share rss forum feed

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to RX300

Re: Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

I've used touchscreen devices, but my home computer has multiple large monitors. Due to their distance for optimal viewing, and their size, combine the crappy fullscreen only apps it's just a bad combination. Metro isn't friendly to multiple monitors either.

The interface was not refined enough to be released, but at least they did change it in beta that you can call up the metro start menu from any monitor, however they still don't like to have more than one metro app at the front at a time even if you have multiple monitors. Simply it's just poorly designed for the home computer, and based off the limitations of a device which usually has a single small screen.

It's called Windows, not Window. Running one program at a time is not multitasking.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

Well the Windows 8 user experience on multiple screens can be different depending on how the system is setup.

With a triple monitor setup using a GTX 670 and nVidia Surround the Start screen and New UI takes up all three screens, not just one. If you don't group the screens in Surround then that doesn't happen. I'm guessing the same is true of AMD Eyefinity,...

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Each monitor is, and should be their own boundary by default. I can run a fullscreen game, or movie on one monitor while having other applications open on another. I also have a nvidia card, and have no wishes to make it one big spanned desktop where one metro app can take up all the monitors, even more of a waste of space.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

By default each monitor seems to be an individual display.

One would have to group them together in order to have a spanned display group. This can be toggled on and off and is at the discretion of the user but it does effect how Windows 8 works on said displays,...

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

I've used touchscreen devices, but my home computer has multiple large monitors. Due to their distance for optimal viewing, and their size, combine the crappy fullscreen only apps it's just a bad combination. Metro isn't friendly to multiple monitors either.

MS just doesn't get it. A desktop computer with 4 monitors is not the same as a smartphone, and their one-size-fits-all UI is just going to be crap on one device or the other - or perhaps on both.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.