uniqs
share rss forum feed

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2
reply to resa1983

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy Cable vs Rogers/Start

These ISPs dole out the internet like it's Crack Cocaine. What's the difference between 25/2, 35/3 and 45/4 to a provider? Nothing, that's what.

If the thieves had any class at all they'd give you the best they currently had at a decent price:

Lite=45/4
Standard= 150/10

Rogers has set a fine example with their street corner drug pusher mentality. Get 'em hooked then bleed 'em dry.

Annex

join:2007-11-21
Kitchener, ON
reply to Optional

said by Optional:

said by squircle:

This is me correcting you because you're wrong: upload speeds are going up too. It's all outlined in this thread (page 10-ish if I remember correctly): »CNOC speed matching decision due next week

I'm counting the minutes..you have no idea..

For my work we all use google docs.. when I'm uploading stuff my internet is just GARBAGE. It's a lost cause trying to convince my work to use dropbox because of the sheer undertaking of transferring it all, and I'm just a regular employee , but at least dropbox has an upload limiter.

Google Drive just pumps it out as fast as your upload can go, and when I'm uploading 20gb+ raw unedited video files, which I have to do some of the time it takes forEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVER.

Setup QoS on a good router. I did that to prevent outgoing email (family likes to send lots of picture attachments) from choking my internet. Essentially my main computer gets High priority and everyone else gets Low so my traffic is always prioritized. That said, 1Mbit outbound is a joke by todays standards and im dying to get 4 or 7 outbound.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

At this point, I'd be ecstatic with 3.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

CRTC is also forcing Rogers to provide 45/7 to TPIA in upgraded areas, instead of the mere 45/4 they were trying to get away with doing.

Will that only be One new tier, at 45/7? Or might 7M Upload become an option available to other DL speeds too?

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by jasmo34:

said by resa1983:

CRTC is also forcing Rogers to provide 45/7 to TPIA in upgraded areas, instead of the mere 45/4 they were trying to get away with doing.

Will that only be One new tier, at 45/7? Or might 7M Upload become an option available to other DL speeds too?

Depends on how Rogers tariffs it.

They could tariff 45/7, or they could tariff the 7mbps upload as an addon to a package for x amount. *shrug*
--
Expand your moderator at work

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
reply to resa1983

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy Cable vs Rogers/Start

said by resa1983:

They could tariff 45/7, or they could tariff the 7mbps upload as an addon to a package for x amount. *shrug*

If they make it a stand-alone option, let's hope it ends up more practical than Bell's 7M and 10M FTTN Upload options!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

I'm wondering though what the actual sustained up and down speed/rate will be on the new packages that are comming up.

Its one thing for a speedtest and another for a sustained down/up load with bigger files.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

said by TwiztedZero:

I'm wondering though what the actual sustained up and down speed/rate will be on the new packages that are comming up.

Consumer connections never have any kind of guarantee of the sustained throughput.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

If you look elsewheres here on the forum's you'll see that TekSavvy is on the [ ♫ ♬ Long and Winding Road ♫ ♬ ] to going Aggregated....

FTFY

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

said by jasmo34:

said by resa1983:

Aren't they supposed to mirror their retail offerings? If so, the 7 upload would only be available on the 45 tier at no additional charge if you live in an eligible area.

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

said by yyzlhr:

Aren't they supposed to mirror their retail offerings? If so, the 7 upload would only be available on the 45 tier at no additional charge if you live in an eligible area.

I guess the 7 would only be available on the 45 tier. However CRTC also said that wholesale is based on costs, and not what the incumbent does (which is a total about-face from prior re-speeding decisions).
It almost looks now like if Rogers re-speeds, they don't have to provide it to TPIA unless they do a tariff.

It really looks like they decided beforehand what was going to happen, then warped prior decisions to attempt to justify the new one.
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

2 edits

Well, you inspired me to finally read the decision

said by resa1983:

However CRTC also said that wholesale is based on costs, and not what the incumbent does (which is a total about-face from prior re-speeding decisions).

I'm not familiar with previous re-speeding decisions, but..
Where a cost study has not been provided, rates for WHSA services at an existing lower speed would provide an appropriate interim rate for the new service speed.
The CRTC's official goal has always been cost plus, hasn't it? So to say existing lower until you provide a cost study sounds pretty consistent/reasonable. Assuming the cost study has any basis in reality, of course

said by resa1983:

It almost looks now like if Rogers re-speeds, they don't have to provide it to TPIA unless they do a tariff.

I just don't see that at all. Speed matching requirements are all over that decision.

(Edit: or are you just talking about TPIA, vs. Aggregated TPIA, 'cause even if we think that decision is wrong, it is a moot point now)
--
electronicsguru.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

ATPIA only. Current system will remain as is, until after all are moved to ATPIA.

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Annex

said by Dones:

Not forever, around two days if you don't touch your internet. If Teksavvy can offer 45/7 then I'll be happy.

2 days.

It takes me two days to upload something to work. It should take an evening. Ideally, an hour. But hey, who is gunna pay rogers everything short of their firstborn for 250/250?

Canada's consumer level communication is borderline third world status.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

At this point, I'd be ecstatic with 3.

Even 2 at this point would be wonderful.. SHAW has offered 2 for years..

nettles

@teksavvy.com

Assuming that TSI's speed goes up....what can we expect for $40/month (the current cable 18/512 kbps package with a 300 GB cap)?

Higher speeds and a lower cap?

MrMazda86

join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

What would be ideal is higher speeds and NO cap, given that the cost of maintaining the network has nothing to do with actual data transferred, rather the capacity at which it can be transferred.