share rss forum feed

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Blogger

Re: Ready to dump Windows, is Mac or Linux better for me?

Can I build my own Mac? Can I shop around for various parts off new egg and buid it myself?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by Archivis:

Can I build my own Mac? Can I shop around for various parts off new egg and buid it myself?

Yup...

»www.hackintosh.com/

Hours of fun await.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to Archivis

Yes. Search for Hackintosh. When Apple went Intel, it became much easier to do this.

(I type too slow, answer slipped in above me.... )

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to systemq

said by systemq :

I use my computer for work, editing photographs and maintaining a website as a hobby, and of course browsing the web. That's pretty much it. ...
So for someone who mainly uses Office, Photoshop, and Firefox, what operating system would be better for me?

I know Mac has Office and Photoshop and would probably need to buy them for the new operating system, and Linux has alternatives for free. I tried OpenOffice for Windows a while back and did not like the Word and Excel alternatives.

MAC

said by systemq :

... I know Mac has Office and Photoshop and would probably need to buy them for the new operating system, and Linux has alternatives for free. I tried OpenOffice for Windows a while back and did not like the Word and Excel alternatives. It also had no Outlook. I have no idea what Photoshop for Linux is.

Openoffice? Try it again, its much better than before, and will run much better on newer hardware.

Outlook? Use a web based email instead. (GMail etc.)

Linux Photoshop? Try GIMP. (there is a windows version)
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to systemq

Hackintosh Hand-Holding

A bit of digging for anyone who wants the A to Z of setting a Hackintosh with Mountain Lion:

»www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-i···-pc.html
--

systemq

@dslextreme.com

Do I need to be a current Mac owner to buy a Mac OS DVD from Apple and put it on a Windows machine? Kinda got lost with this discussion. It says to buy it from the Mac App Store but I don't have Mac to have the app store. Catch-22.

But before I spend money on anything I will need to try it out. Best Buy's sales were annoying and never left me alone, one day when I'm in an area with those huge Apple Stores that I see on TV I will drop by there.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

You dont need to own a mac as far as I know.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by me1212:

I don't believe so either... my wife just upgraded hers, so I can download a backup copy I'm assuming you can just download the ISO after you shell out the $20, but I'm not 100% sure.
--

systemq

@dslextreme.com

The operating system costs $20? I would order that now. I can't find it in the store section of apple's website. Could you kindly advise where it is please.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by me1212:

I don't believe so either... my wife just upgraded hers, so I can download a backup copy I'm assuming you can just download the ISO after you shell out the $20, but I'm not 100% sure.

No, they courier you the DVD, or you take your proof of purchase into an Apple Store, and they load it onto your Mac directly from their server (which, for obvious reasons, wouldn't be an option... )

»store.apple.com/ca/product/MC573···-leopard

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by Archivis:

Yup...

»www.hackintosh.com/

Hours of fun await.

AND, wait for it....you can have two HDs in it, one with OS X and one with another OS. You then LITERALLY have two, count them two, autonomous computers in one box for the price of one
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Blogger:

AND, wait for it....you can have two HDs in it, one with OS X and one with another OS. You then LITERALLY have two, count them two, autonomous computers in one box for the price of one

Considering you can dual boot a Mac with Windows nowadays, I can't see why you couldn't dual boot your Hackintosh on a single hard-drive.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

I'm surprised that you don't see the advantages of having two autonomous HDs for each operating system versus a partition HD all eggs in one basket. There are also other advantages to two HDs too.

I'm sure since individuals have different preferences and experiences they can decide what type of setup is right for them.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Blogger:

I'm surprised that you don't see the advantages of having two autonomous HDs for each operating system versus a partition HD all eggs in one basket. There are also other advantages to two HDs too.

I kept my Windows and Ubuntu installs on separate drives from 6.06 to 11.10 pretty much, but I absolutely despise having to screw around with Grub when it all goes to hell.

As it stands I've got my dual boot setup on an SSD, and my data on a combination of HDDs and external media, if something goes wrong, I can re-install everything, or re-image, seeing as all I've got on the SSD are the two OSes.
--

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA
reply to LazMan

Re: Hackintosh Hand-Holding

said by LazMan:

No, they courier you the DVD, or you take your proof of purchase into an Apple Store, and they load it onto your Mac directly from their server (which, for obvious reasons, wouldn't be an option... )

»store.apple.com/ca/product/MC573···-leopard

Snow Leopard is the last OS they offer on DVD. To get Mountain Lion legitimately, one needs to download it via the App Store on a Snow Leopard-running machine.

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to systemq

Before I'd go the Hackintosh route I'd just assume pickup a Mac Mini and install Windows through Bootcamp. From what I've read about going the hackintosh route, it can end up being a giant pain in the ass to keep things updated.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

Sudbury, MA

said by Badger3k:

Before I'd go the Hackintosh route .....

I haven't had luck, myself. I bought a Dell Laptop a couple years back, on sale, intending to hackintosh it. A few nights of trying, and I could even get it restored to the original OS. I returned it, and haven't tried since.

scootwhoman

join:2013-02-14
reply to systemq

From the sound of it, you are not a geeky, programmer type of user, just someone who likes using a computer to be productive. Although Linux is the wave of the future, you probably do not feel like learning a new skill so that you can keep your computer working the way that you like it. Apple may have its drawbacks, but it does make computers accessible to people who do not want to learn how to proceed from a command line prompt.

So I would recommend to this person that they figure out how to download and burn the Ubuntu installation CD, and install it side by side with their Windows OS, and then go buy an Apple Imac. I have worked with Apples over the years, and I respect the company for putting together a package of software that meets the needs of the typical user while avoiding confusion and conflict on the computer. They provide probably the best monitors I have ever seen, but I don't like the way the newest macs are built. The Power PC macs were put together very nicely, but the new ones are really difficult to access for maintenance.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to systemq

I use all 3 (Windows, OSX, and Linux)

I've been using macs for 5 years or so now (with Windows VMs and an RDP accessible Windows box for things that I can't do with Mac). I like the hardware, especially their laptops. I find OSX just okay. The gestures on a laptop are great, but Finder drives me insane. I do appreciate that Apple has kept changes to OSX on the conservative side.

I've given OSX more than its fair shake. I'd probably go back to Windows, but Windows 8 is going in totally the wrong direction for me. I find Microsoft's "Metro" UI styling butt-ugly and I'm not interested in using third party hacks for something as basic as accessing programs (I feel the same about Finder replacements under OSX). I still use Win7 a lot.

I use Linux as well, but I've settled on just using it for servers/ command line / hacking purposes. Linux is great until you need commercial software for something. In general my linux experience is that it's fantastic for about 90% of what I want to do, but that last 10% is a lot of hacking and pain. I appreciate that it has the hackability factor, though.

Mac hardware gives you the most options as it can run Linux/Windows natively in addition to OSX.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to systemq

Re: Hackintosh Hand-Holding

Guide to make a installer for Mtn Lion.

»arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/ho···ll-disk/

And if you feel guilty, just get a dead mac with an intel chip... then you will meet the licence requirements

powerage66
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Seminole, FL
reply to systemq

I'm a huge fan of Linux Mint, either dual booting with Windows or running off the live disc.