spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to Gone

Re: You do not realize how old a movie is...

First of all, if you want to be a nitpicker about it, atomic energy was technically "discovered" by Albert Einstein back in the 1920's or perhaps you could even track it back to Madame Curie or Charles Rutherford in the 19th century.

The technology to harness it for useful purposes, however, did not come to pass until the latter half of the twentieth century and that in fact was an act of invention.

Secondly, one item is not "most of that stuff" as you so glibly put it.

And finally, most of the innovations we see coming from today's generations are largely trivial and not nearly as groundbreaking as the work of their forefathers. Google may be a nifty information processing tool, but next to some of the achievements I've mentioned, it is nothing more than evolutionary development and not the paradigm shattering creations which came out of WWII and the 4 decades which followed.

Today's discoveries are evolutionary, not revolutionary...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by lugnut :

First of all, if you want to be a nitpicker about it, atomic energy was technically "discovered" by Albert Einstein back in the 1920's or perhaps you could even track it back to Madame Curie or Charles Rutherford in the 19th century.

Atomic reactions on this planet are about 2 billion years old.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to lugnut
said by lugnut :

Secondly, one item is not "most of that stuff" as you so glibly put it.

... yet you went out of your way to say this particular one was "invented" while the others were discovered. As DKS rightfully pointed out, atomic reactions have existed for billions of years, and are the foundation blocks to the creation of this universe. We as human beings merely came to a point where we figured out how they work, and have continued to figure out even more about how those reactions work even today (Higgs boson, anyone?), despite your claims that people today have contributed nothing to science.

said by lugnut :

And finally, most of the innovations we see coming from today's generations are largely trivial and not nearly as groundbreaking as the work of their forefathers. Google may be a nifty information processing tool, but next to some of the achievements I've mentioned, it is nothing more than evolutionary development and not the paradigm shattering creations which came out of WWII and the 4 decades which followed.

Aside from the fact that the "invention" of Google has allowed anyone anywhere to have access to instant knowledge on any topic and as a result is not something I would so "gibly" dismiss as trivial, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the modern advances made by today's generation, particularly in the fields of health care.

When you're surviving cancer or any other at-one-time-terminal illness rather than discussing funeral arrangements with your wife and children and preparing yourself to be dead in the ground, be sure to tell the young researches at the university who discovered new innovations in treatment that their contribution to science and technology is "trivial" compared to what people before them did.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
Technically, any computer related discovery or invention isn't anything truly new. It's just the extended use of existing tools which have been developed over many decades.

What Nikola Tesla has accomplished with electricity however was truly new and revolutionary. Multi-phase motors, AC power, fluorescent lighting, radio and wireless remote control, AC generator...

Try to find a single inventor who's contributions came anywhere close to Tesla's earth changing inventions.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
If you're going to use that argument, all discoveries are just extending the use of something already available. AC power always existed. Nuclear reactions always existed. Radio-frequency radiation always existed. It merely took someone to figure out how they work and harness their potential for practical purposes.

So, knowing this, your claim either isn't valid, or it's a blanket statement that applies to everyone at all points in history for all discoveries. Take your pick.

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Aside from the fact that the "invention" of Google has allowed anyone anywhere to have access to instant knowledge on any topic and as a result is not something I would so "gibly" dismiss as trivial, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the modern advances made by today's generation, particularly in the fields of health care.

I choose to disagree. Google was not the first search engine on the internet. See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine

I would however agree that Google is an evolution of the search engine that revolutionized our ability to search the internet. It is not an invention.

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by Robrr:

said by Gone:

I choose to disagree. Google was not the first search engine on the internet. See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_search_engine

I would however agree that Google is an evolution of the search engine that revolutionized our ability to search the internet. It is not an invention.

Ahhh I remember using Lycos and Webcrawler on Mosaic. Thanks for the memories Robrr.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Robrr
said by Robrr:

Google was the first to perfect the auto indexing functionality that existed prior with sites like Webcrawler and Altavista, to which I very much remember using prior to Google. In that sense I completely agree with your point, but at the same time I also can't help but add that Google was the one that changed the world. In that sense, if people are willing to all Steve Jobs an innovator for perfecting devices that already existed, that same credit is due to the founders of Google for making web searching something that is now a part of our day-to-day lives the same way iPods and tablets are now.