spc
Search similar:

uniqs
format
join:2001-01-02
Tulsa, OK

format

[OK] Problems after speed upgrade yesterday

So yesterday I upgraded my speed to Premier and then a hour later went ahead and upgraded to Ultimate. Everything was fine with the upgrade to premier but when I upgraded to Ultimate it pretty much stopped working. After wasting a hour troubleshooting last night with one rep and setting up a tech to come fix it I called back and told another rep who told me instantly the problem was because I had a DOCSIS 2.0 phone/modem and the modem was all that was wrong.

Today a 3rd party company shows up and replaces the modem with a Cisco phone/modem. The download speed seems about right after but the upload speed is only about 0.5 to 1 MB. Have tested by connecting modem directly to pc bypassing router. Same on multiple computers.Tech said the signal was fine.Tech ran a temp line from modem inside out the front door to side of house and same results. Tech checked line at pedestal next door and said it seemed fine.

Called back today frustrated that this is taking so long to fix and was advised they can see packet loss on their end and that a line tech will have to check it when they have time. Says it could be messed up for 96 hours or more. I am totally regretting upgrading my speed. It had literally worked fine for years before the speed change.
So if anyone from Cox can speed up this fix that would be awesome.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

What kind of Cisco phone/modem?
format
Tulsa, OK

format

DPQ3212
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to format

Premium Member

to format
surprised they upgraded to ultimate over the phone it's supposed to be a pro install.
format
Tulsa, OK

format

It has been a nightmare
Expand your moderator at work

KahunaNui
join:2000-05-01
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui to format

to format

Re: [OK] Problems after speed upgrade yesterday

said by format:

The download speed seems about right after but the upload speed is only about 0.5 to 1 MB.
So if anyone from Cox can speed up this fix that would be awesome.

Howdy! I'd like to add that recently our [upload] speed has dropped in a similar manner so I do not believe it is isolated (unless isolated to our area).
Upload has drastically decreased in speed while download for the most part appears to be ok.

Wondering why everything was so slow today and this gives us a clue.
Before we start the troubleshooting process, can anyone else verify this and\or let us know what gives here?

Thanks for any input
format
Tulsa, OK

format

Something has magically changed. Superbowl ended and I have ran multiple speed tests and now my speeds are exactly how they should be. Very odd. I suspect someone at Cox changed something.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3404.png

KahunaNui
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui

said by format:

Something has magically changed.

I totally agree... but here it's getting MUCH WORSE.

Note that this test initially the first few times didn't even finish!
It just timed out with the Upload "CONNECTING" indicator blinking.

But finally, after a number of tries we got this:
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2164.png

Browsing anywhere is becoming an increasingly frustrating chore.
KahunaNui

KahunaNui to format

to format
How about this one:
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 4475.png

wow! This is the worst speedtest result I've had since dial up days!
format
Tulsa, OK

format

Went ahead and checked again and it still looks great. I am glad that is over.

bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to KahunaNui

to KahunaNui
Last time that happened I had severe packet loss on the upstream side. You may want to test for that.

KahunaNui
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui

It's All Over the Place!

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 2538.png

It's all over the place... they are sending out a tech 'cause they claimed it's definitely on their end.
I agree, with the exception of the wiring.

The wiring here is predominantly RG59 from many years ago. They ended up reconfiguring the old splitters which were really messed up.
Then splicing RG6 to it.

I've wondered if it all has to be rewired in order to get the tv service because there is RG6 running to one location from prior tenant's satellite dish install. Dish guys told me they must have the better RG6 for their service which they will install. Probably the same for cable tv?
Maybe we should get satellite, have them replace the rg59 for rg6 and cancel after the required period of time. Ancient wiring problem solved!

It could be the new [replaced] splitter is failing? But I've never seen one fail with these symptoms before.

If it stays this good should we cancel the [tech] appointment?
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to format

to format

Re: [OK] Problems after speed upgrade yesterday

My personal opinion only - if you have any RG59 left, rip it out and replace. New wiring can solve so many hidden problems. Use a 3GHZ RG6 cable so you are prepared for cable or sat in the future. Do it all to a central location to make it easier.
format
Tulsa, OK

format

So the issue is back just like yesterday

When I run the speed test it runs the download no problem then stop on the upload for about 2 minutes then shows that. I suspect still packet loss.
format

format

Just called Cox again and was advised there is a ticket in for line repair but that there is no ETA and they will just get to it when they can.
format

format

After I posted the above the Cox supervisor called back and said he had called back over to the techs sup and the techs sup told him they were not able to get the numbers because he says I asked the tech to leave. I did not ask the tech to leave he told me had everything he needed and that cox would get to it when they can and left. The supervisor said he found it odd because he was on the phone with me while the tech was here yesterday and he did not remember me asking the tech to leave. Needless to say now they have to schedule a appointment for actual cox tech to come and get the numbers they lost. Wow ...
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned)

Could you try running this? I'm curious if it'll show anything. Shaperprobe might be of interest, too.

