how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

[Voip.ms] SMS support?

Does anyone have an update on when sms support will be brought to voip.ms for Canadian DIDs?

I have asked in support chat and they said "Hopefully we will be enjoying the SMS support soon this year." back in early 2012.

MartinM any chance you can update us on developments?

Thanks,
Jonathan

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

There are a number of things on VoIP.ms' to-do list that many of us are anxious to hear more about. Hoping that MartinM will shed some light

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Jonathan987

Yeah, I gave some bad deadlines back in 2012 regarding fax and sms.

We've many of our providers ready for that feature but we're currently working on finishing the upgrade to all for our POP's.

Out of curiosity and just for the sake of discussion, I wonder why this feature seems important to some of you guys. I never understood the appeal of being able to receive a SMS on a number that is not a cel phone. There must be something I'm missing.

Regarding features, this is the current priority list for first quarter:

- Finishing deployment of new software / hardware on all voice servers
- Centralizing Voicemail (Currently voicemail is individual per POP, although you can ask our staff to move your voicemail messages and greeting to any server)
- Hunting and also Call confirmation to prevent voicemail to steal a call.
- New main website
- Modernized version of the portal (Currently it's working in Module style, for example you go to voicemail section to create a voicemail then go back to Edit DID's to select the voicemail. We want to eliminate that modular concept that was born from adding features one by one when we first started).

This is the order things will be released.

Once this is done we're attacking a bunch of other features. However, while there are many features that are easy to release, we'll not release features just for the sake of having more. We want to simplify things for the customer base and we want to find a good balance. We'll certainly release a lot of useful things so don't worry, but not everything that can be done.

Wow, that was a wall of text. Sorry about that.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom

2 edits
reply to Jonathan987

Looking forward to SMS as well. I was told last week my voice might not recover after surgery next month.

EDIT: I didn't see much point in SMS over VoIP until a couple of months ago when I started losing my voice. Since then I have been looking at just about every alternate means of communication I can think of. I just unblocked SMS on my cell service in December after years of blocking all text with ATT.

I've been looking into TTY solutions, but I don't like the thought of involving a 3rd party in my communications.

What I could really use is text to speech that works with a soft phone. The other party can talk normally (I can hear just fine), then I could type my responses and the computer can read them to the other party

jibby

join:2008-03-31
reply to Jonathan987

been patiently waiting for fax and SMS since i signed up what seems like forever ago

SMS would be nice because then you'd be able to forward a voip line to a cell and still receive texts sent to the voip number (like google voice does)

news4la

join:2009-01-05
Burbank, CA

1 recommendation

reply to potato

Hi Potato

There is a company that makes equipment like that. It's called Hamilton Captel. I don't know a lot about it. I figured I would say something anyway.

RICK
--
On AIR,On LINE and On the GO!

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to MartinM

said by MartinM:

Out of curiosity and just for the sake of discussion, I wonder why this feature seems important to some of you guys. I never understood the appeal of being able to receive a SMS on a number that is not a cel phone. There must be something I'm missing.

With many (most?) households going cell phone only, people forget what it is like to have a landline phone. If someone tried to send an SMS to your landline phone number, it is lost and you don't even know they were trying to get in touch with you.

That's my reason for wanting SMS, anyway.

Jonathan987

North York, ON

1 recommendation

reply to MartinM

thanks for your reply Martin it's much appreciated and please don't feel bad for being verbose; more information/transparency is always welcome from the perspective of the customer.

As to why it is important, from what I understand 4g/LTE chips will use less energy than older 3g and WiFi chips, so using VoIP over the 4g/LTE network is something that is even more attractive. With mobile companies selling 'pay as you go' sim cards where you can buy select data capacity it is quite attractive to simply forgo the high cost of these ridiculous contracts. Friends/family have 7euro monthly cellphone contracts over in Europe while we suffer over here in North America with ridiculous prices. Reselling access on the rogers or bell network may be worth looking into if you think it's feasible. Similar to what PC mobile does.

I am not travelling that much from work or home, but when I am on a short trip having access to the occasional text/mobile call for a minimal cost would be great.

If you think that a sms to email could be implemented with a quick and dirty solution then please let me know. I'm happy to be a beta tester!

Paper on power consumption of 4g vs. older wifi technologies: »web.eecs.umich.edu/~hjx/file/mobisys12.pdf

Over the weekend I setup my aunt with CSipSimple on her Android to use with your service. It works quite well over 3g, but I couldn't get the gsm codec to work; the g729 codec is hit or miss with quality and G711u is great quality but adds up quickly towards her low bandwidth profile. Would it be possible to do a more extensive wiki tutorial on your site for that softphone? Any ideas why the gsm codec doesn't work?

