Premium Member
join:2010-11-09
Bethlehem, PA

shawnyerkes

Premium Member

Re: [Connectivity] Connectivity / Speed issues / Bethlehem PA

Click for full size
speedtest midnight 2-4-13
So a tech came out 2-1 @ 8:45AM. At that time, my speeds were great. I explained it is during peak times and he didn't seem surprised. He said this was an issue before less than a year ago and they ended up splitting the head-end into 2(south side bethlehem), and thinks they will need to do it again. He also mentioned that in the last 2 weeks he has been getting more of these calls. He has on-time and professional, impressed he didn't fight me at all. Also said, if we want this fixed......open tickets with RCN.

So I was getting ~70 at 08:45AM and now ~4 at 00:00.

I don't know any other way to prove it gets this slow.
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

Hey Shawn, I don't know if you saw it I had responded with something about your connection in one of the other threads you were in...

"
Shawn: I still have to look into yours I believe you are on the same leg as some of the university dorms so usage in this area tends to be really high. While weve got equipment on order and have been waiting on delivery for a bit now Im trying to see what we can do in the interim.
"

So that said, we've got equipment on order and this is one of the locations that we want to hit. There is a *TON* of bandwidth going into this area actually more than any other location in the company but they are just eating it up.

shawnyerkes
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA

shawnyerkes

Premium Member

Thanks Bryan, I did miss that message. I was working last night till 3:39AM and everything dropped for about 20 minutes.

I know the dorms use the Lehigh network, but there is a bunch of students in appts. It seems mainly after 7PM-7AM that I get 25 or less. The high latency and packet loss is when I drop VPN. My Shoretel phone drops, I can't work

I'm glad you are getting more gear in, this seemed to happen about a year ago too for 2 months.

Please let me know when the upgrade is scheduled. Everytime this dropped for a long period I need to get in a car and drive to our Bethlehem COLO to work. PITA

Make it easier on yourself, give all students a 10% RCN discount, and CAP their monthly bandwidth to 200GB. If you are moving more than that and also a student, it is not all legal traffic.

Or make a student deal but only on the 25M plan. On second thought it is not their money, a discount would do nothing.

Upgrade Sir!
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

negativeduck

Premium Member

said by shawnyerkes:

Or make a student deal but only on the 25M plan. On second thought it is not their money, a discount would do nothing.

Upgrade Sir!

I just spit out my coffee.... almost

shawnyerkes
Premium Member
Bethlehem, PA

shawnyerkes

Premium Member

Just a quick update....Yesterday and today the packet loss & speed become unusable.

I know hardware upgrades take a bit of time, but do you have any ETA?

Also on another note, I find it odd that I can access RFC1918 addresses. e.g.: I thought I was connected via VPN, and I was troubleshooting an issue by pinging to 10.20.1.2 and after I did a traceroute I was still on the RCN network. After another minute or two I could see a ton of data I won't expect would be accessible from the CE. Did someone drop an ACL or is this normal?

Thanks,
Shawn
shawnyerkes

shawnyerkes

Premium Member

Click for full size
Bryan, this appears to be more than just a South Side Bethlehem issue.

See:
[Connectivity] Issues in PA
[Connectivity] Unstable latency in Easton/Bethlehem PA
[Connectivity] Speed Issues Easton PA

I'm getting 5-15 percent packet drops after 8PM.

I know you understand the problem but when is there going to be a remedy? We are all paying for this service and this is a chronic issue (daily) I know you are not the cause of my problem but what would you do? I don't want to be a PITA but don't you feel this is a major issue?

Whose attention do I need to get? Just let me know who to call / speak with.

Thanks Bryan,
Shawn Yerkes