Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Foggy

Re: [BC] Today - usage cut in half - 28 Days Later a $5 increase

Honestly, cost of living in a whole keeps going up a consistent rate. Wages however, don't seem to be increasing to keep up with the increase of living. Slowly we really are becoming to have less in the bank after bills.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by rustydusty:

Honestly, cost of living in a whole keeps going up a consistent rate. Wages however, don't seem to be increasing to keep up with the increase of living. Slowly we really are becoming to have less in the bank after bills.

I would imagine the TV industry is going to go through some massive changes in the next 10 years (or face some pretty serious problems).

I've posted it before but the price increases on TV aren't only from your provider. Because ratings are down, Ad revenue is down. To make up for it channels are charging higher carriage fees (the fees your provider has to pay for permission to air the channel). They also negotiate stuff carriage terms. IE to have this awesome channel you have to bundle it with these crappy channels, so we can collected carriage fees on all of the channels.

Ad's used to bring in huge revenue and they're now trying to pass it on to the subscriber. It's going to be a downward spiral. The more they increase fees, the more people will cut the cord and seek internet alternatives, and they'll have to raise fees even more.

I would imagine at some point the TV industry is going to have to adjust. IE trim the fat. 200 channels isn't really cost effective when most people have 20 or less that the watch with any kind of regularity. People will only pay for TV drowning in commercials for so long.

Either the TV industry adapts, or everything moves online, making the Internet bill the sole source of revenue for providers.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC
I have to agree with you because more and more I use internet .
There are too many channels on TV with many we pay for and never watch.
As you say 'TV industry will have to adjust'