Sudbury, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam

Re: Family of smokers very expensive for Sunwing flight

said by I_H8_Spam:

Airlines I'll always fly

Jetblue, Southwest, Virgin Atlantic, Westjet

Never again

AC, American, United, Transat

Considering my very low air mile count....I've never had a problem with AC. And consider the price I paid to go to vegas (Return $598 all taxes in...from Sudbury, not Toronto) it was pretty good overall, flight coming back was delayed, but that's because it was delayed in Toronto...weather related I believe that day so out of airlines control.

Got free movies/tv shows on the AC flight too...bought the crummy headphones but hey at $3.25 it wasn't too bad for the flight there and back...and then I forgot them in my hoodie and they got washed...oh well memories...

I guess since its my only viable option out of Sudbury I don't rail against AC like others do? lol...flew on one of their "Express" planes on the way down (not on the way back) and flight wasn't full so they asked 2 people to move to adjust the planes "ballast" I thought that was hilarious....it was a Q400 or Dash8-400 on the way down...A321 to LAS, which was tiny compared to the 747 that left the gate used for a flight to Heathrow about 4 hours before my flight left. Probably that same A321 back...and crammed into a Dash8-100 with a guy who brought along his ipad for a 50 minute flight...oh well some people .

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to jaberi

I've got a good number of miles on my suitcase... I'm in no danger of getting my name on plane or anything, but have done a fair bit more travelling then most; mainly for work.

I've never had a problem with AC. United's been great, love WestJet. Didn't enjoy SouthWest at all...

Anyone

@onavo.com
reply to koira

My question is, how are going to get back to Halifax now that no other airline would be willing to fly them !! Are they going to have to take a boat ? ... Preferably during storm season.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to nitzguy

said by nitzguy:

(Return $598 all taxes in...from Sudbury, not Toronto)

I got two return tickets and a week at a hotel... for $588. Add on the rental car and I was still less than $700.

Flying out of Buffalo makes a gigantic difference.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to LazMan

said by LazMan:

United's been great

That's the shame of it all, because the flight and crew on the way there were fantastic. The way back? Not so much.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

You're absolutely right, the crew can make all the difference...

I took a "Ted" flight from Oklahoma City to Denver a few years back; the crew was unbelievable... They were fantastic!

I generally like the WestJet crews - seem to be more laid back, and having fun, or at least faking it enough for me not the care...

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 edit
reply to Anyone

said by Anyone :

My question is, how are going to get back to Halifax now that no other airline would be willing to fly them !! Are they going to have to take a boat ? ... Preferably during storm season.

I'm sure they'll find an airline to fly them back, at their expense, but it certainly will not be Sunwing. The bigger problem for them is the legal issues of being allowed off the island due to the charges against them. They may have to post a large bail to ensure they will come back to face the court, otherwise they are on the island for an *extended* "vacation."

This can prove to be *very* costly...legal fees to hire lawyers, court costs, unplanned last minute one-way airfare back home, accommodations while they are forced to stay in Bermuda, accommodations they lost at their original destination, possible loss of job back home due to extended absence, a likely lawsuit by Sunwing for the unplanned stop (which could be tens of thousands of dollars alone), class action suit brought by fellow passengers for the lost holiday, and on and on. All because they couldn't wait to smoke until they arrived at their destination, and their lack of cooperation when they got caught. Twits.

Edit: Looks like the court was pretty lenient on them. However their troubles have just begun with a planned lawsuit against them:
»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot···urt.html

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by LazMan:

United's been great

That's the shame of it all, because the flight and crew on the way there were fantastic. The way back? Not so much.

United lately has been a mixed bag due to their merger. I used to fly them almost exclusively all of the world, now I'll only fly them when it's convenient to do so. With the exception of Virgin America, Jet Blue, and WestJet, most North American airlines are very poor with the quality of their service.

Also consider that the crew on red-eye flights in North America are usually bottom rung on the seniority list, so definitely the quality isn't there, with any airline. I'm sure you would have a different experience had you taken the morning flight home.

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to jaberi

As long as we're comparing airlines, Chile's Lan Airline impressed the hell out of me. Easily the best airline I've encountered for a flying experience. Eleven hour flight seemed like two.
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to ArthurS

Our flight there was an "evening" flight that departed from Cleveland at 7PM. It was still great, and the crew seemed a lot more experienced. They joked with each other, chatted up the passengers, gave away more free booze to people than I could keep track of and overall were a delight to deal with. The flight deck was also in constant communication with us throughout the flight.

One thing that really turned me off on the way back was that when landing some guy had a bag on his seat and one of the flight attendants found it and said it needed to be stowed. The guy was obviously a little miffed because he was there during takeoff and the entire time. The flight attendant got outright rude with the guy, blamed his college for not stowing it to begin with, and then after he had to make room in the overhead he visibly rolled his eyes and huffed for the rest of the passengers to see. Not professional at all. Add this to not being able to hear announcements due to mumbling, no communication at all from the flight deck (and a seatbelt light staying on the entire time) and being completely ignored as far as drinks went - outright asking for something, making eye contact and then just having them ignore you and walk past - and it was a flight from hell.

