spc
uniqs

Optional
join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON

Optional to Annex

to Annex

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy Cable vs Rogers/Start

What is this bollocks? Is our country seriously this backwards when it comes to communication? I'm pretty sure my cellphones wireless network has 5x's the upload that I do.

My fiancee and I agreed that she'd move up here (she's an american).. I may have to bring that discussion up again.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but we're only seeing download speed increases right? This shit makes me so irritated.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

This is me correcting you because you're wrong: upload speeds are going up too. It's all outlined in this thread (page 10-ish if I remember correctly): »CNOC speed matching decision due next week
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Optional

to Optional
said by Optional:

I'm pretty sure my cellphones wireless network has 5x's the upload that I do.

But with a cap that makes it pretty much useless.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983 to squircle

Premium Member

to squircle
said by squircle:

This is me correcting you because you're wrong: upload speeds are going up too. It's all outlined in this thread (page 10-ish if I remember correctly): »CNOC speed matching decision due next week

CRTC is also forcing Rogers to provide 45/7 to TPIA in upgraded areas, instead of the mere 45/4 they were trying to get away with doing.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

I sent an email to start the other day asking about the 45/7 and the girl replied saying that they don't have that offer up for anyone. Do you know when rogers will be forced to give everyone 7 upload when its availible in the selected areas?

"We are only able to provide up to 4Mbps upload with our Pro cable package. We are not offering any packages with the 7Mbps upload speed that you mentioned."

She told me this^
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by mikee:

I sent an email to start the other day asking about the 45/7 and the girl replied saying that they don't have that offer up for anyone. Do you know when rogers will be forced to give everyone 7 upload when its availible in the selected areas?

"We are only able to provide up to 4Mbps upload with our Pro cable package. We are not offering any packages with the 7Mbps upload speed that you mentioned."

She told me this^

It was just ordered on Thursday. Rogers has to refile their tariff within 30 days of last thurs, and then aggregated TPIAs like Start can offer it.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by resa1983:

said by mikee:

She told me this^

It was just ordered on Thursday. Rogers has to refile their tariff within 30 days of last thurs, and then aggregated TPIAs like Start can offer it.

Interesting. Rogers reps have been unable to offer their customer higher upstream tiers, because many have been too lazy to read their knowledgebase material. It will be interesting if TPIAs can offer it to their customers with greater ease.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

said by resa1983:

said by mikee:

She told me this^

Interesting. Rogers reps have been unable to offer their customer higher upstream tiers, because many have been too lazy to read their knowledgebase material. It will be interesting if TPIAs can offer it to their customers with greater ease.

Oh I know.. I was on the phone 45 minutes with the person I got my info from that I submitted to the CRTC, finding out if it was available in my area, and that's with telling her exactly what to look for in the product code.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

These ISPs dole out the internet like it's Crack Cocaine. What's the difference between 25/2, 35/3 and 45/4 to a provider? Nothing, that's what.

If the thieves had any class at all they'd give you the best they currently had at a decent price:

Lite=45/4
Standard= 150/10

Rogers has set a fine example with their street corner drug pusher mentality. Get 'em hooked then bleed 'em dry.

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

CRTC is also forcing Rogers to provide 45/7 to TPIA in upgraded areas, instead of the mere 45/4 they were trying to get away with doing.

Will that only be One new tier, at 45/7? Or might 7M Upload become an option available to other DL speeds too?
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by jasmo34:

said by resa1983:

Will that only be One new tier, at 45/7? Or might 7M Upload become an option available to other DL speeds too?

Depends on how Rogers tariffs it.

They could tariff 45/7, or they could tariff the 7mbps upload as an addon to a package for x amount. *shrug*
Expand your moderator at work

jasmo34
join:2008-03-20
~ London ~

jasmo34 to resa1983

to resa1983

Re: [Cable] Teksavvy Cable vs Rogers/Start

said by resa1983:

They could tariff 45/7, or they could tariff the 7mbps upload as an addon to a package for x amount. *shrug*

If they make it a stand-alone option, let's hope it ends up more practical than Bell's 7M and 10M FTTN Upload options!

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

I'm wondering though what the actual sustained up and down speed/rate will be on the new packages that are comming up.

Its one thing for a speedtest and another for a sustained down/up load with bigger files.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TwiztedZero:

I'm wondering though what the actual sustained up and down speed/rate will be on the new packages that are comming up.

Consumer connections never have any kind of guarantee of the sustained throughput.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to resa1983

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by jasmo34:

said by resa1983:

Aren't they supposed to mirror their retail offerings? If so, the 7 upload would only be available on the 45 tier at no additional charge if you live in an eligible area.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by yyzlhr:

Aren't they supposed to mirror their retail offerings? If so, the 7 upload would only be available on the 45 tier at no additional charge if you live in an eligible area.

I guess the 7 would only be available on the 45 tier. However CRTC also said that wholesale is based on costs, and not what the incumbent does (which is a total about-face from prior re-speeding decisions).
It almost looks now like if Rogers re-speeds, they don't have to provide it to TPIA unless they do a tariff.

It really looks like they decided beforehand what was going to happen, then warped prior decisions to attempt to justify the new one.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

2 edits

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

Well, you inspired me to finally read the decision
said by resa1983:

However CRTC also said that wholesale is based on costs, and not what the incumbent does (which is a total about-face from prior re-speeding decisions).

I'm not familiar with previous re-speeding decisions, but..
Where a cost study has not been provided, rates for WHSA services at an existing lower speed would provide an appropriate interim rate for the new service speed.
The CRTC's official goal has always been cost plus, hasn't it? So to say existing lower until you provide a cost study sounds pretty consistent/reasonable. Assuming the cost study has any basis in reality, of course
said by resa1983:

It almost looks now like if Rogers re-speeds, they don't have to provide it to TPIA unless they do a tariff.

I just don't see that at all. Speed matching requirements are all over that decision.

(Edit: or are you just talking about TPIA, vs. Aggregated TPIA, 'cause even if we think that decision is wrong, it is a moot point now)

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

ATPIA only. Current system will remain as is, until after all are moved to ATPIA.