Many thanks and looking forward to the updates!

Regards,
Jonathan

drivel

@comcast.net
reply to MartinM

"Out of curiosity and just for the sake of discussion, I wonder why this feature seems important to some of you guys. I never understood the appeal of being able to receive a SMS on a number that is not a cell phone. There must be something I'm missing."

For those who do not have a cell phone.

rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
reply to Jonathan987

did you select GSM under advanced settings?

Accounting Settings/advanced for main account.
or
edit the sub-account then under Advanced Options.

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to news4la

Hi news4la,

Interesting service, but its for deaf / hard-of-hearing - I can hear fine, its difficult for others to hear me on a phone (right now my voice is a mix of whispers and 'squeaks').

CapTel very similar to TTY services where a 3rd party is involved that speaks on your behalf or types messages to you. I am trying to avoid using a 3rd party "listener". In the case of CapTel, a 3rd party transcribes everything your other party is saying so you can read it on your phone.

** I didn't mean to hijack this thread. If anyone has any other suggestions for my particular case, please PM me instead of posting here. Thanks again, news4la.

Jonathan987

North York, ON
reply to rudeboy24

I just remember selecting it as the sole codec under a settings page with all the other codecs to which I also set to never use.

I don't own a cell right now and play with android this weekend was my first lengthy introduction to it

setting up the account was super easy since that app has default settings setup for voip.ms service with their servers already in a list.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia
reply to potato

said by potato:

** I didn't mean to hijack this thread. If anyone has any other suggestions for my particular case, please PM me instead of posting here.

Fire up your own thread. The readers of these threads are an incredible resource.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

conwaytwt
Premium
join:2004-04-09
Conway, AR
Reviews:
·Conway Corp.
reply to MartinM

The reason I am interested in SMS is because if I ported my cell phone DID to a VOIP provider then I'm no longer beholden to a particular cell provider, assuming I can redirect the calls and SMS messages at will.

As for the Fax service, I only need fax about twice a year, but when I need it, it's somewhat urgent. That's the only reason I recently got a DID with another provider (though they cannot supply a local DID for my home town while Voip.ms can).

I have been very happy with Voip.ms, and the price has been surprisingly reasonable for the level of service I'm getting. I don't know whether Voip.ms would make any MORE money from me if they added fax and SMS but I would really enjoy having the flexibility so I would be a more committed customer.

DoctorStinky

Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to MartinM

When do you expect the POP upgrades to be completed? I know you've done two or three, but things have gotten pretty quiet lately so it's not obvious that the upgrades are still in process. That could be good (pain-free upgrades) or bad (first few were so painful you need time to recover ).

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06
reply to MartinM

said by MartinM:

Regarding features, this is the current priority list for first quarter: [snip]

Thanks for outlining your priority list for us Martin. Letting us know what is going on in this way is indeed extremely helpful and very much appreciated.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
reply to MartinM

I disabled all SMS/MMS on my main cell phone ( still keeping it on my back up cell ) because I was tired of the costs and inconvenience of all the incoming junk SMS. I would definitely welcome this feature from my VOIP providers.
I refuse to use fax in the age of scanners, so I do not care about that.

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to MartinM

One attraction of getting text messages on your VOIP service is the ability to use a real keyboard to reply! Also if the messages weren't limited to 140 or so characters, that would be way better. Not sure if that matters though. That 140 character limit has got to go!

Definitely the future is one hub: voice(audio), text (SMS, email, fax, IM) and video (unnecessary most of the time of course and not wanted as well most of the time because it uses so much bandwith). Most people need a local number. That needs to be forwardable to any other number that will ring on your device (computer softphone, IP phone or cell). If you compartmentalize the process its much easier to figure out. Features are pretty much either incoming or outgoing related. That is VERY important. I went from paying about $40 a month for a single POTS phone line to $0 now. And when its free its anonymous. And I can have as many lines as I want anywhere in North America.

devy

@teksavvy.com
reply to Jonathan987

I'm a bit new to VOIP & SIP, but I'm starting to figure things out

I have two questions for MartinM (or anyone who can answer)...

1) Why can't I be using a mobile phone? ie. you say "I never understood the appeal of being able to receive a SMS on a number that is not a cel phone".. but don't people use VOIP/SIP on mobile devices?

