spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

allex81

@comcast.net

buying a car ill start using in another state...

i have 2 cars, but 1 needs to be sold and i need a new car, and
ill be moving from CT to AZ in a few months...
options:

1. buy car local, in CT (and trade-in 1 old car) and drive new car to AZ, but i need to ship the other car to AZ(can only drive 1 of the cars)
2. ill be visiting AZ soon, can I buy the car in AZ, leave it there & pay until i move and pick it up (would the dealership store it until i come??)
3. can i buy the car in CT for AZ? or would the dealer need to ship it there... in which case it would be like #1

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1

#2 seems to be the least amount of effort, shipping expense, etc.

I would try for #2 and see if the dealer will be kind enough to store the car for you. If it's not too long (a few weeks?) you've got a good chance.

If the dealer won't cooperate, you'll probably be able to pay to have it stored at a public storage facility. You know, the ones that look like mini garages. You'll have to pay, of course, but it will be cheaper than shipping one from CT to AZ, which generally runs about $1/mile.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to allex81

Why not sell what ever cars needed in CT - drive the other to AZ and then buy the second car? Seems to be the easiest in total.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to allex81

Shipping cars is not cheap, in addition, depending on what kind of cars you have in CT, it may be better to sell one, or both, and then buy another car in AZ.

If the cars are good and not too thirsty, you can drive one there when visiting, leave it in a storage, fly back, and then drive over with the other car.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

allex81

@comcast.net
reply to CylonRed

i'd buy the car later, but when i move there i wont have a job... and if they ask to see pay stubs... we have too much debt without my job (although we have enough savings until i get a new job) ... so i dont want to get a high interest rate

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Then sell both cars in CT - buy a new one in CT and drive it to AZ. When in AZ - buy a second car (used) or just have one car for awhile in AZ.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

harald

join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH
reply to allex81

Start by looking into the arizona tax situation. My best guess is that if you buy it in CT you will pay sales/use tax a second time in AZ. There are legal ways around this, which involve not taking title in Conneticut but getting another sort of document (name unknown to me) That you subsequently use to get title in AZ.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Not sure about AZ, but when importing a car into WA, it has to pass a State Patrol inspection. No such thing with local cars. Also, I'd expect AZ cars in general to be less rusty than cars from the Northeast.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

harald

Columbus, OH
reply to allex81

See here for info on bringing a car into AZ:

»www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/F···&Keyword

Paragraphs 2 and 5.

I recommend a stiff drink before reading 2.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

All pretty standard for any state that levies a tax on a MV.

harald

Columbus, OH

I guess we're pretty lucky in Ohio - $34.50.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Yes - we are lucky in this aspect. Though a number of the states that have this tax do not have a state income tax.
--
Brian

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to allex81

Buy a car in AZ. If you can find a car that hasn't left the area it will probably have no rust at all.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to allex81

If one of the cars can handle a hitch (larger RWD cars usually, like Crown Vic's, Grand Marquis, etc) rent a UHaul tow dolly and tow the other car (assuming the 2nd one is FWD).
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to aurgathor

Not true.

Changed vehicle License from Oregon to Washington in October on a 2002 F150.
First ran it through Emission Testing, it passed. All they did was scan the VIN, hook up their test stuff and ran the test. Spent less than 10 minutes there.

Then went to one of the Private Licensing Bureaus and had my Lien holder in Oregon Fax them Copy of Title, front and back.
Once that was done paid my money and walked out with Washington Plates and Washington Registration.

Paid no sales tax or other extra fees, as I had owned it more than 90 days in Oregon.

I understand if I were bringing in a vehicle with a salvage title or such, then would have had to have the State Patrol do an inspection.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

They must've changed the procedure since the late 80's, I guess.

jacksparow

join:2013-03-27
reply to allex81

i will stick up with the second option you can visit the delear ship store and get one