spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jayfaas

@98.124.90.x

Computer randomly rebooting

I currently have an Intel Core2Quad Q6600@2.40GHz with 4.0GB of G.Skill RAM, a WD Raptor 10,000rpm hdd, and a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 EPS512 PSU. The GPU is an XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512. For some reason I am getting random reboots and I cant find out whats bad. The HDD came from the last build I had and I just swapped it into this one and its been fine, but one day my computer just started randomly rebooting and I get no message. I turned off the "Automatic restart" in the control panel settings and it doesnt even give me a BSOD. I checked event viewer and got nothing. There is no trigger as well, although it seems to do it more when im playing Counter-Strike(i know its old). I dont think its a heat issue because I grabbed one of the garage fans and have it blowing right into the case and it doesnt seem to help. Sometimes it will reboot as soon as I get into the game and other times it will let me play a few rounds and then reboot. I did notice that if I run prime95 on the blended test or the large FFT test it reboots immediately, but if I run the small one I can run it with no errors. How can I troubleshoot this properly so I will know which component to replace? I already tried a new PSU and it had the same problem. Put one RAM stick in at a time, made sure and cleaned off all heatsinks, cpu and gpu are running at good temps, system is not overclocked...ran crystal disk on the hard drive and it said it was healthy, ran memtest for a couple hours with no problem, took out the sound card. My only guess right now is that its the motherboard, but how can I be absolutely certain?

bevills1

join:2006-05-29
Reviews:
·Charter
Once I had random reboots that was caused by insufficient video memory for the video card, and replacing the video card fixed the problem. Your cause might be something else and not video memory, but you may want to check if video memory meets system requirements.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to Jayfaas
»s5-us3.ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg/···c00706df
You might want to check out the varied reasons this could be happening. There are many. I would be suspicious of a virus, but it could be something else completely.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

Jayfaas9

join:2002-04-25
Goose Creek, SC
Well I wouldnt think it was the GPU since it has 512MB of memory which was alot 4-5 years ago when I bought it. Even playing Counter-Strike:Source it reboots. I've checked GPU temps and they are fine. I didnt think it was the GPU when I ran Prime95 test in Windows with no games running and it immediately rebooted.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
I didn't say what it was...only that there are many reasons it could be. You might want to check out »Security Cleanup and follow instructions there. I would still be suspicious of a virus.

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to Jayfaas
If you're not getting a BSOD, and thus a logged event, then you're losing power. The PSUs you tested with, are they new? Does the board you're using have integrated graphics? If so, try running your benchmarks without the video card, that or try another card if you can. Trying to eliminate an extra power draw....

Also, look on the motherboard for ANY swollen/corroded/leaking capacitors. If you see bulging on any of them, then your issue will likely be there.

Jayfaas9

Goose Creek, SC
reply to jaykaykay
Well I wouldnt think it was the GPU since it has 512MB of memory which was alot 4-5 years ago when I bought it. Even playing Counter-Strike:Source it reboots. I've checked GPU temps and they are fine. I didnt think it was the GPU when I ran Prime95 test in Windows with no games running and it immediately rebooted.

Jayfaas9

Goose Creek, SC
reply to Jayfaas
The board does not have integrated graphics. The PSU I tested with was a Thermaltake 600W that I bought brand new from Best Buy. Hooked it up and it let me play for a few minutes and did the same thing. Rebooted, played a few more minutes, rebooted again. I boxed it up and took it back to Best Buy. If it were a virus, what kind of virus would immediately reboot the computer everytime the Prime95 test is activated? I also switched wall outlets but I had the computer at another house when it was doing the same thing so I dont think that is the problem either. I guess I will have to look for leaking or bulging capacitors.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Jayfaas
You may want to go try the Best Buy trick with a new video card.

Excellent excuse to upgrade anyway.

Jayfaas9

Goose Creek, SC
reply to Jayfaas
I havent actually thought about what Vid card I was going to get. Here soon I will be upgrading my CPU/Mobo/RAM/HDD/Vid Card. Just havent gotten around to looking up stuff yet.

Jayfaas9

Goose Creek, SC
reply to Jayfaas
any other ideas?

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Jayfaas
boost the cpu, ram, and chipset voltages.
Not a lot, just 5 to 10% should do it.

The q6600 chips like to use lots of power and some mainboards don't quite supply enough.

I have a q6600 that is overclocked and it was not completely stable till I boosted the chipset and ram voltages just a tad and this was even before I overclocked it.

Jayfaas9

Goose Creek, SC
reply to Jayfaas
Even if I dont have it oc'd? I put all the BIOS settings to stock.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Jayfaas
There's only a couple things left you haven't checked and it looks to me like that's the CPU, motherboard, and video card. The video card is the easiest thing to try and why I suggested the Best Buy trick earlier.

The only other thing is to go through your cables maybe and make sure everything is still connected properly. Long shot if you haven't been in there doing anything though. Another option, depending on how painful it might be would be to reload windows. It's probably a hardware thing though.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
said by Dissembled:

There's only a couple things left you haven't checked and it looks to me like that's the CPU, motherboard, and video card. The video card is the easiest thing to try and why I suggested the Best Buy trick earlier.

The only other thing is to go through your cables maybe and make sure everything is still connected properly. Long shot if you haven't been in there doing anything though. Another option, depending on how painful it might be would be to reload windows. It's probably a hardware thing though.

Or it could be something like what happened to me. Good luck figuring that out these days, as so many PSUs use black plastic on all their connectors.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

caps620

join:2009-01-18
Central NJ
sorry duplicate post

caps620

join:2009-01-18
Central NJ
reply to Jayfaas
Pop out the RAM and re-install. I had a similar problem and this solved it after ruling out all other possibilities such as a bad PS, virus, connector etc. etc.

Morris0

join:2011-05-14
kudos:1
reply to Jayfaas
»www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Use this to see if it's hardware of software and if software what software