Search similar:

uniqs

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

[HomeSecurity] Norton Internet Security.

Has anyone else downloaded the New Norton from Comcast? before it was 360v6
I got a new computer and down loaded version 20.2.0.19 from Comcast.
Every morning I get an error 8506.421 where I lose all the functions in Norton until I reboot the computer, then everything comes back to normal. I have to do that every morning.
I called support and let the tech get into my computer and watched her clean out everything that had to do with Norton and install a patch that was supposed to fix the problem, but didn't.
I normally don't turn my computer off every night, but do now because I don't know if the security is working or not while that error is there.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Wayne99021:

Has anyone else downloaded the New Norton from Comcast? before it was 360v6
I got a new computer and down loaded version 20.2.0.19 from Comcast.
Every morning I get an error 8506.421 where I lose all the functions in Norton until I reboot the computer, then everything comes back to normal. I have to do that every morning.
I called support and let the tech get into my computer and watched her clean out everything that had to do with Norton and install a patch that was supposed to fix the problem, but didn't.
I normally don't turn my computer off every night, but do now because I don't know if the security is working or not while that error is there.

Yes, I tried the new version, and you are lucky that all it does is clobber itself. I had two Windows XP workstations that would crash several times per day after that version got installed. When I tried to reinstall the older version, it installed, but it would not activate. I have now switched to MSE combined with ThreatFire for all of my Windows boxes (and of course the Windows firewall). That combination works quite well, and I doubt that I will bother to even try Norton/Symantec again (although I am technically using Symantec since they recently bought the company that marketed ThreatFire).
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
Anyone that installs ANYTHING that has the Norton name on it is just foolish.

It is the biggest resource hog ever written and BUGGY to no end. Any product from Norton.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I've had their Norton since getting service a few months ago(I didn't have any paid AV since I just had their free versions). I hadn't had any issues with it at all since getting it. It doesn't even use 1% of my CPU or will I be able to tell if it's running background tasks. When looking at my list of memory using programs, Norton is near the bottom with programs such as Akamai running idle. It also used less than Avast did during the free trial of their Internet security version.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

1 recommendation

owlyn to Shootist

MVM

to Shootist
said by Shootist:

It is the biggest resource hog ever written and BUGGY to no end. Any product from Norton.

That statement has not been correct since 2009. The products were rebuilt from the ground up for the 2009 version. It is one of the least resource-intensive anti-malware programs there is. You don't even know it is on your machine and running unless it finds a problem. I have 20.2.0.19 running my Windows 64 machine with no problems.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
I have ver. 20.2.0.19 installed on Windows 7 64bit, and it works without any issues, and has a very light footprint.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to Wayne99021

MVM

to Wayne99021
Even though it's free I wouldn't touch it.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to Ripper

Premium Member

to Ripper
I too am using Windows 7 64bit.
I looked on a couple Norton forums and a lot of people are having the same problem with this version, not only Comcast users.
Symantec is working on a fix, but no ETA.
Netfixer: Thanks for that info. I am removing Norton for now and will use MSE and Threatfire until Norton can get the problem resolved.
I have used Norton for many years without any problems and like it, so I will give it another try when Symantec gets it fixed.
As for resources, the newer versions of Norton uses very few and a lot less than some of the other brands out there.
Wayne99021

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Looks like Norton has fixed the problem with version 20.2.0.19 that Comcast uses.
I was going to remove Norton, but decided to wait a little longer, glad I did.
One the updates included a patch and now everything is working fine.

gHiDoRa
join:2002-08-05
Memphis, TN

gHiDoRa to graysonf

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Even though it's free I wouldn't touch it.

can you tell us why?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Major Bloatware, from past experience.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

said by graysonf:

Major Bloatware, from past experience.

