DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to koira

to koira

Re: Family of smokers very expensive for Sunwing flight

said by koira:

Airline overacted. Really no need to divert. They should have continued and just fined them heavily.

Perfect storm. Idiot, combative passengers forced the landing then the flight crew bumped up on the Hours of Service law, requiring a 12 hour rest before continuing; shorter than it would have taken to find a fly a new crew in from Toronto.

As aircraft are now all non-smoking and their ventilation systems are tuned that way (and aircraft are highly tuned systems), a mechanic from the airline had to be brought in to check for damage. And because the perps were uncooperative, the plane had to be searched for other contraband.

I hope charges are laid and the arrogant idiots who did it are on the No Fly list for a long time.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to koira

Premium Member

to koira
said by koira:

Airline overacted. Really no need to divert. They should have continued and just fined them heavily.

Well, since they wouldn't disclose what they did with the butt's, or if there was more smokes onboard; the airline didn't have much option...

A fire, even a smoldering one, at altitude, rarely ends well for anyone on board...

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

I hope charges are laid and the arrogant idiots who did it are on the No Fly list for a long time.

Something I hadn't considered. 100% on side with this idea. Plus financial penalties to compensate all parties.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to Gone

to Gone
Continental (United) ?

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

The A320 on the flight there was also a hell of a lot quieter in the cabin than the 737-800 on the way back, too. That, and they provided us with free movies and TV on the A320, whereas on the 737 we got... to pay $8 for Direct TV. Wonderful.

The joys of flying a post-merger airline (assuming United-Continental?)

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to koira

Premium Member

to koira
said by koira:

I believe Canadian regulations made it necessary to land at the nearest airport. Personally I would not have landed when dropping (literally) them off over Bermuda.

Cigarettes or cigarettes butts were not accounted for and thus pose a potential hazard and thus by refusing to state what they had done with them, only complicated matters and in of itself is a flight hazard.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

On board smouldering fire would get out of hand quick. I do know there is fire suppression systems in aircraft lavatories as a result of 797 and other mishaps.

However the captain would divert, no one wants to deal with a fire when there is nothing but water below.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

The joys of flying a post-merger airline (assuming United-Continental?)

Ding ding ding ding.

To quote my father-in-law, "Never again."

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Airlines I'll always fly

Jetblue, Southwest, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet

Never again

AC, American, United, Transat

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Southwest has dicked my FIL a few times in the past, but next year when I head south I'll pay more for a direct Southwest BUF-LAS flight rather than the ordeal that was United on the way back.

I didn't even mention how we got stuck on the tarmac in Newark for an hour packed into a sardine can Embraer 145 because someone overfilled the plane and it needed to be drained.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

I flew the SW BUF-LAS this last summer. Packed flight but no interruptions, I don't expect frills on SW just prompt efficient service.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

Never again

I hear so many people say that about Transat yet I have flown them
at least 6-8 times and never had a problem.

FaxCap

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to koira

to koira
said by koira:

Airline overacted. Really no need to divert.

Canadian air transport regulations required that they divert (at least the article said).

Note the same as a pilot making his own call.

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to FaxCap

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

said by I_H8_Spam:

Never again

I hear so many people say that about Transat yet I have flown them
at least 6-8 times and never had a problem.

FaxCap

Twice over the pond,

'99 - First delayed for hours at Gatwick as we were returned to gate for an computer error.

'05 - Delayed, then an incredible hot flight for hours, felt really stuffy, hostess was quite snippy on being asked for water. Effected about 20 rows in the middle of the plane, landed in YYZ finally fully drenched in sweat.

Oi
@bellaliant.net

Oi to jaberi

Anon

to jaberi
The flight crew could not locate the cigarette butts in the washroom and the offenders were not willing to cooperate. Were the butts smoldering in the waste bin? The crew made the right decision by diverting to Bermuda.
In situations such as this, Canadian transport regulations requires the aircraft to land at the nearest available airport, which happened to be Bermuda.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

1 edit

corster to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
It's far too easy to have a bad experience with an airline.

They're generally all the same... I go by price first and foremost, i'll pay a slight premium for an airline with larger seat pitch or for a direct flight, or for a southern connection point during winter... last consideration on my list is which airline flies the plane.

Domestically, I generally fly WestJet - their customer service is better than AC, but I can't tell you how many times my YOW-YYZ flights have been delayed when the Air Canada flights get out on time. Now I will book Air Canada on this route instead if the price is similar.

Only perk of flying WestJet on YOW-YYZ is the 50% off coupons you get automatically if your flight is more than 30 minutes late. I have quite a collection of them now

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

Should have learned the old smoker's trick and brought 2 patches each - one for the trip out, one for the trip back
Viper359
Premium Member
join:2006-09-17
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

Viper359

Premium Member

Couldn't agree more. I use the gum, and it works perfect, short haul, long haul etc. I love smoking, what can I say, but, when I cannot, and I just have that craving, the gum works awesome.

However, what do I know, I am a conscious of others smoker. I don't smoke around people, who aren't smoking, I don't throw my filter on the ground, I field strip it, and toss it in the garbage.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
On top of fines and flight bans they should be forced to successfully complete a smoking cessation and report to a parole officer for next two years to monitor.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav

Premium Member

said by koira:

On top of fines and flight bans they should be forced to successfully complete a smoking cessation and report to a parole officer for next two years to monitor.

