uniqs
share rss forum feed

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

[Rant] Math, lacking at Tim Horton's

So this morning I was off to an early start. Too lazy (hung) to make coffee at time I visited old faithful Tim's.

Ordered a coffee/strudel $1.76, drove up had $1.75 (no penny) asked if they are rounding since penny is gone. Guy gave me a confused look and said they've been told to take them, but cannot give change in pennies.

So I rummage around find a nickel, and asked how am I getting my 4 cents change back if there is no penny. Guy gave me another confused look, like the concept of change is foreign; then gave me my change 10 cents....

I guess you get what you pay for
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16

If I understand you correctly you gave him a total of $1.80 and then he gave you back a dime ?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Total was 1.76 - I mentioned rounding down to 1.75 due to no penny and the whole BOC change. Confused teenager blank look.

Didn't want to argue over a penny, gave $1.80, got $0.10 given change.
--

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium

Sounds like he is hung over worse than you are

Clipper

join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam

I bought something for $4.87 today at tim's. I gave them a $5. I got a dime back. Drove away from the window because I was in a hurry, then thought, hrm, where's my pennies? Then I assumed they had started removing the penny... then I was confused as to why I got a dime instead of $0.15.

Who wants to bet that many retailers will always round up in an effort to boost profits, knowing many people will be too embarrassed to ask for their extra 2 cents from the round down?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4

So can one infer that if one support the maple leafs they are apt to quibble about a few cents and not tip? I think the term is cheapSkates... or in this case cheapLoserneverwinastanleycupandtakeitoutontimhortonminimumwageworkerSkates.

Note:. This morning I finally started using the xmas timmies cards I received. I asked the girl how much was left on the card and she said its at the bottom of the receipt. Hmmm, she had her glasses on but I didnt. I suppose she didnt know that I cant see sheite well small print anyway, but thats the decreasing level of service one gets these days.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2
reply to Clipper

It's actually a confusing situation here. Many people will be rounding the CHANGE instead of the original amount, and accidentally get it backwards. Just point the mistake out to the merchant. The honest ones will realize their mistake, apologise, and give you back what you're owed.

But if any merchant even dares to try and use this period of confusion as a way to make a bit of extra cash, they need to be denounced immediately. Any merchant who's willing to cheat you out of a couple of cents on a sale will be more than willing to cheat you out of a whole lot more.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

BASIL

@telus.net

All cash purchases made without exact change will be rounded up to the nearest nickel. -Tim Hortons on Campus

slivers

join:2009-08-28
Canada

said by BASIL :

All cash purchases made without exact change will be rounded up to the nearest nickel. -Tim Hortons on Campus

I just don't understand... since were getting rid of the penny why not also get rid of prices like X.X9 that would result the need of a penny?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Because taxes will screw that up in the end anyway.

Only real solution is to have the prices set to already rounded amounts and taxes included... but that won't be fair to merchants. Figuring out the prices and setting up a proper budget while including taxes and other extra fees just adds extra work for nothing.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to BASIL

said by BASIL :

Really! So Tim's is using this to make a few extra cents profit per item. In a volume operation that should add nicely to the bottom line.
--

Perma

join:2011-12-20
reply to BASIL

Are they not supposed to round down at .6 and .7?

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

Australia where I've experienced this, it's accustomed to round down the 0.1, 0.2, 0.6, 0.7 endings.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to I_H8_Spam

The Tim Hortons I took the kids too had it outlined like this (at the drive-thru window):

Due to Bank of Canada changes...bla..bla..bla...

If purchase is:

1.78, 1.79, 1.81, or 1.82 it will be rounded to 1.80

If purchase is:

1.73, 1.74, 1.76 or 1.77 it will be rounded to 1.75

My guess it will take a few months for people to get used to it.

Will be happy now that my cup holder won't be full with 200 pennies every couple months. At least vending machines still take 5¢ coins, so I can get rid of most of them that way.

