Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to corster

Premium Member

to corster

Re: [Rant] Math, lacking at Tim Horton's

That doesn't change anything for the amount though. Doesn't matter where you round it, the change ends up the same.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

bought a drink while at Ikea yesterday, which was $1...normally, this would be $1.07 with GST...instead, it was $1.05...woohoo, saved 2c.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Swedish rounding, swedish meatballs - seems fitting for Ikea

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

That doesn't change anything for the amount though. Doesn't matter where you round it, the change ends up the same.

Good point. Guess I need a math lesson too

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
Home Depot is rounding down.
I said this would happen when we first discussed it, retailers will take advantage of the customer if they can.

You can bycott, but I seriously doubt enough will to affect the business.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
Making the combined gst + pst (or HST), a nice round 10% can only help calculations.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Home Depot is rounding down.
I said this would happen when we first discussed it, retailers will take advantage of the customer if they can.

You can bycott, but I seriously doubt enough will to affect the business.

How is rounding down taking advantage of the customer,

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

I'm reading that as two separate thoughts.

HD is rounding down ie. Customer Friendly

others are rounding up. Customer Gouging

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

bought a drink while at Ikea yesterday, which was $1...normally, this would be $1.07 with GST...instead, it was $1.05...woohoo, saved 2c.

did they charge you extra for the paper cup yet

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

no.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

1 recommendation

HeadSpinning to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
So a Hot Dog & Pop at Costco, which used to be $1.58 will now be $1.60? The horror of it all!

reboot
@cogeco.net

reboot

Anon

And this is where Debit will win, no rounding, and no being shorted!

..and no waiting for them to calculate.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:

Total was 1.76 - I mentioned rounding down to 1.75 due to no penny and the whole BOC change. Confused teenager blank look.

Didn't want to argue over a penny, gave $1.80, got $0.10 given change.

Unless their store computer does it for them, I found most young people at retail stores are completely incompetent at doing even very basic math calculations.

Until they reprogram the computers with new prices and new tax calculations and new change calculations you will continue to see this mess.
FFH5

FFH5 to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
A poll taken about doing away with the penny says US residents think it is a good idea too.
»www.foxnews.com/us/2013/ ··· +Text%29

Citing the cost of producing the ubiquitous coins, Canada today moved to end production and ultimately retire the penny -- despite the estimated 6 billion in circulation.

Do you think the U.S. should follow suit and drop the 1 cent coin as well?
Thank you for voting!
Yes. 73.05% (507 votes)
No. 24.35% (169 votes)
Not sure 2.59% (18 votes)
Total Votes: 694

MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

So a Hot Dog & Pop at Costco, which used to be $1.58 will now be $1.60? The horror of it all!

If the extra $0.02 will keep people from swallowing all that sugar & mystery meat, I'm all for it.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

Unless their store computer does it for them, I found most young people at retail stores are completely incompetent at doing even very basic math calculations.

You can blame calculators for that. Just ask a young person to multiply two long numbers together. Chances are they can't do it.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by HeadSpinning:

If the extra $0.02 will keep people from swallowing all that sugar & mystery meat, I'm all for it.

You really want your property taxes going up once the humane society has lost a method of getting rid of stray cats?

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

said by FFH5:

A poll
»www.foxnews.com/

Lost me right there.
said by J E F F4:

You really want your property taxes going up once the humane society has lost a method of getting rid of stray cats?

That's why they were so tasty
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by HeadSpinning:

Ok, you've convinced me.
Anybody who eats that stuff is henceforth deemed to be a drain on society because it will cost a bloody fortune to have the paramedics haul their sorry asses to the hospital when they stroke out, the cost of their hospital stay (if they survive), and their ongoing treatment/monitoring if they do survive. Henceforth, all such people shall be euthanized as a preventative measure before they fall ill, such costs of euthanasia to be paid by the person's family for not breaking them of their anti-social habits.

Seems to have your thesis covered.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to I_H8_Spam

Premium Member

to I_H8_Spam
If it round down, pay with cash; otherwise pay with debit. (only work for unlimited free debit transactions)
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to reboot

to reboot
said by reboot :

And this is where Debit will win, no rounding, and no being shorted!

..and no waiting for them to calculate.

No the banks will win because if you were to suddenly go all debit transaction to avoid getting "penny screwed and wallet foolish" then you'd surely blow past the meager limited number of debit transactions you get, unless you fork over the monthly banking fees for the unlimited transaction option.

Frankly I can see the banks loving this, expect the banks to start tightening the screws on the monthly transaction limits on your accounts soon or "suggesting" you "upgrade" to an unlimited account.

NefCanuck

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i bank with PCF...i already get unlimited transactions with no fees.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

said by dirtyjeffer0:

i bank with PCF...i already get unlimited transactions with no fees.

Right now yes, but if everyone switched to debit, it'd be a nice little cash cow for the banks n'est pas?

In fact with the release of the new "sticky" polymer currency, I was joking with my mom on the phone that the government did this and killed the penny, to get everyone hooked on debit / credit as their only choices.

NefCanuck

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Think of the money the .gov saves when these people die before 65. No CPP, no Old Age Security and no Guaranteed Income Supplement if they qualified for little or no CPP.

That special taste the wieners have is from the catnip.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

Does anybody actually eat that crap??

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Every time I stop at a Costco, their food court is always full around here.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to I_H8_Spam

to I_H8_Spam
Math Lacking at Tim Hortons? ha thats putting it lightly. I walked into Timmies in my area picked up one of those 17 dollar Stainless steel refillable mugs from the shelf got in line to pay for it and the cashier only charged me the cost of a refill I didnt say a thing just walked out wondering if she was blind to barbecue it still had the tag on it.
slivers
join:2009-08-28
Canada

1 recommendation

slivers

So you shoplifted the item... Good Job! Her mistake, but theft is theft.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to DanteX

Premium Member

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

I walked into Timmies in my area picked up one of those 17 dollar Stainless steel refillable mugs from the shelf got in line to pay for it and the cashier only charged me the cost of a refill I didnt say a thing just walked out wondering if she was blind to barbecue it still had the tag on it.

Would be interesting to try that stunt in a store where the item has been planted with an EAS security tag and the alarm goes off at the door. The next stainless steel item you would see would be handcuffs.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

I am just waiting for tourism season and American yobbos claiming they didn't get the right change...