spc
Search similar:

uniqs
siar4
join:2004-01-09
Calgary, AB

siar4

10GB internet providers in Calgary

I was wondering who can provide a 10GB internet connection to bankers hall downtown in Calgary. Anyone have suggestions / recommendations ?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Could you clarify? "10GB" implies a connection with ten gigabytes of transfer per month, but it sounds like you might mean you want a 10 gigabit connection (capital B means Byte).

For those kinds of speeds and prices (you're looking at a few hundred thousand dollars per year), you'd probably want to talk directly to the big transit providers. Cogent, Peer1, Level3, Telus, whomever. Especially of note would be what fibre is already running into your building. You're going to see pretty different prices if your building is on-net with a provider or not.

You might have some difficulty with this, even some of the big providers won't give you a 10 gig connection outside of a datacenter. Cogent will only do up to 2.5 Gbps on-net, 2 Gbps off-net. It's probably because their metro rings are only 10 Gbps to begin with...

You're probably better off asking this question on WebHostingTalk rather than here on DSLR, since this site is focused more on consumer and business broadband; 10 Gbps connections are ultra-high-end enterprise grade things.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to siar4

Premium Member

to siar4
What's your application, and what's your budget?

You're potentially going to be talking substantial (5-6 figures) make-ready and installation costs for a 10gig pipe, and easily 6 figures annually...

Unless you've got a hosting facility you're looking to run; you may be better moving your 'stuff' to the internet (aka a colo or DC), rather then bringing the internet to your stuff...
siar4
join:2004-01-09
Calgary, AB

siar4

yeah, I have a large budget, i need a 10Gb ( it that right?) security stack to scrub it for dos attacks, and yes a budget of 100s of k per year, in a datacenter, etc. I would like it to be in Calgary but it looks like its going to end up in the US if I can't find someone who can do it. like enmax offered a 10Gb conenction but only 2Gb of bandwidth behind it for example.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to siar4

MVM

to siar4
It's probably much more affordable to go directly with a large provider that specializes in DDoS mitigation rather than trying to do it all yourself.
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr to siar4

to siar4
This recent NANOG thread may be of interest: »comments.gmane.org/gmane ··· g/109776

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to siar4

MVM

to siar4
The basic idea is that, it's counter-productive to try to get enough bandwidth yourself to stop a DDoS. A 10 gig line can't stop a real DDoS anyhow, and you'll have to pay for it each month (well, if you commit to a lower amount you won't, but then the cost per meg will be higher).

Better to go with a dedicated DDoS provider, who has enough bandwidth to sustain a heavy DDoS (Prolexic has half a terabit per second, for example), and they don't have to dedicate a 10 gig pipe to your business 24/7.

If you still want to host things internally, most DDoS mitigation providers have solutions for that. Basically, you route everything through that company. So Prolexic would be the ones who advertise your IP, and then you get a LAN extension loop directly to them (although they could do it over an internet connection too) and the attack comes in, they filter out the malicious stuff, and then they pass on the valid requests to your slower link.

BigPipe
@shawcable.net

BigPipe to siar4

Anon

to siar4
Shaw Business offers 10Gbps Internet connections to most of the buildings in Calgary. They even mention 10 Gbps on their website:

»www.shawbusinesssolution ··· rnet.jsp