share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to plencnerb

Re: [IPv6] Lost my IPv6 IP again....

Wanted to update this with some testing that I did today.

First, I wanted to verify that IPv6 is still working when I connect my desktop directly to the modem. So, to do that, I did the following.

Powered off pfsense box
powered off desktop
powered off modem (unpluged and pulled battery)

I then waited 1 minute, just to make sure the modem would be off long enough for a full restart.

With everything still off, I plugged my desktop into the back of the modem. I then put the battery back in to the modem, and plugged the modem back in.

Once the modem was fully up (verified by the lights), I then powered up my desktop.

Desktop got both a IPv4 and IPv6 directly from Comcast. I did not make a note of what they were, but I did verify that I had them.
Both IPv6 test sites that I noted in the my first post returned a status of 10/10. Comcast's speed test site using IPv6 also loaded without issue, and displayed my IPv6 IP.

So, I felt confident that IPv6 is still working in my area. I figured it would be, but I wanted to verify it. No point in trying to figure out why PFSense is not getting an IPv6 IP if I cannot get one directly from the modem!

I then powered everything off again the same as I did before, including pulling the battery from the modem, and waiting another minute.

During that time, I plugged my desktop back into my PFSense box, and the PFSense box back into my modem. Once everything was connected (but still off), I put the battery back into my modem, and powered it back up.

Again, once the modem was fully up (verified by the indicator lights), I powered up my PFSense box. Once that was up (verified by the little song it plays), I powered up my desktop.

It looks like for whatever reason, PFSense is not able to get an IPv6 IP from Comcast anymore, as the interface status page does not even list IPv6 at all. IPv6 test sites return 0/10, and the Comcast IPv6 speedtest site also does not load again.

Yes, I understand that the version of PFSense that I'm running is beta, and prone to odd things happening. So, I think what I will do is download a new build of the beta, re-load it, and go from there.

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and posted things to try in this thread. If anyone has any thing else to add, feel free to do so.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

You should have made note of the IPv6 address your computer obtained. It's possible it was one obtained by 6to4 rather an a native address.

If you suspect that native IPv6 really is available and the problem is with pfsense, then maybe you can try a copy of m0n0wall instead and see if that works - it does for me.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Yeah, looking back I probably should have done that.

I can easily pull the PFSense box out of the mix, so I may do that again later today, and report what the actual IPv6 IP is that my desktop gets.

I know the one that PFSense was getting from Comcast back on 01/06/2013 was

2001:558:6033:ad:176:75ee:c24b:3d49

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

2001:558:6033: is a Comcast native IPv6 address.

I believe the 6to4 addresses began with 2002: