uniqs
share rss forum feed

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Screen saver photos, photo gallery?

Click for full size
I wanted to update this thread, with something I noticed about the install of "Windows Essentials 2012".

I noticed something odd in another post when I made a screen shot of the "Programs and Features" list inside of Control Panel.

One of the items I noticed was "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]".

For me, this last test of Windows 8 was done on 01/22/2013, and all of my programs listed have that date. Yet, this had an install date of 01/27/2013. Since I had no idea what I installed on that date, I sorted the list by Installed On, and got my answer!

Why would Windows Essentials 2012 need SQL Server? Sure its not really big now, but what kind of information is Microsoft "collecting" that they need a whole SQL Server DB?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I have Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition [ENU] but it was not installed by Windows Essentials. DELL installed it at the factory. The installation date is Nov 14 2012. I received the machine the next day.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

I'm one who likes to test things, and see if they break! So, I opened up "Photo Gallery" and verified that it was working without any issues.

I then went and removed "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition [ENU]" from my computer.

Sure enough, it was "Windows Essentials 2012" that installed it. Once removed, I tried to launch "Photo Gallery" again, and got the above error message shown in #1.

If I click on "Cancel" I get the box shown in #2.

So, for whatever reason, Photo Gallery needs SQL Server. I did try "Movie Maker" and it loads without problems, so it must not need SQL Server.

Makes you wonder what inside of Photo Gallery requires a SQL Server database?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail