[NFL] The official 2013 NFL offseason discussion thread

The official 2013 NFL offseason discussion thread

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

The single biggest interest of the many I have for the off season is where is Alex Smith going to play next year. If he goes to a good team that would be a playoff contender with just the addition of a top flight QB he would fit that missing piece very nicely. He is a very good QB. The Niners would have done just as well and gone at least as far this year if they had stuck with him instead of switching Kaepernick.

If he goes to a real bad team or a team with a poor OL he will stink as would any good QB as they get knocked down or sacked on every play plus only having two seconds to set up and throw.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Moorecards

I feel it this year. Dallas COWBOYS!!!!

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Moorecards

I have a few concerns:

Jets: who will remain with the team? : Tebow, Revis, Cromartie, DeVito, Keller, Greene, etc.
Jets: Is Sanchez going to start playing like an NFL QB again?
Jets: how bad will they suck next season?

Giants: who will remain with the team?: Cruz, Osi, Hixon, Bennett, Beatty, Tynes, Phillips, Andre Brown, Stevie Brown, Blackburn, etc.
Giants: how good will they be next season?

Also, what will a cold weather SuperBowl look like?
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Moorecards

Not really reported nationally but the Rams won their arbitration case against the Edward Jones Dome. Either the city of St Louis comes up with 700 million in renovations for the dome, or the Rams walk away in 2015. Could mean they'll leave the city, or it could mean there's a new stadium about to be built somewhere else around town.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH
reply to Blogger

I wouldn't be surprised to see KC make a play for Smith. Reid needs a QB and he sure doesn't have one with the people he has now.
--
Team Discovery: Project Hope

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to footballdude

L.A. Rams?

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Badger3k

said by Badger3k:

I wouldn't be surprised to see KC make a play for Smith. Reid needs a QB and he sure doesn't have one with the people he has now.

Wouldn't that be a weird conversation with Reid and Kolb. "Hey there dude I traded away secretly knowing you sucked and got away with robbery."

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Rook008

said by Rook008:

I have a few concerns:

Jets: who will remain with the team? : Tebow, Revis, Cromartie, DeVito, Keller, Greene, etc.
Jets: Is Sanchez going to start playing like an NFL QB again?
Jets: how bad will they suck next season?

Giants: who will remain with the team?: Cruz, Osi, Hixon, Bennett, Beatty, Tynes, Phillips, Andre Brown, Stevie Brown, Blackburn, etc.
Giants: how good will they be next season?

Also, what will a cold weather SuperBowl look like?

My biggest concern is this... The Jets and The Giants meet in Superbowl XLVIII in the first cold-weather-city outdoor Superbowl, a Noreaster hits just before game time keeping most from making it to the stadium, no one watches but folks in the New York/New Jersey market, the half-time show featuring Nicki Minoj and the finalists from this year's American Idol draws so much power off of the grid that it causes a black-out that stretches from Nova Scotia to Minnesota, the NFL loses so much money as a result that they become financially crippled and fall prey to the lawyers filing lawsuits as a result of the blackout that the league folds, and Roger Goodell finds a way to blame James Harrison for it all.

That's my biggest concern.
--
Shine on you crazy diamond...

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Jets and Giants meet in the Superbowl and the world implodes next year.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

L.A. Rams?

I don't think any team is moving to LA anytime soon. The group that is building a stadium there is demanding 51% of any team that uses that stadium. I don't see any NFL owner moving there then giving up control of his team.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
reply to Moorecards

Michael Boley was released from the Giants.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Moorecards

Rob Ryan to be the Saints new D coordinator: »espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89194···-sources
--
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Fishead1

That sucks, but the Giants are $4.7 million over the cap for next year, Boley was going to make over $4 million, and they still have a bunch of free agents to re-sign.
--

Moorecards

join:2001-10-19
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Moorecards

New York Giants release Ahmad Bradshaw, Chris Canty

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000···is-canty

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

Impossible.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Moorecards

Michael Vick 6 yr deal replaced with a 1 yr deal

Michael Vick 6 yr deal replaced with a 1 yr deal for coming season. After 2013 he is free agent and will most likely be gone. It is still possible he could be traded this year as part of NFL draft maneuvers.

»espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89362···a-eagles
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

I have the feeling the Eagles will still suck.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

said by Rook008:

I have the feeling the Eagles will still suck.

If the Eagles get back to a .500 record this year, Chip Kelly will be hailed as a genius.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY

True, but I consider .500 in the NFC East to be sucky.

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Moorecards

Re: [NFL] The official 2013 NFL offseason discussion thread

Ravens have cap issues along with the prospect of paying a king's ransom for Flacco which, despite recent evidence, seems like too much. In my ideal world the guy would settle for, I don't know, $18.5m/year or something. But whatever I'm sure this will turn into a Flacco bashing thread now so I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

I don't think any athlete is worth $18 million a year.
Eli's not worth that (in my opinion) and he's won 2 SuperBowls now.

But Flacco did have a great season, after a few very good seasons, so they should pay the guy. Not Brady or Manning money, but they should pay the guy.
--

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM
reply to Edge1

said by Edge1:

Ravens have cap issues along with the prospect of paying a king's ransom for Flacco which, despite recent evidence, seems like too much. In my ideal world the guy would settle for, I don't know, $18.5m/year or something. But whatever I'm sure this will turn into a Flacco bashing thread now so I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

Please! Get that "everybody hates the Ravens" chip off of your shoulder already, will ya. No one is bashing Flacco. No one hates him except for a few stubborn Ratbird fans that don't realize what they've got.

Repeat after me:

"Everybody doesn't hate Flacco.
Everybody hates Brady.
Everybody doesn't hate Flacco.
Everybody hates Brady.
Everybody doesn't hate Flacco.
Everybody hates Brady."

Now take three deep breaths, relax, and enjoy your Superbowl victory.

'Cause next year, we're taking the division back!!!

--

Edge1
But these go to 11.
Premium
join:2006-03-01
USA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Nope I'm pretty sure everybody hates Joe. Everybody.

But they do hate Brady more!

Yeah, Rook its too much money, and its gonna cost us either Kruger or Ellerbe, or maybe even both unless we can get Khan to cook our books *nods toward Pittsburgh*

I know the Jets are in a bad way cap-wise. Cincy and the Browns though, they've got money to burn.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

So do the Dolphins.

rockotman
Emerging Research
DSotM

Rumor has it that Cleveland wants to spend some of the cap-room money to lure Mike Wallace to The Mistake by the Lake.

After his attitude and performance this past year, they are more than welcome to take him.
--

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to Moorecards

»sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd···nfl.html

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ

Man is Yao huge.
--

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to Moorecards

I'm still surprised the Giants cut Ahmad Bradshaw.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
Far Rockaway, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Time Warner Cable

You're not the only one.
Hopefully they can re-sign him for less money. I'd hate to see him playing for another team, even if it's the Jets.

PFF also has a pretty high opinion of his play: »www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20···g-backs/
--