spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BulldogzRUs
@air-worldwide.com

BulldogzRUs

Anon

[Northeast] spare Actiontec use?

I'm trying to figure out the easiest and least painful way to utilize a second Actiontec router I have. When I purchased a new N-router from Verizon I had the old one (it is wireless G, about 2 mos. old), sitting in a box and simply assumed I could have them enable ethernet on the ONT (located in basement), plug in that router and get great wireless reception for everything in my finished basement OR run CAT5 to each device (we are currently setup w/coax through Verizon) for even faster speeds. Does this screw up the onscreen menus, or other functionality of the main router? Or is there anything on the back of my cable box in the basement that would allow me to connect the 2nd router to enable it? It appears that my house is configured so that all coax drops are enable for cable...IF I have a spare drop in the basement could I then simply connect this router, and then have my devices connected to them?

Good Ol Dan
join:2000-05-15
The Villages, FL

Good Ol Dan

Verizon just sent me a new Rev I router, so I repurposed my old Rev D as a second wifi access point by disabling the WAN port, changing the LAN IP, etc. Works fine, and could be connected to the network via ethernet or coax. If I got another "old" Actiontec I could also use the pair of them to build a network bridge over cable with a 4-port switch at each end, too.

Dan

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to BulldogzRUs

MVM

to BulldogzRUs
said by BulldogzRUs :

I'm trying to figure out the easiest and least painful way to utilize a second Actiontec router I have.

»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?
said by BulldogzRUs :

simply assumed I could have them enable ethernet on the ONT (located in basement), plug in that router

Coax and cat5 connections to the ONT can not be active at the same time.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can coax and ethernet be active at the same time?
said by BulldogzRUs :

is there anything on the back of my cable box in the basement that would allow me to connect the 2nd router to enable it?

No.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Are the ethernet jacks & USB ports on my STB active?
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72 to BulldogzRUs

to BulldogzRUs
I have my ONT ethernet setup. You have to do separation of duties if this is going to work properly.

Out of the ONT I have, video/Moca LAN and IP/ethernet (internet as it were only).

So I use a cisco router (commercial) which plugs into the ONT/ethernet. INTERNET ONLY. You can plug your actiontec (spare one) in to do this, but DONT plug any coax in unless you know what you are doing. You can also use the wifi, just put it on a different channel as to not disturb your wireless N. Also, plug the actiontec into the WAN port, and then the LAN ports can go to other IP devices in the house.

Theoretically you can use the Moca port, but that is not easy, so I would KISS.

Now your NEW Actiontec will have active ethernet ports (LAN) and the Moca LAN signal which you want split out for the video feeds for the boxes. One of the LAN ports must feed into the actiontec/router so the moca traffic can talk to the headend.

If you want to keep the NEW box as the main router, then do the opposite.

You can also keep using the NEW box under Moca (it will use WAN Moca), and you can use the old box as a moca/LAN node or just as a gateway for wireless (again use different channel). You will need to disable a lot of services, DNS, DHCP, firewall, filtering, proxy so it just behaves like a wireless extender.

I HTH, there are many ways you can slice this. The easiest way to use the secondary is to treat is as a wireless extender, and you will need to uplink it to the main actiontec via moca LAN or Ethernet LAN and continue to use the new Actiontec/MocaWAN and you should be OK.

fiosne
@verizon.net

fiosne

Anon

We use ours when our two pre teen boys visit the grandparents. Both sets of grandparents have internet service ( cox and comcast) and both refuse to have a wireless router connected full time. The actiontec works fine in providing a wireless signal for the xbox live and their ipads.