Your not going far enough. I think they should be forced to answer the question of if they will plan on smoking in the car when their 20 years son/daughter is in the car (and the 20 year old as well). If the lie detector confirms they will, then the 20 year old is sterilized. Damn our Charter, not allowed to be proactive on anything.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

Airlines I'll always fly

Jetblue, Southwest, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet

Never again

Considering my very low air mile count....I've never had a problem with AC. And consider the price I paid to go to vegas (Return $598 all taxes in...from Sudbury, not Toronto) it was pretty good overall, flight coming back was delayed, but that's because it was delayed in Toronto...weather related I believe that day so out of airlines control.

Got free movies/tv shows on the AC flight too...bought the crummy headphones but hey at $3.25 it wasn't too bad for the flight there and back...and then I forgot them in my hoodie and they got washed...oh well memories...

I guess since its my only viable option out of Sudbury I don't rail against AC like others do? lol...flew on one of their "Express" planes on the way down (not on the way back) and flight wasn't full so they asked 2 people to move to adjust the planes "ballast" I thought that was hilarious....it was a Q400 or Dash8-400 on the way down...A321 to LAS, which was tiny compared to the 747 that left the gate used for a flight to Heathrow about 4 hours before my flight left. Probably that same A321 back...and crammed into a Dash8-100 with a guy who brought along his ipad for a 50 minute flight...oh well some people .

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
I've got a good number of miles on my suitcase... I'm in no danger of getting my name on plane or anything, but have done a fair bit more travelling then most; mainly for work.

I've never had a problem with AC. United's been great, love WestJet. Didn't enjoy SouthWest at all...

Anyone
@onavo.com

Anyone to koira

Anon

to koira
My question is, how are going to get back to Halifax now that no other airline would be willing to fly them !! Are they going to have to take a boat ? ... Preferably during storm season.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

(Return $598 all taxes in...from Sudbury, not Toronto)

I got two return tickets and a week at a hotel... for $588. Add on the rental car and I was still less than $700.

Flying out of Buffalo makes a gigantic difference.
Gone

Gone to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

United's been great

That's the shame of it all, because the flight and crew on the way there were fantastic. The way back? Not so much.

LazMan
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

You're absolutely right, the crew can make all the difference...

I took a "Ted" flight from Oklahoma City to Denver a few years back; the crew was unbelievable... They were fantastic!

I generally like the WestJet crews - seem to be more laid back, and having fun, or at least faking it enough for me not the care...

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium Member
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 edit

ArthurS to Anyone

Premium Member

to Anyone
said by Anyone :

My question is, how are going to get back to Halifax now that no other airline would be willing to fly them !! Are they going to have to take a boat ? ... Preferably during storm season.

I'm sure they'll find an airline to fly them back, at their expense, but it certainly will not be Sunwing. The bigger problem for them is the legal issues of being allowed off the island due to the charges against them. They may have to post a large bail to ensure they will come back to face the court, otherwise they are on the island for an *extended* "vacation."

This can prove to be *very* costly...legal fees to hire lawyers, court costs, unplanned last minute one-way airfare back home, accommodations while they are forced to stay in Bermuda, accommodations they lost at their original destination, possible loss of job back home due to extended absence, a likely lawsuit by Sunwing for the unplanned stop (which could be tens of thousands of dollars alone), class action suit brought by fellow passengers for the lost holiday, and on and on. All because they couldn't wait to smoke until they arrived at their destination, and their lack of cooperation when they got caught. Twits.

Edit: Looks like the court was pretty lenient on them. However their troubles have just begun with a planned lawsuit against them:
»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/n ··· urt.html
ArthurS

ArthurS to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by LazMan:

United's been great

That's the shame of it all, because the flight and crew on the way there were fantastic. The way back? Not so much.

United lately has been a mixed bag due to their merger. I used to fly them almost exclusively all of the world, now I'll only fly them when it's convenient to do so. With the exception of Virgin America, Jet Blue, and WestJet, most North American airlines are very poor with the quality of their service.

Also consider that the crew on red-eye flights in North America are usually bottom rung on the seniority list, so definitely the quality isn't there, with any airline. I'm sure you would have a different experience had you taken the morning flight home.

Thingamajig
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
B.C.

Thingamajig to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
As long as we're comparing airlines, Chile's Lan Airline impressed the hell out of me. Easily the best airline I've encountered for a flying experience. Eleven hour flight seemed like two.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to ArthurS

Premium Member

to ArthurS
Our flight there was an "evening" flight that departed from Cleveland at 7PM. It was still great, and the crew seemed a lot more experienced. They joked with each other, chatted up the passengers, gave away more free booze to people than I could keep track of and overall were a delight to deal with. The flight deck was also in constant communication with us throughout the flight.

One thing that really turned me off on the way back was that when landing some guy had a bag on his seat and one of the flight attendants found it and said it needed to be stowed. The guy was obviously a little miffed because he was there during takeoff and the entire time. The flight attendant got outright rude with the guy, blamed his college for not stowing it to begin with, and then after he had to make room in the overhead he visibly rolled his eyes and huffed for the rest of the passengers to see. Not professional at all. Add this to not being able to hear announcements due to mumbling, no communication at all from the flight deck (and a seatbelt light staying on the entire time) and being completely ignored as far as drinks went - outright asking for something, making eye contact and then just having them ignore you and walk past - and it was a flight from hell.

On the connecting flight from Newark to Buffalo the flight attendant had to fight with a lot of people to turn off their phones and iPods. One guy got pissy because he thought airplane mode was good enough. In that case, she got frustrated and not-quite-shouted, literally, "come on guys! It's for our safety!" and shook her head. I sympathized with her, and for the rest of the flight she was great.