how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

devy

@teksavvy.com
reply to MartinM

Re: [Voip.ms] SMS support?

I don't have a mobile plan, I only have data.
I'd like to make my Android device work like a normal phone over a pure data network. VOIP/SIP seem to satisfy my voice call needs but SMS is missing.

DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to MartinM

I really only want one DID as my business telecom presence. If that DID supports all the features of a cell phone without me having to expose my cell number, that's a big benefit.

If you decide to support SMS, do you expect you'll also support SMS forwarding to CFWD DIDs in ring groups?

Voipms user

@bell.ca
reply to Jonathan987

I'm using Voip.ms as my one and only phone account. I have data plan on my phone and using Bria to make and receive calls. The option to use SMS with Voip.ms would mean I have full featured phone account not different from Rogers or Bell.

Some services (like hosting for example) ask you to verify your phone number by sending you SMS with a code. Currently it's not possible with Voip.ms
If there's an Voip.ms alternative with SMS support I'd switch in no time because lack of SMS is a HUGE inconvenience.

I don't really get Voip.ms reluctancy to add this feature while every second customer is asking for it.

Are you waiting for a competitor to offer this feature so people will switch in droves? Then it will be too late.

grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Anveo
·VMedia

said by Voipms user :

Are you waiting for a competitor to offer this feature so people will switch in droves? Then it will be too late.

One word - Anveo.
--
DPC3825 (bridged mode) - WRT610N + Tomato - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.0.2 on Virtual Server
Anveo - FreePhoneLine - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Callcentric - VoIP.MS - Localphone - UKDDI

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON
reply to MartinM

Hi Martin,

many thanks for your reply. devy is correct in saying that there are mobile plans which are strictly data.

Rogers for example have plans like this (not just for iPad, will work with other devices): »www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-···n1--acc0,
Or Bell: »www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_···ta_plans
Or PC telecom (using the bell network) that has anytime plans »www.pctelecom.ca/LCLOnline/dyn/M···yENG.pdf

I've talked to both Rogers and Bell about these plans and they have confirmed my thoughts of the sims working on android phones -- there doesn't seem to be vendor specific locking. I haven't heard of any such technology, but just wanted to double check.

grand total: Many thanks for mentioning this. Last time I looked at their service they didn't have sms support & it's good to see they do now. Let's hope that voip.ms puts sms higher up on their to-do list.

Anyone have any luck getting GSM codec in CSipSimple to work with the voip.ms servers?

foresto

join:2002-04-17
USA
reply to Jonathan987

I'd like to be able to:

- Give out my VoIP numbers without having to explain that they're incapable of receiving SMS (and without worrying that someone will forget).
- Forward calls and SMS to the same destination.
- Make SMS work with ring groups.
- Send/receive SMS from my computer's desktop when I'm sitting in front of it, since it's much easier than typing on a cell phone.
- Send/receive SMS via an API, so I can use it for remote automation and monitoring.

Expand your moderator at work

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3
reply to Voipms user

said by Voipms user :

I don't really get Voip.ms reluctancy to add this feature while every second customer is asking for it.

How did you come to the conclusion that it was reluctancy? We're having a discussion here for a feature that is VERY NICHE despite what you might think. As far as I know, we're the ONLY PROVIDER openly discussing features with customers and people like you have successfully chased us off forums for years when we try to do so.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms
Expand your moderator at work

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 edit
reply to foresto

said by foresto:

I'd like to be able to:

- Give out my VoIP numbers without having to explain that they're incapable of receiving SMS (and without worrying that someone will forget).
- Forward calls and SMS to the same destination.
- Make SMS work with ring groups.
- Send/receive SMS from my computer's desktop when I'm sitting in front of it, since it's much easier than typing on a cell phone.
- Send/receive SMS via an API, so I can use it for remote automation and monitoring.

Foresto, thanks for your contribution. I've forwarded this info to our development team. Regards.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

Jonathan987

North York, ON

Foresto, many thanks for your suggestions they are good ones.

MartinM I'm sorry that things in this thread went sour. Please just disregard him so we can have constructive brainstorming; the rest of us voip.ms customers really appreciate your open conversation.

I know that there about 4 people in my family that are looking forward to this feature in addition to a couple of friends. Any chance it could be put higher in the development roadmap?

Many thanks as usual,
Jonathan

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

said by Jonathan987:

Foresto, many thanks for your suggestions they are good ones.

MartinM I'm sorry that things in this thread went sour. Please just disregard him so we can have constructive brainstorming; the rest of us voip.ms customers really appreciate your open conversation.

I know that there about 4 people in my family that are looking forward to this feature in addition to a couple of friends. Any chance it could be put higher in the development roadmap?

Many thanks as usual,
Jonathan

Sorry I jumped the gun but mentions of "my favorite provider is better than yours" if become old, in a forum that is supposed to promote VoIP usage intead of commercial perception and preference.

Anyway, here's the current position with VoIP.ms:

Our main Canadian provider is open to test SMS with us. Our main US provider is alrady supporting it, but we still have to determine a way to interfact between the two of us. International Numbers are impossible.

SMS Support sits in the top tier of our requested features, and we want to release it. We are studying in which way people are going to use it to find the best way for implementation. We have no ETA and it's not to be released in the first quarter of 2013. We're in early testing phases.

--
Martin - VoiP.ms

Jonathan987

North York, ON

I'm very glad to hear all of this and will pass on the news to everyone. I'm sure you'll need beta testers and I'll be happy to help out with beta testing as mentioned earlier in the thread Feel free to send me a pm when it's gotten that far!

Have a good one,
Jonathan

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 edit

1 recommendation

We already have stuff in beta if you and others in this forums are interested in. Just send in your ID and we'll had you to beta testers.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms

foresto

join:2002-04-17
USA

1 edit
reply to foresto

said by foresto:

I should probably clarify that, for desktop use, I would consider email a last resort SMS delivery mechanism. Something suited to interactive conversations would be better; perhaps a jabber (XMPP) gateway so I could use an instant messaging client.

said by MartinM:

Foresto, thanks for your contribution.

You're welcome! Thanks for asking.

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
reply to MartinM

I have to add my voice in support of SMS on Voip.ms. Having SMS is one of the main reason I still keep one of my cell phones. If Voip.ms supported SMS I would be able to consolidate all calls through one cell phone.

potato

join:2012-12-13
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to foresto

said by foresto:

I should probably clarify that, for desktop use, I would consider email a last resort SMS delivery mechanism. Something suited to interactive conversations would be better; perhaps a jabber (XMPP) gateway so I could use an instant messaging client.

I was just going to post this suggestion. I've already added "Conv. input chars count" plugin to pidgin to keep an eye on that 140 char limit. XMPP SMS integration would certainly be a winner be a winner in my book.

Of course, some sort of sms notification when you are 'Extended Away' or 'Offline' would need to be implemented too. SMS forward to cell or SMS to email if XMPP presence is anything other than 'Available' or 'Away'. Email would be my preference since I am considering moving to an all data plan (MiFi).

LOGIK

@electronicbox.net
reply to Jonathan987

Same for me, waiting for sms support to drop my cell voice plan for a data only plan. Cell plan are so expensive in canada.

BTW iam very happy with voip.ms. Nice support, very good quality of service, low price. Nice jobs

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 recommendation

Thanks guys for all the feedback in regard to the importance of SMS for you.

We'll do our best to make them available asap. All the useful feedback provided in this thread has been saved.
--
Martin - VoiP.ms