uniqs
share rss forum feed

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

no prepaid on lte?

why not? why not let prepaid customers use the lte network?

podstolom

join:2010-01-25
Wichita, KS

1 recommendation

Because LTE is verizon's PREMIUM network, so they don't want the prepaid demographic on it, since that demographic is often "credit-challenged." This way, their 3G network remains "monetized" (I hate that word) during the transition to LTE, since that network is already paid for and entails less risk by offering it as prepaid.

By 2021 the 3G spectrum is supposed to be refarmed to LTE or whatever else is in place by then.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

That's precisely the assumption that allows these monopolistic carriers to get away with their rip-off pricing. That is, anyone who does not want to basically pay $90+ per month ($1.1K per year + handset every 2 years) is apparently "credit-challenged".

I could be worth $100 million yet I would still not pay $90+ for some shitty half-baked North American cell service. The pricing only serves to enrich the shareholders and c-level management, while they pay their workers peanuts and hire fools to provide useless CS.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·T-Mobile US
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

Verizon believes that prepaid subs are second-class citizens, and treats them as such.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to podstolom

said by podstolom:

Because LTE is verizon's PREMIUM network, so they don't want the prepaid demographic on it, since that demographic is often "credit-challenged." This way, their 3G network remains "monetized" (I hate that word) during the transition to LTE, since that network is already paid for and entails less risk by offering it as prepaid.

By 2021 the 3G spectrum is supposed to be refarmed to LTE or whatever else is in place by then.

Too bad the prepaid prices are nearly that of their premium ones..

Seriously, cell companies have just gotten too damn greedy... I'm a step from just saying "screw it" an going back to a plain ol trek phone. If they decide to destroy that to force us to their more profitable plans, I think i'll just go amish on the phone world...

creditworthy

@cox.net
reply to podstolom

Among my circles of friends who are by no means credit challenged, most have figured out that I was the smart one years ago when I dumped Verizon and went with prepaid with another carrier. So I know lots of wealthy people who have done the math like I did years ago and figured they were getting soaked for a phone... Every time someone I know mentions how they are getting shafted I tell them what I did and what I spend and they are following in my footsteps.

I spend on average less than $10 per month with prepaid. When I travel I swap my SIM over to my Android and pay $2-3 per day to have unlimited voice, text and more data than my handset can eat in one day for the mobile apps I might want to use since I am away from home and a PC.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to decifal

said by decifal:

Seriously, cell companies have just gotten too damn greedy... I'm a step from just saying "screw it" an going back to a plain ol trek phone. If they decide to destroy that to force us to their more profitable plans, I think i'll just go amish on the phone world...

I'm giving this serious consideration as well. I just can't bring myself to pay $199 or $299 for a PHONE. Esp. after the crap I went through with my Thunderbolt and now this almost-as-crappy Razr.

nonamesleft

join:2011-11-07
Manitowoc, WI
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Callcentric
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

said by ArrayList:

Verizon believes that prepaid subs are second-class citizens, and treats them as such.

Exactly! That's why the prepaids have such poor coverage.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to bobjohnson

I love that mentality. It reaffirms my believe that when they're busy trying to rub you the wrong way, the shaken feathers are actually falling off their scalp and not mine.

I've been a happy prepaid customer since November. People are stupid for still doing contracts.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to decifal

said by decifal:

I'm a step from just saying "screw it" an going back to a plain ol trek phone.

Already there. We switched to Straight Talk last year and never looked back. Their ST SIM card is definitely worth it.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to podstolom

What's funny is that, thanks to the iPad, you can still get LTE on prepaid. I wouldn't dream of signing a contract for $80+ per month with VZW, but I do like me some LTE.

My guess is that VZW will open up LTE to prepaid once they get AWS online. Right now they're having spectrum issues with LTE in some areas...apparently building a coverage-focused network when you should be building for capacity is a bad idea.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by iansltx:

apparently building a coverage-focused network when you should be building for capacity is a bad idea.

Why? It works great for (some) ISP's. You might have the best coverage but if the speeds are the same as (at times) 2G, what's the point?

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to nonamesleft

You can get VZW prepaid via Page Plus Cellular. You just don't get...you guessed it...LTE access.