"past"; and that's where it ends.

backfeed
is giving feedback
join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN

backfeed to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
I remember how ground breaking Norton Commander was in the Dos days. (or early windows, yeah I am that old ) It was the best utilities I had used, then there was other great Norton Utilities, for me it all changed after Symantec got hold of them. I tried a couple of the AV products over time, but I stopped even paying attention several years ago.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

I remember those days too. That's when I started using Norton and like you I stopped using it until 360 came out a few years back. Been using it ever since and it just keeps getting better.
It has a lot of features and has a very light foot print that uses very few resources.
I was really glad when Comcast picked it up and gave it to us free, saved me about $50.00 a year.

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

NoOneCares to backfeed

to backfeed
said by backfeed:

I remember how ground breaking Norton Commander was in the Dos days. (or early windows, yeah I am that old ) It was the best utilities I had used, then there was other great Norton Utilities, for me it all changed after Symantec got hold of them. I tried a couple of the AV products over time, but I stopped even paying attention several years ago.

My favorite was Central Point's PC Tools! Now that was great DOS utilities! Or Copy2PC which could copy even the "protected" Lotus 1-2-3 floppies!

To get back on topic I've quit installing Norton as I was always having to go to a website and enter a PIN number every few weeks on my PCs so I've quit using when I updated my PCs to Windows 8.

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

said by NoOneCares:

said by backfeed:

My favorite was Central Point's PC Tools! Now that was great DOS utilities! Or Copy2PC which could copy even the "protected" Lotus 1-2-3 floppies!

To get back on topic I've quit installing Norton as I was always having to go to a website and enter a PIN number every few weeks on my PCs so I've quit using when I updated my PCs to Windows 8.

Yeah, PC Tools was the greatest. I still have some Central Point 3.5" install disks.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
I am behind an Apple Extreme with WPA2 enabled and working on a MacBook with the firewall on. Should I take a chance on the Comcast Norton package or look for something different that does not use up system resources? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thx..

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Norton isn't going to use up the resources unless your MacBook already is using too much of its resources.

backfeed
is giving feedback
join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN

backfeed to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
I might have to give it a try on one of my machines and see. I have one that is not "mission critical" so no biggy if I have to take it back of... Thanks for the update...

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

beerbum to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
said by Shootist:

That attitude is so 2005.. for example..

standard Norton Internet Security (ver. 20.2.1.22):

Firefox 18.0.2 with one single tab/page open (to post this)

Norton a resource hog? No, not really. Hasn't been the case (for me at least) since around 2009/10..

kawciousss
@telus.net

kawciousss to Wayne99021

Anon

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

So did you do due diligence and have the Comcast 'tech' send you their Microsoft certified qualifications for working on Windows systems?

These scam artists isp tech support agents will deny any responsibility for trashing your computer or maliciously deleting files and then deleting the contents of your trash bin.
With Norton and issues, I've had to go into the registry to cautiously delete lines that the uninstaller or updater chokes on resulting in failure of parts of the program..

Sorry, but I hate it when users will openly allow 'unknown qualifications' people to muck about. Its why the scammers from India find it so easy to dupe people with cold calls for access.

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to Wayne99021

to Wayne99021
Think I'll stay away from it.

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to kawciousss

Premium Member

to kawciousss
First of all, I have seen that argument many, many times, but can't find one person who has had it done have any problems.
Second. To my knowledge it wasn't a Comcast tech who was in my computer, it was a Norton tech who they transferred me to. Did they have a Microsoft A+ certification, I don't have a clue and don't care as long as my computer wasn't bricked.
I watched her and didn't see one thing out of the ordinary, she just did it a hell of a lot faster than I could.
Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one. mine being if I call a tech support number and the tech has to get into my computer, I will let them. It's not like they are some shadowy figure in a dark ally trying to screw me over. I called them!

owlyn
MVM
Newtown, PA

owlyn to kawciousss

MVM

to kawciousss
Microsoft A+ Certification only means they passed a test- it doesn't mean they know anything.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 edits

EG to Wayne99021

Premium Member

to Wayne99021
said by Wayne99021:

Opinions are like ass holes, everybody has one.

Allow me to finish that comment for you !

"And they all STINK" !!! LOLLLLL

Wayne99021
Premium Member
Mead, WA

Wayne99021

Premium Member

Thanks EG. And I agree!