2) I apologize for being slow, but I'm not clear as to where the SMS feature falls into your priority list?

Trying to find my way to having a voice & sms over IP solution that I can run on my Android device.

Thank you kindly.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

said by devy :

I'm a bit new to VOIP & SIP, but I'm starting to figure things out

I have two questions for MartinM (or anyone who can answer)...

1) Why can't I be using a mobile phone? ie. you say "I never understood the appeal of being able to receive a SMS on a number that is not a cel phone".. but don't people use VOIP/SIP on mobile devices?

2) I apologize for being slow, but I'm not clear as to where the SMS feature falls into your priority list?

Trying to find my way to having a voice & sms over IP solution that I can run on my Android device.

Thank you kindly.

My point was that if you're already using a Cel Phone, why do you want to receive the SMS somewhere else? E.G: SMS Sent to your VoIP number, received by email.

To maintain a SIP Connection over a 3G Connection, that means you already have a mobile plan. Is there a reason why you want to have people that already call your mobile and have your mobile number listed as their contact, send an SMS to a different number?

I'm not saying SMS is useless, we're just discussing. I like reading all the opinions so far and what use people would do with incoming SMS available on their SIP DID Numbers. I've seen it in action with the Jabber protocol and while it was nice as a technical point of view I failed to find a use for it.

I do see some legitimate reasons in this thread so far that qualifies outside of "hobbyist" reasons. Keep them coming.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

devy

@teksavvy.com

I don't have a mobile plan, I only have data.
I'd like to make my Android device work like a normal phone over a pure data network. VOIP/SIP seem to satisfy my voice call needs but SMS is missing.

DoctorStinky

Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to MartinM

I really only want one DID as my business telecom presence. If that DID supports all the features of a cell phone without me having to expose my cell number, that's a big benefit.

If you decide to support SMS, do you expect you'll also support SMS forwarding to CFWD DIDs in ring groups?

Voipms user

@bell.ca
reply to Jonathan987

I'm using Voip.ms as my one and only phone account. I have data plan on my phone and using Bria to make and receive calls. The option to use SMS with Voip.ms would mean I have full featured phone account not different from Rogers or Bell.

Some services (like hosting for example) ask you to verify your phone number by sending you SMS with a code. Currently it's not possible with Voip.ms
If there's an Voip.ms alternative with SMS support I'd switch in no time because lack of SMS is a HUGE inconvenience.

I don't really get Voip.ms reluctancy to add this feature while every second customer is asking for it.

Are you waiting for a competitor to offer this feature so people will switch in droves? Then it will be too late.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

said by Voipms user :

Are you waiting for a competitor to offer this feature so people will switch in droves? Then it will be too late.

One word - Anveo.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

Jonathan987

North York, ON
reply to MartinM

Hi Martin,

many thanks for your reply. devy is correct in saying that there are mobile plans which are strictly data.

Rogers for example have plans like this (not just for iPad, will work with other devices): »www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-···n1--acc0,
Or Bell: »www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_···ta_plans
Or PC telecom (using the bell network) that has anytime plans »www.pctelecom.ca/LCLOnline/dyn/M···yENG.pdf

I've talked to both Rogers and Bell about these plans and they have confirmed my thoughts of the sims working on android phones -- there doesn't seem to be vendor specific locking. I haven't heard of any such technology, but just wanted to double check.

grand total: Many thanks for mentioning this. Last time I looked at their service they didn't have sms support & it's good to see they do now. Let's hope that voip.ms puts sms higher up on their to-do list.

Anyone have any luck getting GSM codec in CSipSimple to work with the voip.ms servers?

foresto

join:2002-04-17
USA
reply to Jonathan987

I'd like to be able to:

- Give out my VoIP numbers without having to explain that they're incapable of receiving SMS (and without worrying that someone will forget).
- Forward calls and SMS to the same destination.
- Make SMS work with ring groups.
- Send/receive SMS from my computer's desktop when I'm sitting in front of it, since it's much easier than typing on a cell phone.
- Send/receive SMS via an API, so I can use it for remote automation and monitoring.

Expand your moderator at work

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to Voipms user

Re: [Voip.ms] SMS support?

said by Voipms user :

I don't really get Voip.ms reluctancy to add this feature while every second customer is asking for it.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was reluctancy? We're having a discussion here for a feature that is VERY NICHE despite what you might think. As far as I know, we're the ONLY PROVIDER openly discussing features with customers and people like you have successfully chased us off forums for years when we try to do so.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms
Expand your moderator at work