how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Redbox

join:2013-02-03
Scarborough, ON

Alienware M14X R2

Trying to see if this is worth buying. Have been reading reviews and a friend has the last generation one. Money isn't really an issue but I want a gaming laptop under 15 inchs.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

I have the last gen one, cooling it on sucks balls man. I get 80c cpu temp playing portal 2 for 15 minutes. Hence I built a desktop.

If you want a small gaming laptop I recomend the sager/clevo 11 inch laptop.

»www.xoticpc.com/sager-np6110-cle···gure=yes

It costs $776 for the base price. comes with an ivy bridge i5 and 650m 2GB model(a bit weaker than a 550ti but 2x the vram so trade offs, and it can OC to > 1ghz).

For $100 more you can add the quad core mobile i7, it will add more heat but also more preformance in games that use all 4 cores and like video editing or code compiling. May or may not be worth it.

for $25 more you can add IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU. It will lower temps so its worth it imho.

for $80 you can get "COPPER COOLING UPGRADE - Extra Cooling Copper Heatsinks Applied to the Heatsink/Heatpipes (XPC Service - requires shipment to XOTIC PC: will add to build time) " I'd say its worth it, but thats just me. My brother doesn't have it on his cause they didn't offer it when he got it and his does just fine temp wise but it does have the special thermal compound they offer on it and a cooling pad.

Comes with 8GB dual channel ddr3 1600mhz, can be doubled for $80.

Plethora of hdd/ssd choices, this base model comes with a 750GB hdd.

And many other options that I don't feel like listing because theres a LOT of them.

Also it doesnt come with an OS. for $80 they will put one on it. Kinda expensinve, but thats gaming laptops for ya.

Redbox

join:2013-02-03
Scarborough, ON

I heard about them, are they like customization barebone companies.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Redbox

said by Redbox:

Trying to see if this is worth buying. Have been reading reviews and a friend has the last generation one. Money isn't really an issue but I want a gaming laptop under 15 inchs.

How about at 15 inches? Your options open up considerably at that form factor, including this one:

»www.ibuypower.com/Store/Battalio···g_Laptop
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Redbox

No not barebone by any means. They just have a lot of extras you can get.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The Clevo is an OEM used by many builders. My iBuyPower is a CLEVO at heart.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Redbox

This might be worth looking at: »www.tomshardware.com/news/XPS-13···=RSS-181
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.