Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka

Re: catalytic converter? P0240

said by Cho Baka:

That is a funny list. I googled it, and in the first hit it seems to have been posted in the comments on an Amazon sale for an O2 sensor.

The second link, »www.obd-codes.com/p0420 , has these 2 gems:
"Overall probably the biggest mistake vehicles owners make when they have a P0420 code is to simply replace an oxygen sensor (H02S). It is important to do proper diagnosis so you're not wasting money replacing parts unnecessarily.

We strongly recommend that if you need to replace the catalytic converter that you replace it with an OEM unit."

Go ahead and replace that sensor if you want. It isn't my money you are burning.

Thanks the light went off, after I smacked the catalytic converter, with a rubber mallet.
saved $1400 doing that. 150miles+ no light

Now I have to deal with the thermostat... since it's overheating now, to keep it under the 1/2 point I drove it 150 miles with the heater on and windows & moon roof open)

coolent is full maybe it has some air in the system or thermostat is failing ?

yes it has coolant in it

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

Hmmm.... a clogged cat can also cause excessive back-pressure which can lead to overheating.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

3 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by rockotman:

Hmmm.... a clogged cat can also cause excessive back-pressure which can lead to overheating.

100% "clear" air comes from the tail pipe. a lot of it
before I was getting 22-23mpg highway

Now gas mileage shot up was getting 35MPG (300miles round trip total) (computer claimed 45MPG average though.)
80 to 99 (inst mpg)

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

Hmmm .. p0420 and a rough idle.
»03 impala idle issues
2 + 2 = 4

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

that was the fuel regulator

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

said by Anonymous_:

That killed the cat.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

said by Anonymous_:

That killed the cat.

I thought curiosity killed the cat.

I mentioned a failed cat that I experienced above. The dealer service manager at the dealer thought that a failed ignition module that I had experienced a few months earlier which turned my 4-cylinder into a 2-cylinder on Christmas day the previous year may have lead to my premature cat failure.

As I loaded the family into the car on Christmas day to go visit relatives, the car ran extremely rough, so I parked it and we all jumped into my son's Scion to go visit family. I can tell you that 6'1" does not fit well in the back of a tC.

Anyway, the next day I dropped my "2-cylinder" off at the dealer (1 mile from the house) to get it fixed under warranty. It was, as I suspected, the ignition module. It was dumping raw fuel into the exhaust for only about the 5 or 10 minutes it took to get to the dealer. But the following March, the cat failed.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by rockotman:

said by Cho Baka:

said by Anonymous_:

That killed the cat.

I thought curiosity killed the cat.

I mentioned a failed cat that I experienced above. The dealer service manager at the dealer thought that a failed ignition module that I had experienced a few months earlier which turned my 4-cylinder into a 2-cylinder on Christmas day the previous year may have lead to my premature cat failure.

As I loaded the family into the car on Christmas day to go visit relatives, the car ran extremely rough, so I parked it and we all jumped into my son's Scion to go visit family. I can tell you that 6'1" does not fit well in the back of a tC.

Anyway, the next day I dropped my "2-cylinder" off at the dealer (1 mile from the house) to get it fixed under warranty. It was, as I suspected, the ignition module. It was dumping raw fuel into the exhaust for only about the 5 or 10 minutes it took to get to the dealer. But the following March, the cat failed.

replaced the radiator cap as it had caked on dirt preventing it from working correctly. I got a thermostat as well but I have not installed it Only got it because they only had a few left in stock.

coolant is clean so it does not need to be changed

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74

Premium Member

What does the radiator cap have to do with the issue at hand? A good cleaning of it would have been fine rather than replacing it.

And you bought a thermostat just because they only had a few left in stock? You realize places like rockauto.com are cheaper and ship to your door, yes? Why buy something when you don't need it?

For someone who complains so much about how the car "costs you too much" (other thread), you sure do love throwing needless money at it.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by Gordo74:

What does the radiator cap have to do with the issue at hand? A good cleaning of it would have been fine rather than replacing it.

And you bought a thermostat just because they only had a few left in stock? You realize places like rockauto.com are cheaper and ship to your door, yes? Why buy something when you don't need it?

For someone who complains so much about how the car "costs you too much" (other thread), you sure do love throwing needless money at it.

Thermostat is going to be returned as the new cap fixed the issue.
If you see the rubber seal is torn and cracked .
That probably means it has a poor seal on it.

Car sits at the under the middle line even with the a/c on full blast.

Yes rocketauto is great but if you need the item by tomorrow it will cost the same or more to get it.
Expand your moderator at work