Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

2 recommendations

Mini Drones: Army Deploys Tiny Helicopters

Coming to a window near you...

quote:
British troops are using a nano drone just 10cm long and weighing 16 grams on the front line in Afghanistan to provide vital information on the ground.

They are the first to use the state-of-the-art handheld tiny surveillance helicopters, which relay reliable full motion video and still images back to the devices' handlers in the battlefield.

»news.sky.com/story/1047004/mini-···icopters
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

Also spotted:
• »www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/british-···.1141795

quote:
LONDON -- Britain's military says its soldiers in Afghanistan have been issued with surveillance drones so small they can fit in the palm of your hand.

The Scandinavian-designed Black Hornet Nano weighs as little as 16 grams -- the same as a finch. The 10-centimetre-long helicopter is fitted with a tiny camera which relays still images and video to a remote terminal.

The military quoted Sgt. Christopher Petherbridge, with Britain's Brigade Reconnaissance Force, as saying troops used the drone "to look for insurgent firing points and check out exposed areas of the ground before crossing."

The ministry said Sunday that the Black Hornet was developed by Norway's Prox Dynamics AS as part of a 20 million pound (US$30 million) contract for 160 units with southern England's Marlborough Communications Ltd.

Trooper
Premium
join:2005-05-18
USA
reply to StuartMW

I want one of those!

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

You'll soon be able to I'm sure.

The military have them now. Soon SWAT squads followed by the police. Then the media. Then individuals.

As I said

quote:
Coming to a window near you...

PS: We all know that the media covers big stories via helicopters. Imagine the footage they'll be able to get with these things.
--

Trooper
Premium
USA

Indeed.

Goodbye privacy. It was great knowing you while it lasted. :\
--
This space for rent.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW

I wonder how long it will be before some military R&D house comes out with a small dragon-drone designed to seek, attack, and destroy other tiny drones... the future possibilities for measure-countermeasure seem limitless.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

I was thinking of a small EMP generator

Trooper
Premium
USA

said by StuartMW:

Ding ding ding.

Winner!
--
This space for rent.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

But tiny sidewinder missiles would be more flashy and dramatic!
--
Think Outside the Fox.

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

said by sivran:

said by StuartMW:

But tiny sidewinder missiles would be more flashy and dramatic!

They already have combined the two.
»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/10···crowave/
But a tiny one would be cuter.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Trooper

said by Trooper:

I want one of those!

Let's do the math!

"The ministry said Sunday that the Black Hornet was developed by Norway's Prox Dynamics AS as part of a 20 million pound (US$30 million) contract for 160 units with southern England's Marlborough Communications Ltd. "

$30,000,000 divided by 160 units = a measly $187,500 EACH!

I'll only be able to get one once they reach commodity pricing.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to StuartMW

Drone strikes on US citizens justified in leaked DOJ memo
»www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/395331···mericans

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

PS: We all know that the media covers big stories via helicopters. Imagine the footage they'll be able to get with these things.

They will never use them. If they, the media, did, they would have to report the true story! That would put them out of business.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by jaykaykay:

They will never use them. If they, the media, did, they would have to report the true story!

Well they haven't done that since the invention of the printing press in 1450 so I doubt small drones will make a difference
--

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to StuartMW

And so it begins. »www.usnews.com/news/articles/201···inks:TOP

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to siljaline

said by siljaline:

Drone strikes on US citizens justified in leaked DOJ memo
»www.theverge.com/2013/2/5/395331···mericans

It raises a question: if Syria used a Syrian drone to attack and kill a Syrian rebel (and a Syrian citizen) on American soil while visiting a university here, what would be America's response? The sovereignty and Constitutional issues and conflicts raised by the drone policy revealed in this document are so profound that it's staggering to contemplate. To make pretense that it unilaterally sets some kind of "legal" rationale makes a travesty of every concept that the word "legal" implies. There is zero judicial involvement, either in the US or the nation in which the strike occurs. As the use (and lethality) of drones explodes around the world and as they become ever-smaller, these kinds of issues are the very ones that will come back to haunt every single one of us.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5
reply to StuartMW

I thought that government helicopters had to be black?

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Blackbird

There were some long discussions here on drone attacks and the ethics therefore, this news item highlights the extent of how the US is deploying drones to kill.
»www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe···ne-yemen

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

There were some long discussions here on drone attacks and the ethics therefore, this news item highlights the extent of how the US is deploying drones to kill.
»www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/fe···ne-yemen

The article also highlights yet another one of those curious timing "coincidences" that seem to pop up from time to time:
quote:
... Disclosure of the Saudi co-operation comes the day before the architect of the drone programme, John Brennan, appears before the US Senate for a confirmation hearing to become the CIA director. ...
Another Guardian article elaborates about the disclosure... Washington Post was forced into finally revealing drone base secret:
quote:
...For more than a year, the paper refrained from disclosing the location of a secret US military base in Saudi Arabia from which CIA drones were launched. It did so at the request of the Obama administration, which argued that exposing the facility would undermine operations against al-Qaida in Yemen and might potentially damage counter-terrorism collaboration with Saudi Arabia.

But the Post learned on Tuesday night that another news outlet was planning to reveal the location of the base, effectively ending an informal arrangement among several news organisations that had been aware of the location. So the paper decided it was no longer feasible to keep the secret and published the information. Its story was followed up by Fox News here. ...
It leads one to wonder if there are some in CIA who aren't exactly thrilled at the prospect of his directorship.
--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to StuartMW

CIA director nominee Brennan likely to face Democrats' scrutiny at hearing
»www.cnn.com/2013/02/07/politics/···dex.html

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to HarryH3

said by HarryH3:

$30,000,000 divided by 160 units = a measly $187,500 EACH!

I'll only be able to get one once they reach commodity pricing.

Once Radio Shack gets involved, they'll be $59.95.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.