Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bbear2

Re: File Shredder for Network Drives

I don't know of one, but it seems like it would have to be inefficient. The way a "wipe free space on file system" utility tends to work is to create a file that uses up the rest of the free space, write zeroes (or random patterns) into that file, and then delete the file.

So if you've got 500GB of freespace, that's 500GB of writing per pass. Assuming you have USB 3.0 (5 Gb/s) and a 1 Gb/s network, the network is the bottleneck even if you can drive it at full speed. So you're looking at about 2 hours per pass minimum.

If your router can't drive a gigabit connection at full speed, multiply accordingly. And at some point the USB connection is the bottleneck.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

Thanks for those points about speed. My situation is such that I only need to wipe the free space and won't be doing it that often, so 2 hours (or whatever) would be acceptable. Still frustrating that I can't find a simple solution as for direct attached.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

What file system does this NAS use?

You need a program that runs on Windows, and supports the file system used on the NAS.

If it's a low-end consumer NAS, it's likely running Linux, Samba, and some Linux-supported file system.

Why's it matter? Because on some file systems, a honking great file of zeroes doesn't necessarily occupy any disk space ('sparse file support').

Can you get to the shell on this NAS? If so, perhaps there's a Linux utility you can use.