uniqs
share rss forum feed

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Wayne99021

Re: [HomeSecurity] Norton Internet Security.

Anyone that installs ANYTHING that has the Norton name on it is just foolish.

It is the biggest resource hog ever written and BUGGY to no end. Any product from Norton.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Darknessfall

join:2012-08-17
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

I've had their Norton since getting service a few months ago(I didn't have any paid AV since I just had their free versions). I hadn't had any issues with it at all since getting it. It doesn't even use 1% of my CPU or will I be able to tell if it's running background tasks. When looking at my list of memory using programs, Norton is near the bottom with programs such as Akamai running idle. It also used less than Avast did during the free trial of their Internet security version.

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

It is the biggest resource hog ever written and BUGGY to no end. Any product from Norton.

That statement has not been correct since 2009. The products were rebuilt from the ground up for the 2009 version. It is one of the least resource-intensive anti-malware programs there is. You don't even know it is on your machine and running unless it finds a problem. I have 20.2.0.19 running my Windows 64 machine with no problems.

Ripper
Premium
join:2002-02-07
West Palm Beach, FL
reply to Shootist

I have ver. 20.2.0.19 installed on Windows 7 64bit, and it works without any issues, and has a very light footprint.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

I too am using Windows 7 64bit.
I looked on a couple Norton forums and a lot of people are having the same problem with this version, not only Comcast users.
Symantec is working on a fix, but no ETA.
Netfixer: Thanks for that info. I am removing Norton for now and will use MSE and Threatfire until Norton can get the problem resolved.
I have used Norton for many years without any problems and like it, so I will give it another try when Symantec gets it fixed.
As for resources, the newer versions of Norton uses very few and a lot less than some of the other brands out there.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Looks like Norton has fixed the problem with version 20.2.0.19 that Comcast uses.
I was going to remove Norton, but decided to wait a little longer, glad I did.
One the updates included a patch and now everything is working fine.

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Shootist

said by Shootist:

That attitude is so 2005.. for example..

standard Norton Internet Security (ver. 20.2.1.22):

Firefox 18.0.2 with one single tab/page open (to post this)

Norton a resource hog? No, not really. Hasn't been the case (for me at least) since around 2009/10..