»measurementlab.net/measu ··· ools#ndt
format
Tulsa, OK

format

NDT locked up on testing upload. I gave up after 5 minutes.

The shaperprobe shows
DiffProbe release. January 2012. Build 1008.
Shaper Detection Module.

Connected to server 80.239.142.215.

Estimating capacity:
Upstream: 2796 Kbps.
Downstream: 62318 Kbps.

The measurement will take upto 3.0 minutes. Please wait.

Checking for traffic shapers:

Upstream: Measurement aborted due to high packet loss rate.

Downstream: Burst size: 5023-6100 KB;
Shaping rate: 52994 Kbps.
format

format

So today a Cox tech came out and was here about a hour. He said all the signals look great and the line passed all tests. He called some people and they said it looked fine on their end but my upload was still 0.50 MB on the Ultimate tier. He changed the modem and it worked for a little bit and now its messed up again.

Can anyone tell me if this is good? This is while the problem is happening.

for upsteam
Power Level
Channel 1: 41.7 dBmv
Channel 2: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 3: 0.0 dBmv
Channel 4: 0.0 dBmv

Then I have this for downstream
Power Level Signal to Noise Ratio
Channel 1: -1.5 dBmv 39.7 dB
Channel 2: -1.4 dBmv 39.8 dB
Channel 3: -1.7 dBmv 38.4 dB
Channel 4: -1.6 dBmv 39.5 dB
Channel 5: -1.0 dBmv 39.7 dB
Channel 6: -1.3 dBmv 39.6 dB
Channel 7: -1.4 dBmv 39.3 dB
Channel 8: -1.6 dBmv 39.5 dB
format

format

format

format

»pastebin.com/u0L1MEPz

I decided to try pinging the default gateway to see what that looked like. Its pretty crazy looking.
phxuser
join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

phxuser

Shouldn't you have 3 or 4 upstream channels? With one upstream
channel your upload is not going to be very consistent.
format
Tulsa, OK

format

I am not sure. On a side note I called and scheduled another tech to come back out and the csr stated she can see I currently have 6% packet loss
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

54761437 (banned) to format

to format
Both your downstream power levels and SNR ratios are quite good. I don't have cable Internet so I can't speak to the number of channels for upstream--do they typically only use 1 channel? I mean, it seems like a problem at the node or wiring on the street rather than with your home wiring.

Do you notice the crappy upload speeds happening in any pattern? Like, at peak traffic hours (5P-Midnight, roughly)? Is it possible they just haven't provisioned you correctly for Ultimate?
GreyWolfX42
join:2001-08-25
Tulsa, OK

GreyWolfX42 to format

to format
Did you get a COX tech or a COX contractor tech? For the most part contractors are not very knowledgeable and I have asked more than one to pack and leave. You have a better chance of getting a problem repaired with the real deal and more clout if you get a runaround.
format
Tulsa, OK

format

The first tech was a third party tech. The second one was a Cox employee. He seemed to know his stuff but the problem was not at my house.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02 to format

to format
Agree with what I am hearing so far. Signals look good. I suspect packet loss too. I still think RG59 could be part of your problem. How much of a pain would it be to let the tech run a dedicated RG6 line directly from the box to your modem?

I am in OKC and we are currently bonding 8x1 as well. In my experience it should be fine for current ultimate speeds until the new speeds get to OK. I've had ultimate on 8x1 and got the 50/5 speeds as advertised.
format
Tulsa, OK

format

said by bchandler02:

Agree with what I am hearing so far. Signals look good. I suspect packet loss too. I still think RG59 could be part of your problem. How much of a pain would it be to let the tech run a dedicated RG6 line directly from the box to your modem?

I am in OKC and we are currently bonding 8x1 as well. In my experience it should be fine for current ultimate speeds until the new speeds get to OK. I've had ultimate on 8x1 and got the 50/5 speeds as advertised.

My line is a dedicated line. It was ran 5 years ago. There is no RG59 left in my home.
bchandler02
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

sorry, got you confused with someone else in the thread.