On the connecting flight from Newark to Buffalo the flight attendant had to fight with a lot of people to turn off their phones and iPods. One guy got pissy because he thought airplane mode was good enough. In that case, she got frustrated and not-quite-shouted, literally, "come on guys! It's for our safety!" and shook her head. I sympathized with her, and for the rest of the flight she was great.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

said by nitzguy:

(Return $598 all taxes in...from Sudbury, not Toronto)

I got two return tickets and a week at a hotel... for $588. Add on the rental car and I was still less than $700.

Flying out of Buffalo makes a gigantic difference.

Well, for me, not so much, consider the potential 6 hour drive ahead of me....I looked at it and on paper I guess it wasn't worth the difference...also would have cut down on my stay there as I needed to be back to work that Monday night...and couldn't have swung it to be back in time then....

But yes for you guys down there, it makes much more sense IMO.

ArthurS
Premium
Hamilton, ON

2 edits
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

One thing that really turned me off on the way back was that when landing some guy had a bag on his seat and one of the flight attendants found it and said it needed to be stowed. The guy was obviously a little miffed because he was there during takeoff and the entire time. The flight attendant got outright rude with the guy, blamed his college for not stowing it to begin with, and then after he had to make room in the overhead he visibly rolled his eyes and huffed for the rest of the passengers to see. Not professional at all. Add this to not being able to hear announcements due to mumbling, no communication at all from the flight deck (and a seatbelt light staying on the entire time) and being completely ignored as far as drinks went - outright asking for something, making eye contact and then just having them ignore you and walk past - and it was a flight from hell.

Yep, sounds like a redeye flight that could have happened on just about any airline in North America!
I do a few redeyes each year, each one I have very low expectations for service unless I'm upgraded to the first class cabin (even then, I don't expect much other than a more comfortable seat), so I don't end up being disappointed. A few things to make it as painless as possible: Find the longest redeye route home, because shorter redeye flights don't have enough time to get a decent sleep. Buy yourself a bottle of water at the airport, that way you don't have to wait for it during the flight, and it's convenient to have when you wake up. Use earplugs and an eyemask, as soon as the plane is airborne, go to sleep. Get a window seat even if you have to sit at the back of the plane, that way you are not interrupted when a fellow passenger needs to get up. But don't get a window exit row seat unless you can put up with the cold air around the exit door seals. Flying is certainly not as fun as it used to be, and the penny pinching most airlines have ended up doing these past few years has made it even worse.

vue666
Small block Chevies rule
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1
reply to jaberi

Sunwing is considering legal action against these smokers...

»www.news957.com/2013/02/04/sunwi···-flight/

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1
reply to jaberi

What year do these clowns think it is?

Smoking on a plane hasn't been allowed for how long?

I would have stuffed their cigarettes down their throats.....fucking retards.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

Thingamajig
Premium
join:2004-11-03
B.C.
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

Link has video of the alleged perps...
»www.ctvnews.ca/canada/sunwing-to···.1142237
--
Some hero's wear capes, mine wear combat boots.

jaberi

join:2010-08-13

$500 fine for husband and wife...to be paid immediately so as not to end up in jail for 10 days...

i asked this question early on, does anyone have a clue if another airline such as air canada will refuse to fly them home?

the jet was overweight and laden with fuel did the pilot in this case drop fuel prior to landing?

and obviously bermuda will charge sunwing an airport landing fee

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

said by jaberi:

the jet was overweight and laden with fuel did the pilot in this case drop fuel prior to landing?

Sounds like no, as I read they sent a mechanic whose job it was to evaluate the plane after the overweight landing. The only thing Sunwing could possibly have done to mitigate the damage was fly another crew down. However, that might not have been possible. (ie. people not available at short notice)

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to jaberi

CTV Posted a big story about it to, but the link to CBC's site which ArthurS posted is probably the best:

»www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot···urt.html

quote:
McWilliams estimates that the cost of diverting the flight could be as much as $50,000. He said those costs include:

Landing fees at Bermuda airport.
Flying a mechanic to Bermuda to examine the aircraft for defects (standard operating procedure for overweight planes.)
Cost to hire crew to search plane for cigarette butts to make sure they were extinguished.
Accommodations for passengers and crew overnight in Bermuda.
Accommodations for passengers scheduled to fly home from the Dominican Republic on the diverted plane.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to jaberi

Froom this story on cbc.ca :

Daryl McWilliams, vice-president of media relations with Sunwing, told CBC News that the airline plans to sue the family of four that was involved in Friday's incident, and added that costs are approaching $50,000.