However, you have to wonder, did the Bank of Canada plan on having more dimes and nickels? Just wondering, because we're going to go through more of them.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC
reply to I_H8_Spam

The next few months will be fun. Who needs math, eh? We got calculators for that.

Perma

reply to I_H8_Spam

We should all message the big news outlets, Toronto Star, Globe and Mail, CBC, And let them know what Tim Horton 's is doing

Perma

reply to BASIL

Do they have this up on a sign? If so, can you take a picture?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to I_H8_Spam

Here is how they are suppose to do it:
»www.budget.gc.ca/2012/themes/theme2-eng.html

Rounding
Amounts ending in 1 cent and 2 cents are rounded down to the nearest 10 cents.

Amounts ending in 3 cents and 4 cents are rounded up to the nearest 5 cents.

Amounts ending in 6 cents and 7 cents are rounded down to the nearest 5 cents.

Amounts ending in 8 cents and 9 cents are rounded up to the nearest 10 cents.

Amounts ending in 0 cent and 5 cents remain unchanged.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to I_H8_Spam

I for one will be glad to get rid of the penny.

I for one will enjoy being in a long line watching the chaos.

What can I say, I listen to music on my headphones and only take them off when I actually NEED to hear what is being said TO me.

So standing in a line, full of people that either can't deal with it, or dealing with retail help that can't deal with it, or both, won't bother me much, as I will be intent on expending daylight if I am not at home to begin with.

I don't really mind standing in lines that much (due to how I am not in a hurry anyway).

If I can't afford 1.30 for my for my friggin Hot Chocolate at Tim's I wasn't able to afford the 1.26 either eh. I likely won't mind carrying a toonie a quarter and a nickel any more than a toonie a quarter and a penny.

It's 4 cents, and frankly I couldn't care less if retailers want to round up in their favour. If you can't afford the 4 cents get out of the line.

I'm thinking of taking my bag of pennies to the Tims and leaving them on the usual donation box there. I mean, I might have a whole Hot Chocolate in the bag, but, I simply don't care.

Bye penny, don't let the door hit yer ass on the way out.

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to milnoc

said by milnoc:

It's actually a confusing situation here. Many people will be rounding the CHANGE instead of the original amount, and accidentally get it backwards. Just point the mistake out to the merchant. The honest ones will realize their mistake, apologise, and give you back what you're owed.

In all fairness, the Government rounding guideline does mention rounding either the final purchase price or the change owed.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
Lachine, QC

That doesn't change anything for the amount though. Doesn't matter where you round it, the change ends up the same.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

bought a drink while at Ikea yesterday, which was $1...normally, this would be $1.07 with GST...instead, it was $1.05...woohoo, saved 2c.

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

Swedish rounding, swedish meatballs - seems fitting for Ikea

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

That doesn't change anything for the amount though. Doesn't matter where you round it, the change ends up the same.

Good point. Guess I need a math lesson too

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to I_H8_Spam

Home Depot is rounding down.
I said this would happen when we first discussed it, retailers will take advantage of the customer if they can.

You can bycott, but I seriously doubt enough will to affect the business.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:4
reply to I_H8_Spam

Making the combined gst + pst (or HST), a nice round 10% can only help calculations.

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Home Depot is rounding down.
I said this would happen when we first discussed it, retailers will take advantage of the customer if they can.

You can bycott, but I seriously doubt enough will to affect the business.

How is rounding down taking advantage of the customer,

I_H8_Spam

St Catharines, ON

I'm reading that as two separate thoughts.

HD is rounding down ie. Customer Friendly

others are rounding up. Customer Gouging

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to dirtyjeffer

said by dirtyjeffer:

bought a drink while at Ikea yesterday, which was $1...normally, this would be $1.07 with GST...instead, it was $1.05...woohoo, saved 2c.

did they charge you extra for the paper cup yet

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

no.