NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:1

1 edit

[FiOS] DNS Redirection Opt Out Server

Well it's a sad day, but guess it was inevitable. Frontier has enabled redirection on their formerly opt out servers; 184.16.33.56, 184.16.4.23.

Cannot not seem to locate any new Frontier DNS redirection opt out servers and the only link for opt out servers on their site redirects to the ad page. Lot of help that is.

Guess I'll just have to finally change to Google and Level 3 DNS servers.

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/
Say Thanks with a Tool Points Donation

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2

Been using OpenDNS for a year or so now. No regrets.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Thanks but think I'll be using Google and Level 3.
Those are the next quickest query responses here.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by NOYB:

Those are the next quickest query responses here.

Understand, I don't think you will be disappointed.

td798

join:2013-01-31
Clackamas, OR
reply to NOYB

Unless you're an avid Apple product user. Google DNS doesn't play well with Apple because they use Akamai for content delivery. Ironically my iPhone had an update last year that wouldn't download when my DNS was set to Frontier IPs, but downloaded just fine when I changed it to Google DNS.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by td798:

Unless you're an avid Apple product user. Google DNS doesn't play well with Apple because they use Akamai for content delivery.

That doesn't make a lot of sense - a lot of content providers use Akamai, not just Apple. Seems like you may have hit a temporary issue -- we've got 2 iPhone and 2 iPads at home and use Google DNS just fine... for years.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

td798

Clackamas, OR

True, the problem is not just with Apple, but that's where most people notice it because of iTunes popularity. The issue is Akamai uses the DNS resolver for geolocation. There are plenty of threads on this known issue. Just Google "google dns akamai" and you'll see a lot of articles written about it as well. When my iPhone update wouldn't download I searched online, found Google DNS was a solution, and it worked. After switching though, I noticed occasional problems streaming a TV show or movie to the Apple TV, and App updates even took longer to download on my phone. I searched online again I read that others had the same problem when using Google or OpenDNS. Even Google's Public DNS FAQ page addresses the issue. I didn't have any problems with Netflix or Amazon Instant Video, it was only downloads or streams from iTunes. Google DNS is definitely faster and I still use it, but I was just giving NYOB my experience with the unexpected consequence of switching DNS servers.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Weird because when folks have problems streaming with Netflix on the Boxee Box the solution that usually works is to switch to Google DNS...
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

td798

Clackamas, OR

1 edit
reply to darcilicious

duplicate post

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
reply to NOYB

I am not a FiOS customer, but I would think that checking with Frontier’s FiOS tech support to ensure that they aren’t having issues. I am sure they will escalate your issues if needed.

Here is the FiOS tech support phone that I found on Frontier's website: 877-462-0488.

I hope this helps.
Frontier Fan!!

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

said by jenni4um:

I am not a FiOS customer, but I would think that checking with Frontier’s FiOS tech support to ensure that they aren’t having issues. I am sure they will escalate your issues if needed.

Here is the FiOS tech support phone that I found on Frontier's website: 877-462-0488.

I hope this helps.
Frontier Fan!!

Think it goes without saying that they are having issues. But I'm not going to give them my time for free to fix their issues. If it is indeed an issue with their DNS rather then intentional policy and they don't have the motivation to fix it without me holding their hand then that is just too bad because I've already moved my DNS queries to other providers.

Businesses need to be more proactive and stop relying so much on customers to identify and fix their issues.

No it didn't help.
Verizon Outcast!!

--
Be a Good Netizen - Read, Know & Complain About Overly Restrictive Tyrannical ISP ToS & AUP »comcast.net/terms/ »verizon.net/policies/

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by NOYB:

Think it goes without saying that they are having issues. But I'm not going to give them my time for free to fix their issues. If it is indeed an issue with their DNS rather then intentional policy and they don't have the motivation to fix it without me holding their hand then that is just too bad because I've already moved my DNS queries to other providers.

You are greatly overestimating the worth of your time for you to "fix their issue". A 30 second email to their support may be enough of your invaluable time for them to fix something that was inadvertently changed

said by NOYB:

Businesses need to be more proactive and stop relying so much on customers to identify and fix their issues.

Some things can be detected, tested, or planned for. Other things take a special set of circumstances or unforeseen events to happen before the issues appear. Welcome to IT/telecom. They can take a page out of NASA's playbook and plan and test for nearly every scenario that could be encountered, but expect your monthly bill to go up exponentially. And even then something bad can still happen.

said by NOYB:

Verizon Outcast!!

Let it go, man. Let. It. Go.

wesm
Premium
join:1999-07-29
Redmond, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to NOYB

said by NOYB:

Verizon Outcast!!

They're not coming back*, my friend. That ship has sailed. The party has ended. The fat lady has sung. These and other metaphors for the end of a state of being can be yours, if the price is right. Now, we have Frontier, whose official motto for FiOS should be "still faster and more reliable than Comcast."

* Maybe. At this point, 1% odds.

Ben J
Triple Play Architect
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA
kudos:7
reply to NOYB

It's not a very elegant solution, but the opt-out isn't just cookie based. If you "opt-out" on the search page, it remembers the IP address you opt'd out from and the anycast DNS servers will start returning NXDOMAIN responses again.
--
Transparency Disclosure and Disclaimer: I am a Frontier employee posting in my own personal capacity. The opinions and positions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of Frontier.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Not only not elegant but also not acceptable.

Unless Frontier makes a commitment to provide and reliably maintain non redirecting DNS servers I will be using others. Do it or don't choice is theirs. I've made my choice.

--