HD box and it does not have the HD code on it then no HD for you even though you have it on the DVR. The fee does cover the entire account, but the outlet needs to know its authorized for HD.

Beach is saying the same thing. Even though the OP has a DVR and is paying the HD fee, the outlet that the cable card is on still needs the rate code to authorize the channels.

BiggA

EARTH
Yeah, it's around $7-$8 for a CableCard. If you have a DVR and a CableCard, have them code the CableCard as the primary on the account, it will come at no charge, and then put the DVR on as a secondary for $17.95, that way you won't get charged a fee for the CableCard.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to SpHeRe31459

Re: [Cable Card] Ceton InfiniTV 6 Released

It has a lot of problems. Not only is it buggy, but the UI/UX is poor.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad
FYI - PCWorld's review of Ceton's InfiiniTV 6 (the Ethernet-attached version):

Ceton InfiniTV 6 review: A six-tuner dynamo for Microsoft’s dying media center
By Rick Broida, PCWorld - June 28, 2013
»www.pcworld.com/article/2043158/···ter.html

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Ethernet attached... Cool. Now why couldn't the Xbox one be designed to see and utilize it. Much better unified experience than IR blasting IMO.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
IR blasting works with tivo, satellite, iptv, non cable card systems, DRV's, VOD / PPV movies and events.

cable cards can have copy protect flags issues and limits muilt room.

Windows 8 does not support non-Microsoft extenders, including the Ceton Echo.

GTFan

reply to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

Ethernet attached... Cool. Now why couldn't the Xbox one be designed to see and utilize it. Much better unified experience than IR blasting IMO.

Because MS and all the other mainstream CE manufacturers want nothing to do with Cablecard after all the cable industry sabotage that has gone on before. Samsung is a noticeable exception I guess since they are releasing a card-based STB, but the last FCC orders to fix the issues were too little too late.

The Xbox One HDMI passthrough with overlays for live TV only is pretty much worthless (just like GoogleTV) anyway. It doesn't have any DVR capability, so who's really going to care how it gets the feed?

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3
Well if Xbox had direct access via the network, they could DVR to the Xbox hard drive, USB connected external hard drive, or maybe even a NAS unit or PC with an open share.

It would be more reliable than IR blasting. There wouldn't be that jarring disconnected experience seeing one UI on top of another UI. They may want nothing to do with Cablecard, so then direct Cablecard support to Ceton, SiliconDust or whatever company created the actual networkable cable card tuner.

For other providers well DirecTV has IP control which would be more reliable than IR blasting. Then as a fail back offer IR blasting for the remaining providers.

GTFan

The only way to get the channels on the Xbox from the network is via Cablecard decryption by third party tuners. End of story, nothing more to discuss here, they won't do it. That's why they're doing this HDMI STB kludge instead.

What you want should have been provided by AllVid a couple of years ago (including sat and U-Verse), but the FCC dropped the ball again.

BiggA

EARTH
Agreed. That might actually have worked. Throw MoCA in the mix, and it would have been awesome. Media Center is pretty much dead, as M$ wants nothing to do with it, even though the best hardware yet far is still coming out, like the Ceton 6-tuner. They never really finished the software, and unfortunately, it's just going to die.