uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to J E F F

Re: [NFL] Superbowl - The Three Chokers.

The SuperDome definitely choked, and it lasted over 30 minutes.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to J E F F

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

Mercedes must have not been a happy sponsor, they were showing the inside roof where the lights were out and there's a bigass Mercedes logo there
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

I remember that, it was hilarious.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to J E F F

I must of missed that..

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to J E F F

There were actually a few, now that I check online.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by Rook008:

Mercedes must have not been a happy sponsor, they were showing the inside roof where the lights were out and there's a bigass Mercedes logo there

You mean must have BEEN a happy sponsor? They got a ton of extra television exposure to that mercedes symbol during the power outage
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

said by pflog:

said by HiVolt:

said by Rook008:

You mean must have BEEN a happy sponsor? They got a ton of extra television exposure to that mercedes symbol during the power outage

I doubt they are happy about it. I laughed at the sight of the logo in the dark too. The MB product brand is associated with a laughing stock power outage. Not exactly what executives lay awake at night hoping for.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by drslash:

I doubt they are happy about it. I laughed at the sight of the logo in the dark too. The MB product brand is associated with a laughing stock power outage. Not exactly what executives lay awake at night hoping for.

I think it's reading way too much into it. Everyone I was watching with just noticed their logo and we all shared the same sentiment "wow, free advertising". To go a step further and somehow associate Mercedes, a car company, with the power outage is just not something I imagine the average Mercedes would-be buyer was thinking. *shrug*
--

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

said by pflog:

said by drslash:

I think it's reading way too much into it. Everyone I was watching with just noticed their logo and we all shared the same sentiment "wow, free advertising". To go a step further and somehow associate Mercedes, a car company, with the power outage is just not something I imagine the average Mercedes would-be buyer was thinking. *shrug*

TV announcers were saying Mercedes-Benz Super Dome every 2 minutes. There was plenty of positive advertising. Seeing the logo in the dark would not be classified as positive in any book. Broken stadium with MB logo is not, in any stretch of the imagination, something MB hoped for or wanted.

It's just my opinion. If I was an MB marketing exec I wouldn't be giddy about it *shrug*
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to J E F F

I came away with it like this: power outage at the Mercedez-Benz SuperDome disrupts SuperBowl for 35 minutes.

Come on, you can build a great car but can't keep the lights on?
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to drslash

I doubt it matters to their bottom line either way, so this is a pointless argument.
--

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

Yes there is a point...broken stadium with MB logo on it. MB is not happy.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

1 recommendation

said by drslash:

Yes there is a point...broken stadium with MB logo on it. MB is not happy.

Ok, we'll see when Mercedes' quarterly results are massively impacted.

And as this is a matter of opinion, at this point I'll leave you with this:

I'm done, you can argue with someone else.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
Marion, IA

The point is that a large sum of money was spent by MB for the naming rights. The marketing money comes from the top line which affects the bottom line. If corporations thought like you then no corporations would pay for naming rights because it won't affect their bottom line. Corporations are smarter than you and therefore shell the money out because they get a return on the investment. MB and the Superdome agree to display the logo a certain way on the outside of the stadium and on the inside of the stadium. The amount of money is in the millions. The logos inside and outside are supposed to represent the prestige and quality of the MB brand. It's foolish to think that the logo shown in the dark is something MB is glad about.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

Even with the terrible tragedy of the power disruption I'm not switching my choice from the MB E63 to a BMW 5 or BMW 6 or Audi 8, or a Porsche Panamerica.

I guess that means I have to favor pflog's perspective on this call.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

Seeing the Mercedes logo in a browned-out stadium will not keep me from buying a Mercedes.

Of course, seeing their logo in a fully lit stadium won't nudge me into buying one, either.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5

On the other hand, seeing the Mercedes logo won't stop me from buying another one. But it doesn't necessarily make me want to go out and get another one.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

join:2013-01-28
reply to J E F F

That logo makes me want one!

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Voxxjin

said by Voxxjin:

How embarassing for the Super Dome. That was the biggest choke of the night. Well next to the 49ers comeback.

AS it turns out, the electric provider caused the problem by using equipment installed to prevent problems. The Switch failed.

»www.washingtonpost.com/business/···ory.html

The failure of a device meant to protect the power supply to the Superdome caused the Super Bowl blackout, the stadium’s power company said Friday as it took the blame for the outage that brought the game to a halt for more than a half-hour.

Officials of Entergy New Orleans, a subsidiary of New Orleans-based Entergy Corp., said the device, called a relay, had been installed to protect the Superdome from a cable failure between the company’s incoming power line and lines that run into the stadium.

Company officials said the device performed without problem during January’s Sugar Bowl and other earlier events.

They said the device has been removed and replacement equipment will be installed.

Officials of the power company and from SMG, the company that manages the stadium for the state, had said earlier this week that they believed the problem originated in the switching gear, which is housed in a building known as “the vault” near the stadium. The Superdome has a direct line feeding from a nearby Entergy power substation. Once the line reaches the vault, it splits into two cables that then go into the Superdome.

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to drslash

The Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class was the number one considered model on Edmunds on Super Bowl Sunday and the following Monday.

The CLA-Class recorded a lift of 20,710 percent on Edmunds — the highest since Edmunds began tracking ad performance. Even though the CLA's baseline started low, the huge lift for the CLA resulted in 7,600 incremental shoppers. The Mercedes-Benz C-Class continues to draft off the CLA's success with a 50 percent lift on Monday.

The commercial is approaching 6 million views on YouTube as of Thursday morning.

Edmunds says: The 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class commercial for the 2013 Super Bowl is one for the record books.

I doubt they care what caused the outage and have to agree that it was positive and thats all they cared about.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

Hey, this is a "Sports Forum" and posts that are written with rational reasoning and contain uncontested facts are not permitted.

Knock it off.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

AS it turns out, the electric provider caused the problem by using equipment installed to prevent problems. The Switch failed.

Now I find that amusing
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to rody_44

said by rody_44:

The commercial is approaching 6 million views on YouTube as of Thursday morning.

Edmunds says: The 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class commercial for the 2013 Super Bowl is one for the record books.

I don't even remember a mercedes commercial
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

The CLA commercial was great. I know it's a young person's car, but it was making me want to go buy one. It still does.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to Voxxjin

I dont remember it either. I think they said the commercial was delayed until after the lights went back on. I was sleeping by then along with half the other viewers.