spc
uniqs
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Re: Some pre-purchase renovation questions

Thank you for all of the responses. The pool now scares me Are all the pumps and heaters and maintenance year round? We are talking about North East here, the pool is only useful for about 3 months out of a year.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Xcal brings up a good point about the insurance. In addition to the extra cost for just having the pool, we also added a million dollar umbrella policy that costs around $150 per year (but covers the house and the cars). In this sue-happy society I consider it money well spent.

Having lived in the Boston area in the past, I wouldn't even consider owning an inground pool there. There just isn't enough opportunity to use it. I'm now in Central Texas, where a pool is useful most of the year and I don't have to mess with closing the pool (though I do have to pay for the pumps to run a few hours per day even in winter).

Oh yeah, one other unavoidable cost: Property tax. The taxman wants to be paid every year for you having that hole in your backyard.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Dodge

MVM

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

Thank you for all of the responses. The pool now scares me Are all the pumps and heaters and maintenance year round? We are talking about North East here, the pool is only useful for about 3 months out of a year.

How's the saying go... The two best days in a pool owner's life is the moment it's finally being installed, and the day it's ripped out.

And for the Northeast where you only get 3 months of useful use. Ouch.

As far as the door, is the door located on a wall that's load bearing? It's easier if it's not. But it's not impossible if it is either.