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to bobjohnson

said by bobjohnson:

said by ArrayList:

Um, news-flash: prepaid customers are second-class citizens. Not only are we treated as such, but the American public likes it that way.

Those who are able, willing, or gullible enough to spend $120+/month on a "smart" phone plan on a what they perceive as the premier carrier, and commit to a 2-year contract, indeed are the most sought-after customers, so they're going to get the top tier service.

tphillips
Premium
join:2009-02-04
Apopka, FL
reply to Simba7

Ditto here. I moved to Virgin"Sprint" from Sprint and am loving the extra cash. I just could't do it anymore. My bill with my wife and three kids was pushing close to $300 per month. Now its $120 flat.

HotRodFoto
Premium
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO

Virgin here as well, love it! It's literally 1/3 of what I was paying.
--
Capturing the images of Colorado
»jdebordphoto.com

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to Simba7

Building for a cell radius of five miles...heck, three miles...in an area where nearly every point in that radius is developed is a recipe for disaster even for 10x10 LTE. Guess what Verizon has done, to my knowledge...

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to ArrayList

Our biggest hangup on the prepaid is the lack of hotspot/tethering available with it... I am dual purposing my phone subscription being we have no real land line options here... Less theres a reasonable prepaid where tethering/hotspot is available??

wkm001

join:2009-12-14
reply to iansltx

I used Page Plus for the past year. Unlimited talk and text with 2GB of data for $55. Same Verizon coverage, was really happy. But I couldn't use any new phones. I picked up a used GS3 and now use LTE. I have to admit, it is worth the monthly premium. It costs $150 for two lines with unlimited talk and text along with 4GB of shared data. Sadly having the GS3 and Verizon's LTE is worth $20 extra per phone, as compared to Page Plus. If you compare it to Verizon's prepaid plans it is about the same.

My Droid Incredible 2 was a great phone but the GS3 spanks it six ways to Sunday.

Expand your moderator at work

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT
reply to wkm001

Re: no prepaid on lte?

Yes, the SGS3 does, but I wouldn't want to pay $150/mo for 2 years. Heck, I could buy a pair of GSM SGS3s, throw a ST SIM card each one, and save (($150x24) - ($495x2x2) - ~$600x2 = $400).

I'm waiting for the SGS4 to officially come out in a few months.

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to decifal

said by decifal:

Too bad the prepaid prices are nearly that of their premium ones..

Verizon per-paid with 2 GB =$70
Verizon share Everything with 2 GB=$100

This is "almost the same"?

Any no one is forcing anyone to buy cell phone service. If Verizon is too pricy don't get it.

iansltx

Austin, TX
reply to Simba7

The catch with Straight Talk is that you don't get LTE there either. T-Mobile H+ comes close, but then you have to deal with a digital divide issue: if you can't get cable 'net at a location, you probably can't get 3G or better on T-Mobile either.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

Billings, MT

said by iansltx:

The catch with Straight Talk is that you don't get LTE there either. T-Mobile H+ comes close, but then you have to deal with a digital divide issue: if you can't get cable 'net at a location, you probably can't get 3G or better on T-Mobile either.

T-Mobile doesn't cover everywhere. Try getting a signal here.

I don't really care that ST doesn't have LTE. I use my phone to stream Rdio (HQ Streaming) and SSH/VPN into my home network. I rarely stream Netflix or do anything massively data intensive. Of course, it could be that ST eventually will throttle you if you use too much.

..but for $45/mo flat, it's better than VZ or at&t charging almost double then nail you for overages if you use more than you're supposed to. LTE is nice, but not worth it if they can't adjust caps with the speeds. Why utilize their "Premium Network" if you're stuck with a 2GB cap that can be eaten through in an hour or less?

..and the reason I want the SGS4 is not for the LTE, it's for everything else.
--
Bresnan 30M/5M | CenturyLink 5M/896K
MyWS[PnmIIX3@3.2G,8G RAM,500G+1.5T+2T HDDs,Win7]
WifeWS[A64@2G,2G RAM,120G HDD,Win7]
Router[2xP3@1G,2G RAM,18G HDD,Allied Telesyn AT2560FX,2xDigital DE504,Sun X1034A,2xSun X4444A,SMC 8432BTA,Gentoo]