dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
dazman09
join:2010-10-28

dazman09 to fender

to fender

Re: Shaw no support new Super HD from Netflix, boo!

said by fender:

They aren't insisting on a hosted cache.

They're asking ISP's to peer with the new open connect network at the exchange.

Yup, with all the mis-information and ignorance in this thread, this is about the only on-point post here. Netflix just wants a better connection directly to ISP's for this enhanced service. They are NOT asking ISP's to host hardware for them.

Jopon is complaining that Shaw can't even handle Netflix now.. its actually very likely that its not Shaw specifically, but how Shaw currently connects to Netflix. If this peering agreement were to happen, all users would likely see an improvement, not even considering 'SuperHD'.

Netflix actually uses Amazon S3 for the majority of its CDN. It may not be that Netflix is asking to peer with Netflix itself, but wants better connections to its CDN partners like Amazon (which would bode well for Shaw customers in general).

Also note, there are Youtube caching proxy servers on Shaws network as we speak. I *think* some are in Calgary. Its likely Google bought the servers and installed them, and maintains them. Shaw just gives them some space and a fiber connection. AFAIK.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

The last article I read, Netflix was using Amazon for the transcoding, but their own CDN network.

If Amazon was doing the CDN, this whole peering relationship status wouldn't matter, from what I see, Shaw is already peered with Amazon. vx.shawcable.net I believe is Amazon in Virginia.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by kevinds:

vx.shawcable.net I believe is Amazon in Virginia.

That's just Virginia. Not necessarily amazon. There is an Internet exchange in Virginia.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

My Amazon server is 3-4 hops later.

Perhaps Amazon just happens to be peered there as well. But Amazon has a big peering exchange in Virgina too.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

Amazon is likely at a lot of the IX's.
dazman09

dazman09

Found a pretty cool site for details on Netflix OpenConnect for Super HD.

»signup.netflix.com/openconnect

They actually have hardware that can be placed in an ISP's data centers in addition to simple peering agreements. They want direct 10Gbps connections.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Where did you hear/read 10Gbps connections? I really don't think that 10 Gbps is fast enough for all of Shaw's Netflix traffic.
dazman09

dazman09

Says it on one of the pages in the link I posted. I think it also says a 'minimum of 10Gbps'.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

it may be more efficient to install Open Connect appliances in one or more metro network areas. Typically, this makes sense for individual markets serving a population of 100,000 or more broadband subscribers.

Found on one of the Netflix pages, so that puts at least one 10 Gbps applicance in each city Shaw operates in?
dazman09

dazman09

Just noticed Shaw is now SuperHD ready. Saw the little SuperHD icon next to programs while using Apple TV.

You can verify by going to »signup.netflix.com/superhd