Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to Dennis

MVM

to Dennis

Re: Clogged kitchen drain, drain snake not permanently fixing...

Does the 23' run have adequate fall/pitch/slope ?
~ 1/4" per ft

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by Bubba:

~ 1/4" per ft

+1 on that. Nothing will clog a drain quicker than a local low spot.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

Click for full size
rough sketch
said by garys_2k:

said by Bubba:

~ 1/4" per ft

+1 on that. Nothing will clog a drain quicker than a local low spot.

Oh the slope on it is a joke I promise. And yeah it's 23 not thirty I must have been using government math when I came up with that.

The long run between the access point in the basement and the vertical drop is what I've talked about replacing. Only problem is that if the clog is indeed between the access point and the kitchen sink I'm back to square one.

Leaning towards clog hog at this point since $100 is still less than a plumber would charge me I'm sure even if I had everything ready to go.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by Dennis:

The long run between the access point in the basement and the vertical drop is what I've talked about replacing. Only problem is that if the clog is indeed between the access point and the kitchen sink I'm back to square one.

You did take apart the trap and look at it carefully? Its just compression fitting so no PVC work is involved. The trap can wind up with high density dirt/grit/metal shavings/sand, that will never wash out of the trap through gravity/poured water. No matter how much water you pour, the dirt will be picked up 1/2 an inch then sink through the water flow back to the bottom of the trap. A snake will never get this grit out.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

said by patcat88:

You did take apart the trap and look at it carefully? Its just compression fitting so no PVC work is involved.

Oh yeah,when I replaced the sink about 2 1/2 years ago I took everything apart and cleaned it (had to replace some of it but that's a different story about emergency plumbers).

»www.dennisjudd.com/?p=1509

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to Dennis

Mod

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

Leaning towards clog hog at this point since $100 is still less than a plumber would charge me I'm sure even if I had everything ready to go.

It is definitely worth it. One nice thing about it is if you have an extension hose for your pressure washer you can take it up on the roof (with the washer still on the ground) and clean any and all lines out through the vent pipes. The pipes will be totally clean when you are finished. Obviously, this pipe has to be done from inside, but once you see how well it works you will want to jet as much as you can get to. I see a lot more buildup these days than I used to. I think it's a combination of modern soaps and lower hot water settings. The ClogHog really gets the job done well and it is also easy to use. I also own a professional drain auger (Rigid with 100' 1/2" snake) and I now try my ClogHog before the auger. If I have to use the auger, I then use the ClogHog to finish the job and get the pipe really clean.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

said by patcat88:

You did take apart the trap and look at it carefully? Its just compression fitting so no PVC work is involved.

Oh yeah,when I replaced the sink about 2 1/2 years ago I took everything apart and cleaned it (had to replace some of it but that's a different story about emergency plumbers).

»www.dennisjudd.com/?p=1509

Ahhh, yes, the "Mother's Day Gift" that you got slack for until you explained she had been asking for a new one.