how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to Dennis

Re: Clogged kitchen drain, drain snake not permanently fixing...

I had a similar problem. I found it just as easy to cut out the old PVC, which was plugged and replace. The pipe is cheap and easy enough to do.

For the cost of the jetting, you can just replace it. In an unfinished basement it should be pretty easy. I was doing it above my suspended ceiling in the basement. I also had to rehang it as the hangers had broke, which helped cause the problem.

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

said by cwm1276:

For the cost of the jetting, you can just replace it.

That was on my list of options but I took it off because of the 1% chance that the clog might not be in the 23' run but rather in the 5' feet of pipe that drops it down into the basement.
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

said by Dennis:

That was on my list of options but I took it off because of the 1% chance that the clog might not be in the 23' run but rather in the 5' feet of pipe that drops it down into the basement.

Vertical pipes shouldn't clog that badly. They might not be pretty, but should certainly be in better shape than horizontal runs.

What about using enzyme drain treatments for a month or so to "eat" the fat/grease ? Since you're careful about what you put down the drain, you shouldn't have to use it long-term.

cwm1276

join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL
reply to Dennis

I went down stairs and could lift the pipe slightly, you could tell by how heavy the pipe was if it was plugged, normally the pipe should not weigh much if it empty.