That bill includes having to put up the passengers and seven crew members in a hotel overnight, and paying a different crew to search the plane for extinguished cigarettes.

The airline also had to send a mechanic to inspect the plane because it had too much fuel onboard and landed overweight, triggering a requirement under Canadian transport regulations, McWilliams said.

The plane was scheduled to pick up passengers in the DR who also had to be put up in hotels overnight Friday.

I hope Sunwing does sue them for it, and that they win. If it causes hardship for the family, that's the price to be paid for knowingly doing something wrong. It might also make someone else think twice before they decide that rules don't apply to them because they find them inconvenient.

Honestly, when I first read about this incident, I shook my head and thought "the culture of entitlement never fails to astound me".
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to jaberi

Stupid addicts, they really could not wait longer? All of them? These people were obviously assholes before they got on the plane.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

said by donoreo:

Stupid addicts, they really could not wait longer? All of them? These people were obviously assholes before they got on the plane.

If alcohol was involved, it can turn a mild jerk into a very big asshole very quickly.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to jaberi

There might be some sympathy for them if it was just one infraction. Guy couldn't resist, weak will, started smoking. All the belligerence and non-cooperation afterwards (like refusing to say where they put the butts) eliminates any sympathy entirely.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

said by Guspaz:

There might be some sympathy for them if it was just one infraction. Guy couldn't resist, weak will, started smoking. All the belligerence and non-cooperation afterwards (like refusing to say where they put the butts) eliminates any sympathy entirely.

Perhaps from some, but I doubt the sympathy would be widespread. If someone smokes so much that they can't go ~5 hours (time through security and on flight) without a cigarette, they shouldn't be putting themselves in that situation. They could have slapped on a patch or taken some gum/spray to get a nicotine hit if they were that addicted, but they didn't.

To me, this isn't about "couldn't resist, weak will", it's about the arrogant MFFY (Me First, F*** You) attitude of people who decide they're going to do what they want even though they've been told it's wrong because they just don't care about anyone other than themselves.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

FaxCap

join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC
reply to jaberi

I hope Sunwing sues and wins. These idiots deserve to pay for all the
trouble they caused.

FaxCap

horsey

@eastlink.ca
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

»www.news957.com/2013/02/04/sunwi···-flight/

From link ...the smoking charges were drooped. So now we have 3 Capers Behaving badly on an air plane?

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Kardinal

said by Kardinal:

said by Guspaz:

Perhaps from some, but I doubt the sympathy would be widespread. If someone smokes so much that they can't go ~5 hours (time through security and on flight) without a cigarette, they shouldn't be putting themselves in that situation. They could have slapped on a patch or taken some gum/spray to get a nicotine hit if they were that addicted, but they didn't.

To me, this isn't about "couldn't resist, weak will", it's about the arrogant MFFY (Me First, F*** You) attitude of people who decide they're going to do what they want even though they've been told it's wrong because they just don't care about anyone other than themselves.

That is exactly what is it, MFFY. Will they learn a lesson? Not likely.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Southwest has dicked my FIL a few times in the past, but next year when I head south I'll pay more for a direct Southwest BUF-LAS flight rather than the ordeal that was United on the way back.

I didn't even mention how we got stuck on the tarmac in Newark for an hour packed into a sardine can Embraer 145 because someone overfilled the plane and it needed to be drained.

I hate anything Embraer with a passion. When they load me onto a Bombardier jet I feel like I'm in heaven by comparison.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

said by Last Parade:

said by Gone:

Southwest has dicked my FIL a few times in the past, but next year when I head south I'll pay more for a direct Southwest BUF-LAS flight rather than the ordeal that was United on the way back.

I didn't even mention how we got stuck on the tarmac in Newark for an hour packed into a sardine can Embraer 145 because someone overfilled the plane and it needed to be drained.

I hate anything Embraer with a passion. When they load me onto a Bombardier jet I feel like I'm in heaven by comparison.

What's wrong with Embraer? It's a respectable company, such that even Air Canada has them as regional airplane commuters.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Last Parade

said by Last Parade:

I suspect that the experience on an Embraer 17x/19x is a *lot* better than on a ERJ.

It's funny you say this though, because I have a friend who feels the complete opposite and hates CRJs with a passion.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

I suspect that the experience on an Embraer 17x/19x is a *lot* better than on a ERJ.

It's funny you say this though, because I have a friend who feels the complete opposite and hates CRJs with a passion.

I've enjoyed flights on AC's Embraer jets (I think I was on a 175, but I can't be sure), and as for CRJs it depends on who the carrier is. I didn't mind the AC ones I've been on, but the seats on a United-liveried aircraft were just brutal...to the point where I wasn't sure I'd be able to stand after the flight. Fortunately, I had a long walk at O'Hare to catch my connecting flight to work out the backache.
--

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix