Search similar:

uniqs

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis

Premium Member

Anyone with knowledge of plumbing?

I live in a very old apartment complex. There's a guy that has been working on remodeling a couple of the buildings owned by the landlord, real nice guy.

During a conversation I mentioned that I had bought a Brita pitcher and he said he doesn't recommend I drink water from the faucet, even with a filter. He said the pipes are super old and disgusting as well as some kind of oxygenated damage (don't recall exactly the term).

Anywho, should I be concerned and not drink the water? The water taste pretty great from the pitcher. But I rather invest in bottled water vs health problems in the future.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Maybe the building has lead pipes? Or lead solder? In any event, running the water long enough to ensure you're getting fresh water from the street (instead of water that's been sitting in the pipes) should be fine.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
Maybe take a sample and have it tested.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to monchis

MVM

to monchis
You might ask the question in the Home Improvement forum:
»Home Improvement

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to monchis

Premium Member

to monchis
Check with your local municipality, yearly they should send out a water quality test results. Then like other said run the water at least for 10 seconds to flush. If you are really concerned, then take a water sample and send it out to test. I know a lot of Big Box Store have them.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

1 recommendation

Pacrat to monchis

MVM

to monchis
I have a feeling that most people would not drink the water if they could see what's inside the water mains, let alone household piping. Have your water tested if you're that concerned.

monchis
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09

monchis

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I didn't know I could get my water tested.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

Easiest way is to check the Yellow Pages for water testing.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to monchis

to monchis
Keep in mind the testing companies will ask what contaminates you want them to test for. There's no one, all-encompassing water test.