Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: An incumbent that actually lowers prices

said by MaynardKrebs:

BT cuts the price of high speed broadband
»www.theinquirer.net/inqu ··· roadband

UK INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (ISP) BT is rolling out a high speed broadband service called Totally Unlimited Broadband, which offers unlimited internet usage at lower prices.

BT said the service will be free from traffic management and starts from £16 a month for 16Mbit/s copper broadband, £23 for the 38Mbit/s Infinity package or £26 for the highest speed 76Mbit/s Infinity service.

"Previously, the cheapest way for BT broadband customers to go unlimited was by taking a £26 ($40.64 CAD) a month option," the provider said.

BT will also offer the first six months free for new customers of the service, though this offer won't be available for those signing up to the cheapest package.

-----
This in a country whose prices are typically at least double Canada's (in Canadian dollar terms) for just about everything.

Tell me you didn't say that the UK is an Internet pioneer....

This coming from the same company "BT Telecom, or British Telecom, or whatever they are called", who charged you PER MINUTE FOR LOCAL CALLS....

Here's the #1 issue. In terms of a landline phone service, Canada has one of the lowest prices if not the lowest for POTS service in the entire world.

So yeah, if you want your phone with a per minute charge, UK is where its at....forget that.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

With a 76Mbps connection for $6/month, I wouldn't have POTS service anyway.

random
@teksavvy.com

random to nitzguy

Anon

to nitzguy
>In terms of a landline phone service, Canada has one of the lowest prices if not the lowest for POTS service in the entire world.

That statement is false. Don't make up claims without looking up facts to back it up.
»www.pccwshop.com/onlines ··· en&id=4&

Monthly rental: HK$110.00 (110 HKD=14.15123 CAD)
sunnyd71
join:2004-05-22
l7z2t4

sunnyd71 to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Tell me you didn't say that the UK is an Internet pioneer....

This coming from the same company "BT Telecom, or British Telecom, or whatever they are called", who charged you PER MINUTE FOR LOCAL CALLS....

Here's the #1 issue. In terms of a landline phone service, Canada has one of the lowest prices if not the lowest for POTS service in the entire world.

So yeah, if you want your phone with a per minute charge, UK is where its at....forget that.

Phone service in the UK works very differently then here. Here the caller pays the full cost for the call where there, the caller and receiver pay a portion each. Lately, as internet prices dropped, so did POTS and unlimited local calls is now standard and for a very low price. £20 a month you can get phone and internet service uncapped at decent speeds. £35 a month you can also add a good tv package to that. I hope competition can drive down prices here too.

Also important is BT says they are happy with this setup now although they fought it at first. They said they are making strong profit and have happy customers since the regulators imposed functional separation.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to random

to random
said by random :

>In terms of a landline phone service, Canada has one of the lowest prices if not the lowest for POTS service in the entire world.

That statement is false. Don't make up claims without looking up facts to back it up.

and the average household income is $2400/month.... with housing taking up probably half of that if not more..... It's not as simple as converting dollar amounts.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to random

Premium Member

to random
said by random :

You're cherry-picking. Dollar for dollar, across the majority of Canada, the POTS service is the LOWEST in the entire world...

That's one of the reasons why companies in Canada claim that they couldn't expand networks was because the low return on investment, CRTC regulation, etc...nobody wants to thank the CRTC for having such low POTS service prices to begin with...

Can I get that price anywhere in China? (that's right, Hong Kong ceased to exist as its own territory/country in 1997).

And what can I get for $1300/month just in rent in Hong Kong? That's right, about a 500 sq ft apartment....

So, again...as others have said, compare apples to apples, I still stand with Canada has the LOWEST Pots service prices on the planet...and that's a fact.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by nitzguy:

And what can I get for $1300/month just in rent in Hong Kong? That's right, about a 500 sq ft apartment....

You can't equate Sudbury's Greater Sudbury (2011 census population 160,274) rental market with that of Hong Kong (7,071,600 - 2011**), or Toronto, where $1300 for 500 sq. ft. (or thereabouts) is not uncommon.

And that too a fact.

** »data.worldbank.org/indic ··· id=GPD_1