share rss forum feed

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30
reply to phillykeefer

Re: Thinking about upgrading to 150/65

Can't say since you don't indicate what equipment you currently have. We're not mind readers.

Are you on BPON or GPON? You didn't say. If you're on BPON, then yes, a change of ONT is required. There's no change in modems because FIOS doesn't use modems. Whether an upgrade of your router is required, depends on what Actiontec revision you currently have.

If you're provisioned on coax WAN (again you didn't say), then cat5 will need to be run between the ONT and the router.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

phillykeefer

@verizon.net

Yes, my mistake for not providing enough details and deeming the router a "modem". It was more so a mindless typo than anything.

It appears I have a GPON ONT -- a Motorola ONT100GJ2.

The router is an Actiontec MI424-WR Revision E.

And yes, the line is provisioned throughout the house via coaxial. I'll go out and buy some ethernet cable and run a drop next weekend...

So the only remaining question is regarding the capability of the router...

Also, as much as I am very appreciative of your advice, please spare me the condescension next time.

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA

I was on an E and was upgraded to an I router when I upgraded from 75 to 150. I was told via phone that it was necessary. I assume due to the Gig-E ports on the router.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to phillykeefer

said by phillykeefer :

And yes, the line is provisioned throughout the house via coaxial. I'll go out and buy some ethernet cable and run a drop next weekend...

AFAIK part of the speed upgrade includes VZ switching you to cat5e which means you can probably just let them take care of it for free (so you don't have to buy or run the cable.

Now I can understand if you are so inclined that you might prefer to do it yourself but pretty sure VZ will do it for free since its required for the speed upgrade.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!