join:2002-12-20
South Plainfield, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bcade

Re: How to manage two WAN and two ROUTER connections

said by bcade:

I have a home LAN served by two ISPs. I used to have a dual WAN router where I could administer all the computers hooked up to both ISPs... ...Problem is I can't administer both routers through one CAT5 connection as I currently have it set up. Is it possible...

I feel as if I'm missing something here since no one else has else posted my 2008 solution - I assigned the Cable Router to 192.168.0.254 and the DSL Router to 192.168.0.252. The DHCP Server was enabled on the Cable Router and Disabled on the DSL Router. But, I use MAC-to-IP mapping and Manual IP Configuration for all of my devices so I really only need a DHCP Server when I plug in something 'Brand New' that needs an 'Initial IP' so that I can get to its Setup screen and assign it an IP of my choosing.

As I stated in my previous post, I have no experience with Managed Switches and Patch Panels but my solution worked fine with an Unmanaged Switch.

I also have no experience with your Router - 10/100 or 10/100/1000. Even if it's 1Gbps, if you have available ports on the Switch, I'd use them first, just to keep the load on the Router as low as possible.
--
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950) LM